Re: Curious: your reading history

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 24, 2009
      I'm curious. What is the first book that people recall purchasing for
      > themselves with their own money?

      (It was a bunch of DC Comics--Action Comics, Superboy, Jimmy Olsen--
      they were ten cents apiece then. My uncle had given me ninety cents and
      I blew it all on comicbooks. He looked on me with disgust after I told
      him)

      > What was the first genre book that you purchased?

      (Comic books. The first real books--paperbacks, were James Bond and
      Mandingo novels)

      > What was the book that you shared with others in sheer delight?

      (A Blackhawk comic book)

      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "md_moore42" <md_moore42@...>
      wrote:

      > I'm curious. What is the first book that people recall purchasing for
      > themselves with their own money?
      > What was the first genre book that you purchased?
      > What was the book that you shared with others in sheer delight?
      >
      > --
      > I can start.
      > I bought "At the back of the North Wind" in the 3rd grade. It's by
      > George Macdonald. He was in the same club as C.S. Lewis and Tolkien,
      > although I had not heard of them when I bought this book.
      > It's a genre book.
      >
      > A set of books shared with others: the Narnia books. A friend and I
      > were crazy about them. Again around 3rd to 4th grade. We hunted down
      > the individual books among all of the library branches in my town.

    • Stefanie Worth
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 24, 2009
        Well, I spent most of my elementary school years borrowing books from
        the school library or the bookmobile (who remembers those). But my
        parents always belonged to those Book of the Month clubs. The first
        book I checked out that really stuck with me was Mio My Son by Astrid
        Lindgren. That story seemed so vivid and has always stuck with me.
        But, the first book I remember buying was Carrie by Stephen King. I've
        been hooked on this genre of ours ever since. The first book I dared
        to share -- as in loan -- was Toni Morrison's Beloved. I never got it
        back and I no longer "share" books that way. In terms of sharing as
        far as passing on, that would be a collector's edition of The Hobbit I
        bought when I was pregnant with my eldest, now nearly 20.

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "md_moore42" <md_moore42@...> wrote:

        > I'm curious. What is the first book that people recall purchasing for
        > themselves with their own money?
        > What was the first genre book that you purchased?
        > What was the book that you shared with others in sheer delight?

      • md_moore42
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 24, 2009
          Ah yes, I remember bookmobiles. Most of the Narnia books that we
          located in the 3 to 4th grade were from the bookmobile.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 24, 2009
            Those were the days, when you could actually get a stack of comic
            books for 90 cents.
            I recall when they were 10 to 25 cents.

            --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden"
            <belsidus2000@...> wrote:

            > I'm curious. What is the first book that people recall purchasing for
            > > themselves with their own money?
            >
            > (It was a bunch of DC Comics--Action Comics, Superboy, Jimmy Olsen--
            > they were ten cents apiece then. My uncle had given me ninety cents and
            > I blew it all on comicbooks. He looked on me with disgust after I told
            > him)
            >
            > > What was the first genre book that you purchased?
            >
            > (Comic books. The first real books--paperbacks, were James Bond and
            > Mandingo novels)
            >
            > > What was the book that you shared with others in sheer delight?
            >
            > (A Blackhawk comic book)
            >

            > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "md_moore42" <md_moore42@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm curious. What is the first book that people recall purchasing for
            > > themselves with their own money?
            > > What was the first genre book that you purchased?
            > > What was the book that you shared with others in sheer delight?
            > >
            > > --
            > > I can start.
            > > I bought "At the back of the North Wind" in the 3rd grade. It's by
            > > George Macdonald. He was in the same club as C.S. Lewis and Tolkien,
            > > although I had not heard of them when I bought this book.
            > > It's a genre book.
            > >
            > > A set of books shared with others: the Narnia books. A friend and I
            > > were crazy about them. Again around 3rd to 4th grade. We hunted down
            > > the individual books among all of the library branches in my town.

          • ravenadal
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 25, 2009
              The first books I purchased were paperback copies of reprinted
              "Peanuts" cartoons (they were a schoolyard rage back in 1963-64) that
              I think sold for $.25 apiece.

              The first genre book I purchased was a novel called "Black and Blue
              Magic" by Zipha Keatley Snyder. This novel opened up my head in
              significant ways and informs everything I am both as a reader and a
              writer.

              When it comes sharing my prized possessions, "Sharon" (sharing) is a
              girl's name and my name is...

              ~rave!

              --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "md_moore42" <md_moore42@...> wrote:

              > I'm curious. What is the first book that people recall purchasing for
              > themselves with their own money?
              > What was the first genre book that you purchased?
              > What was the book that you shared with others in sheer delight?
              >
              > --
              > I can start.
              > I bought "At the back of the North Wind" in the 3rd grade. It's by
              > George Macdonald. He was in the same club as C.S. Lewis and Tolkien,
              > although I had not heard of them when I bought this book.
              > It's a genre book.
              >
              > A set of books shared with others: the Narnia books. A friend and I
              > were crazy about them. Again around 3rd to 4th grade. We hunted down
              > the individual books among all of the library branches in my town.

            • Jeff Carter
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 25, 2009
                On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:43 PM, md_moore42 <md_moore42@...> wrote:

                > I'm curious. What is the first book that people recall purchasing for
                > themselves with their own money?
                > The first books I purchased with my own money were a stack of x-men and
                > new mutant comic books. I still remember the story line from the X-men was
                > the introduction of Rogue to the team, and with the new mutants it was a
                > story line about mutant gladiator fights. The first actual book that I
                > purchased was the Skeleton Crew by Stephen King.
                >

                > What was the first genre book that you purchased? Comic Books,
                > Scifi/horror
                >

                > What was the book that you shared with others in sheer delight? The New
                > Mutants

              • B. Smith
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2009
                  > I'm curious. What is the first book that people recall purchasing
                  for themselves with their own money?
                  Comic books but the first actual novel I ever bought was a collection
                  of Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars novels. I'd read my best friend's copy
                  of The Synthetic Men of Mars and went and grabbed the first bunch of
                  Burroughs Mars novels I could find. It contained Swords of Mars and
                  Llana of Gathol.

                  > What was the first genre book that you purchased?
                  See above. :)

                  > What was the book that you shared with others in sheer delight?
                  My first collection of Robert E. Howard's Conan stories.

                  --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...>