Locus Bestsellers Week of June 17

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 23, 2008
    • md_moore42
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2008
        So, which are your favorites on the list?
        I want to read the Doctorow and the Diaz book. I haven't seen them yet.

        I've read "The Yiddish Policeman's Union" and loved it. I like "The
        Historian" well enough to buy an extra copy and give it as a gift. I
        liked Pratchett's "Making Money" also.

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <belsidus2000@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2008
          "1984"
          "Fahrenheit 451"
          "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao"

          It is telling to me that two of the books on the list are over 50
          years old.

          --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "md_moore42" <md_moore42@...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2008
            Yes, the conditions that they describe are with us today.

            I do love F451. I have never finished 1984--but I've seen at least 3
            movies based on it. One of these days I will go back to it. So many
            books, too little time.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 28, 2008
              (Why would today's conditions prompt us to read books fifty years
              old? What can we learn from them, and what plan of action do they
              contain.

              Also, why are the only books that speak to conditions that operate
              today those written 50 years ago? Why don't today's writers write
              books that address the conditions of today--which, after all Bradbury
              and Orwell were doing when they wrote their books?)