[SciFiNoir Lit] Re: Is Steve Barnes the dean of African American SF Writers?

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 14, 2008
      (I actually put this up more for discussion. Of course there is room
      for one, two or many deans. When the inevitable discussions are
      started about Black SF ("Well, who worth a damn is writing it" it
      would be good to throw out some names besides our own)

      One unfortunate byproduct of this discussion is that I remembered how
      much I hate Steve for marrying Tananarive Due--stay focused, Chris.
      Stay objective...)

      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Victor J. Raymond"
      <vraymond@...> wrote:

      > (Can't help but poke just a little)
      >
      > Does that mean there's only one label per customer? ;)
      >
      > > (Delaney is the dean of gay science fiction writers)
      > >
      > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Samuel R. Delany is the dean of African American SF writers.
      Steven
      > > > Barnes is a visiting professor, a literary huckster who has
      pitched
      > > > his tent and is very good at hawking his wares.
      >
      > Victor Raymond
      > vraymond@...

    • md_moore42
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 18, 2008
        Well, if we are going to populate a school of writing, what deans
        should we have?

        * dean of SF writing
        * dean of fantasy
        * dean of romance writing
        * dean of horror writing (I guess that is Due?)
        * dean of science writing (Dr. Tyson?)
        * dean of poetry (we probably can sub-divide this into areas)
        * dean of journalism
        * dean of literary criticism

        etc.

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <belsidus2000@...>
        wrote:

        > (I actually put this up more for discussion. Of course there is room
        > for one, two or many deans. When the inevitable discussions are
        > started about Black SF ("Well, who worth a damn is writing it" it
        > would be good to throw out some names besides our own)
        >
        > One unfortunate byproduct of this discussion is that I remembered how
        > much I hate Steve for marrying Tananarive Due--stay focused, Chris.
        > Stay objective...)
        >
        > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Victor J. Raymond"
        > vraymond@ wrote:
        > >
        > > (Can't help but poke just a little)
        > >
        > > Does that mean there's only one label per customer? ;)
        > >
        > > > (Delaney is the dean of gay science fiction writers)
        > > >
        > > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@>

        > Steven
        > pitched
        > >
        > > Victor Raymond
        > > vraymond@

      • Sincere
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 19, 2008
          Well if we're taking nominations...

          Dean of *black/african* fantasy I suppose would go to Charles Saunders...
          depending on how one defines fantasy. He's got the most under his belt,
          *that I know of.* Honorable mention to David Anthony Durham's Acacia (though
          I'm not sure how Durham "identifies" himself); but he's very new on the
          scene--at least to fantasy. Though perhaps, he might be the only
          well-published writer to qualify for a black Dean of High Fantasy--as I'd
          classify Barnes as more so sword and sorcery fantasy.

          I'm leaving out black comic book writers because I see comics as a unique
          genre of art and writing. Any more noteworthy figures I'm missing?

          As for a Dean of Horror Writing, okay...I can see Due high on the nominee
          list. But where does Nalo Hopkinson fit in? Not all her stories are
          supernatural (like Greedy Choke Puppy), but some of them (even the sci fi
          ones) are a bit...freakish and intended to be frightening. Is there a black
          Dean of Freakish Supernatural Sci Fi Stuff that she might fit in? lol

          And what exactly does S. Barne's Lion Blood series count as? Someone I know
          tried to place it as fantasy, to which I vehmently disagreed (though I've
          seen it placed there in bookstores). More like an alternative
          history/timeline story...which I guess belongs to sci-fi.

          Thoughts...?

          Sin / BG

          On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 6:47 PM, md_moore42 <md_moore42@...> wrote:

          > Well, if we are going to populate a school of writing, what deans
          > should we have?
          >
          > * dean of SF writing
          > * dean of fantasy
          > * dean of romance writing
          > * dean of horror writing (I guess that is Due?)
          > * dean of science writing (Dr. Tyson?)
          > * dean of poetry (we probably can sub-divide this into areas)
          > * dean of journalism
          > * dean of literary criticism
          >
          > etc.
          >
          > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com <SciFiNoir_Lit%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Chris Hayden" <belsidus2000@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > (I actually put this up more for discussion. Of course there is room
          > > for one, two or many deans. When the inevitable discussions are
          > > started about Black SF ("Well, who worth a damn is writing it" it
          > > would be good to throw out some names besides our own)
          > >
          > > One unfortunate byproduct of this discussion is that I remembered how
          > > much I hate Steve for marrying Tananarive Due--stay focused, Chris.
          > > Stay objective...)
          > >
          > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com <SciFiNoir_Lit%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "Victor J. Raymond"
          > > vraymond@ wrote:
          > > >
          > > > (Can't help but poke just a little)
          > > >
          > > > Does that mean there's only one label per customer? ;)

          > "ravenadal" <ravenadal@>

          > > Steven
          > > pitched
          > > >
          > > > Victor Raymond
          > > > vraymond@

        • md_moore42
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 19, 2008
            Agreed: The Lion's Blood books are alternative history. Alternative
            history is usually shelved with SF unless it is Michael Chabon (laugh).
            Then you get NPR hosts horrifed to hear that "The Yiddish Policeman..."
            won a Hugo award.

            Why don't we give Nalo the "magical realism" deanship?