Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Octavian Nothing

  • Lord Hades
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 16, 2008
      They're called duologies...

      ravenadal <ravenadal@...> wrote: Has anybody read the Octavian Nothing two-book series (is there a term
      for a two-book series i.e., a three-book series is a "trilogy") by
      M.T. "Tobin" Anderson?

      A gothic tale becomes all too shockingly real in this mesmerizing
      magnum opus by the acclaimed author of Feed.
      It sounds like a fairy tale. He is a boy dressed in silks and white
      wigs and given the finest of classical educations. Raised by a group
      of rational philosophers known only by numbers, the boy and his mother
      — a princess in exile from a faraway land — are the only persons in
      their household assigned names. As the boy's regal mother, Cassiopeia,
      entertains the house scholars with her beauty and wit, young Octavian
      begins to question the purpose behind his guardians' fanatical
      studies. Only after he dares to open a forbidden door does he learn
      the hideous nature of their experiments — and his own chilling role in
      them.

      Set against the disquiet of Revolutionary Boston, M. T. Anderson's
      extraordinary novel takes place at a time when American Patriots
      rioted and battled to win liberty while African slaves were entreated
      to risk their lives for a freedom they would never claim. The first of
      two parts, this deeply provocative novel reimagines the past as an
      eerie place that has startling resonance for readers today.

      ADAMA FOR PRESIDENT

    • ravenadal
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 16, 2008
        Thanks large! (nothing pleases me more than learning a new word!)

        ~rave!

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Lord Hades <hades3030@...>
        wrote:

        > They're called duologies...
        >
        > ravenadal <ravenadal@...> wrote: Has
        anybody read the Octavian Nothing two-book series (is there a term
        > for a two-book series i.e., a three-book series is a "trilogy") by
        > M.T. "Tobin" Anderson?
        >
        > A gothic tale becomes all too shockingly real in this mesmerizing
        > magnum opus by the acclaimed author of Feed.
        > It sounds like a fairy tale. He is a boy dressed in silks and white
        > wigs and given the finest of classical educations. Raised by a
        group
        > of rational philosophers known only by numbers, the boy and his
        mother
        > — a princess in exile from a faraway land — are the only persons in
        > their household assigned names. As the boy's regal mother,
        Cassiopeia,
        > entertains the house scholars with her beauty and wit, young
        Octavian
        > begins to question the purpose behind his guardians' fanatical
        > studies. Only after he dares to open a forbidden door does he learn
        > the hideous nature of their experiments — and his own chilling role
        in
        > them.
        >
        > Set against the disquiet of Revolutionary Boston, M. T. Anderson's
        > extraordinary novel takes place at a time when American Patriots
        > rioted and battled to win liberty while African slaves were
        entreated
        > to risk their lives for a freedom they would never claim. The first
        of
        > two parts, this deeply provocative novel reimagines the past as an
        > eerie place that has startling resonance for readers today.
        >

        > ADAMA FOR PRESIDENT

      • Lord Hades
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 16, 2008
          Well, I heard that before but I'm probably completely wrong...but you're welcome!

          ravenadal <ravenadal@...> wrote: Thanks large! (nothing pleases me more than learning a new word!)

          wrote:

          > They're called duologies...
          >
          > ravenadal <ravenadal@...> wrote: Has
          anybody read the Octavian Nothing two-book series (is there a term
          > for a two-book series i.e., a three-book series is a "trilogy") by
          > M.T. "Tobin" Anderson?
          >
          > A gothic tale becomes all too shockingly real in this mesmerizing
          > magnum opus by the acclaimed author of Feed.
          > It sounds like a fairy tale. He is a boy dressed in silks and white
          > wigs and given the finest of classical educations. Raised by a
          group
          > of rational philosophers known only by numbers, the boy and his
          mother
          > — a princess in exile from a faraway land — are the only persons in
          > their household assigned names. As the boy's regal mother,
          Cassiopeia,
          > entertains the house scholars with her beauty and wit, young
          Octavian
          > begins to question the purpose behind his guardians' fanatical
          > studies. Only after he dares to open a forbidden door does he learn
          > the hideous nature of their experiments — and his own chilling role
          in
          > them.
          >
          > Set against the disquiet of Revolutionary Boston, M. T. Anderson's
          > extraordinary novel takes place at a time when American Patriots
          > rioted and battled to win liberty while African slaves were
          entreated
          > to risk their lives for a freedom they would never claim. The first
          of
          > two parts, this deeply provocative novel reimagines the past as an
          > eerie place that has startling resonance for readers today.
          >

          > ADAMA FOR PRESIDENT

          ADAMA FOR PRESIDENT