Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Re: Is Steve Barnes the dean of African American SF Writers?

  • Victor J. Raymond
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
      (Can't help but poke just a little)

      Does that mean there's only one label per customer? ;)

      > (Delaney is the dean of gay science fiction writers)
      >
      > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Samuel R. Delany is the dean of African American SF writers. Steven
      > > Barnes is a visiting professor, a literary huckster who has pitched
      > > his tent and is very good at hawking his wares.

      Victor Raymond
      vraymond@...
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 14, 2008
        (I actually put this up more for discussion. Of course there is room
        for one, two or many deans. When the inevitable discussions are
        started about Black SF ("Well, who worth a damn is writing it" it
        would be good to throw out some names besides our own)

        One unfortunate byproduct of this discussion is that I remembered how
        much I hate Steve for marrying Tananarive Due--stay focused, Chris.
        Stay objective...)

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Victor J. Raymond"
        <vraymond@...> wrote:

        > (Can't help but poke just a little)
        >
        > Does that mean there's only one label per customer? ;)
        >
        > > (Delaney is the dean of gay science fiction writers)
        > >
        > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Samuel R. Delany is the dean of African American SF writers.
        Steven
        > > > Barnes is a visiting professor, a literary huckster who has
        pitched
        > > > his tent and is very good at hawking his wares.
        >
        > Victor Raymond
        > vraymond@...

      • md_moore42
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 18, 2008
          Well, if we are going to populate a school of writing, what deans
          should we have?

          * dean of SF writing
          * dean of fantasy
          * dean of romance writing
          * dean of horror writing (I guess that is Due?)
          * dean of science writing (Dr. Tyson?)
          * dean of poetry (we probably can sub-divide this into areas)
          * dean of journalism
          * dean of literary criticism

          etc.

          --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <belsidus2000@...>
          wrote:

          > (I actually put this up more for discussion. Of course there is room
          > for one, two or many deans. When the inevitable discussions are
          > started about Black SF ("Well, who worth a damn is writing it" it
          > would be good to throw out some names besides our own)
          >
          > One unfortunate byproduct of this discussion is that I remembered how
          > much I hate Steve for marrying Tananarive Due--stay focused, Chris.
          > Stay objective...)
          >
          > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Victor J. Raymond"
          > vraymond@ wrote:
          > >
          > > (Can't help but poke just a little)
          > >
          > > Does that mean there's only one label per customer? ;)
          > >
          > > > (Delaney is the dean of gay science fiction writers)
          > > >
          > > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@>

          > Steven
          > pitched
          > >
          > > Victor Raymond
          > > vraymond@

        • Sincere
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 19, 2008
            Well if we're taking nominations...

            Dean of *black/african* fantasy I suppose would go to Charles Saunders...
            depending on how one defines fantasy. He's got the most under his belt,
            *that I know of.* Honorable mention to David Anthony Durham's Acacia (though
            I'm not sure how Durham "identifies" himself); but he's very new on the
            scene--at least to fantasy. Though perhaps, he might be the only
            well-published writer to qualify for a black Dean of High Fantasy--as I'd
            classify Barnes as more so sword and sorcery fantasy.

            I'm leaving out black comic book writers because I see comics as a unique
            genre of art and writing. Any more noteworthy figures I'm missing?

            As for a Dean of Horror Writing, okay...I can see Due high on the nominee
            list. But where does Nalo Hopkinson fit in? Not all her stories are
            supernatural (like Greedy Choke Puppy), but some of them (even the sci fi
            ones) are a bit...freakish and intended to be frightening. Is there a black
            Dean of Freakish Supernatural Sci Fi Stuff that she might fit in? lol

            And what exactly does S. Barne's Lion Blood series count as? Someone I know
            tried to place it as fantasy, to which I vehmently disagreed (though I've
            seen it placed there in bookstores). More like an alternative
            history/timeline story...which I guess belongs to sci-fi.

            Thoughts...?

            Sin / BG

            On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 6:47 PM, md_moore42 <md_moore42@...> wrote:

            > Well, if we are going to populate a school of writing, what deans
            > should we have?
            >
            > * dean of SF writing
            > * dean of fantasy
            > * dean of romance writing
            > * dean of horror writing (I guess that is Due?)
            > * dean of science writing (Dr. Tyson?)
            > * dean of poetry (we probably can sub-divide this into areas)
            > * dean of journalism
            > * dean of literary criticism
            >
            > etc.
            >
            > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com <SciFiNoir_Lit%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Chris Hayden" <belsidus2000@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > (I actually put this up more for discussion. Of course there is room
            > > for one, two or many deans. When the inevitable discussions are
            > > started about Black SF ("Well, who worth a damn is writing it" it
            > > would be good to throw out some names besides our own)
            > >
            > > One unfortunate byproduct of this discussion is that I remembered how
            > > much I hate Steve for marrying Tananarive Due--stay focused, Chris.
            > > Stay objective...)
            > >
            > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com <SciFiNoir_Lit%40yahoogroups.com>,
            > "Victor J. Raymond"
            > > vraymond@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > (Can't help but poke just a little)
            > > >
            > > > Does that mean there's only one label per customer? ;)

            > "ravenadal" <ravenadal@>

            > > Steven
            > > pitched
            > > >
            > > > Victor Raymond
            > > > vraymond@

          • md_moore42
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 19, 2008
              Agreed: The Lion's Blood books are alternative history. Alternative
              history is usually shelved with SF unless it is Michael Chabon (laugh).
              Then you get NPR hosts horrifed to hear that "The Yiddish Policeman..."
              won a Hugo award.

              Why don't we give Nalo the "magical realism" deanship?