Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Re: Looking for Black Artists and Writers

  • mitch mack
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28, 2008
      Hmmm, thanx, I will check her out. I'm always on the lookout for new afrocentric sci-fi stuff anyways. Again, thanx.

      scarl26 <scarl26@...> wrote: You really have to check out Sharla Shangeling. She is fromthe
      Caribbean and about to launch her fantasy book in August- The Secret
      of the Sundance Caves. I've seen snipets of the book in a pre-
      release she did of the first few chaps and it is amazing! It takes
      the Caribbean to a whole new level and really uses it as a wonderful
      locale for fantasy and folk lore.

      Contact her at sharlashangeling@...

      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "savagedragon77"
      <savagedragon77@...> wrote:

      > I am trying to put together a zine and possibly a website for
      African
      > American artists and writers. It won't be like The Source or
      anything,
      > it's more for us that like science fiction, fantasy, horror, comic
      > books, and are doing it. For us who like Jean Michel Basquiat, De
      La
      > Soul, Blackstar, Jimi Hendrix, Funkadelic/Parliament, Afro
      Samurai,
      > and anything of the like. We also want to reach out farther to
      > anything like old school Jazz, the Blues, African, Carribean,
      culture
      > folk lore, the whole nine yards. Heck we may even have comic
      strips
      > for those budding artists.
      >
      > To have music and movie reviews of films like I Am Legend or the
      new
      > Wu Tang album. For Us, By Us, For Real. Looking for artists to
      > collaborate in the form of artwork, reviews, and such.

    • Club Services
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 29, 2008
        http://www.jivagoswamidasa.com/offer.htm
        http://www.jivagoswamidasa.com/interest.htm
        The first address here links to the page I posted which may serve as your gateway to getting published if you like. the second is a link to some of the published works of yours truly. Contact me for more details if you like. Pretend I am not here also, if that is what you need to do! :)
        Very Respectfully
        jivajiva (President Club Services)

      • Astromancer
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 29, 2008
          Yeah...What Chris said...

          Chris Hayden <Frofidemus@...> wrote: (His whole approach is some old amateur fan club BS.

          He didn't say how to contact him, doesn't give us much to go on other
          than "I am trying to put together a zine".

          Lemme tell you, when people who got their act together and want to do
          more than talk about it (or who have this bright idea and want to get
          a bunch of other people to do all the work) start something, they
          already got it going, or if they are not, they call for submissions
          for issue #1.

          I been there. I done that. He is hardly the first to put up such an
          announcement, waste people's time with a bunch of grandiose plans,
          comp a tude over something and then traipse on off and you never hear
          from him again.

          Who was that guy, Jesse what's his name who was going to teach us all
          how to write SF? Where is HE now? The ball is in his court)

          --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Astromancer <cwbadie@...> wrote:

          > It's not that...he didn't exactly say how to contact him...didn't
          give us much to go on either...

          > mitch mack <savagedragon77@...> wrote: Okay, so no more
          artistic people want to be involved in this. Surprising.

          in.http://www.jivagoswamidasa.com/interest.htm
          > Very respectfully
          > jivajiva (President Club Services)
          >
          > savagedragon77 <savagedragon77@...> wrote: I am trying to put
          together a zine and possibly a website for African
          > American artists and writers. It won't be like The Source or
          anything,
          > it's more for us that like science fiction, fantasy, horror, comic
          > books, and are doing it. For us who like Jean Michel Basquiat, De
          La
          > Soul, Blackstar, Jimi Hendrix, Funkadelic/Parliament, Afro Samurai,
          > and anything of the like. We also want to reach out farther to
          > anything like old school Jazz, the Blues, African, Carribean,
          culture
          > folk lore, the whole nine yards. Heck we may even have comic strips
          > for those budding artists.
          >
          > To have music and movie reviews of films like I Am Legend or the
          new
          > Wu Tang album. For Us, By Us, For Real. Looking for artists to
          > collaborate in the form of artwork, reviews, and such.

          > "I am me," said the stranger, "and I work for the ones who pay my
          fee...and that's not you." - The Side Street Chonicles by C.W. Badie

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 29, 2008
            Hot air or no, most of us are already doing, learning or published as writers...So you'll understand when you just drop out of nowhere and offer something with very little explanation, you're going to get a nonreaction...BTW, we (at least I) still have no idea wh you are...

            Club Services <aaaclub_services@...> wrote: Who I am is a profound question. Teaching people to write is something I definitely offered to do, and I posted a URL for beginning if anyone is interested. Obviously, I can be reached here, if the various URLs I've posted don't work for you. If you want to get published, I will guide you to get yourself published. It is as simple as that. How I would / will help anyone who is interested get themselves published depends totally on the position of the aspirant. If you do the work, you get the result. I really don't understand the mentality of those who say they are being blocked from writing by external forces and those who say for example that I made an offer but now seem to not be around. Sometimes I think this is actually a hot air board ... up in here.

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 1, 2008
                I have been a member of this board for years and have undergone several iterations of this kind of talk. I have not dropped out of no where, in my opinion. When people here talk about not getting published due to some external force or forces, I have over the years offered to help. I have noticed a pattern on this board of people who write in and talk as if what is keeping them from getting published is something other than their own gumption. Again, that I have dropped out of no where may be your perspective, but respectfully, I am not ethereal.
                No?
                jivajiva (President Club Services)

                Astromancer <cwbadie@...> wrote: Hot air or no, most of us are already doing, learning or published as writers...So you'll understand when you just drop out of nowhere and offer something with very little explanation, you're going to get a nonreaction...BTW, we (at least I) still have no idea wh you are...

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 1, 2008
                  You say, "Thanks for the link," and my instinct tells me to post back, saying something like "You are Welcome," and you are welcome, true, but I am struck by the abbreviated tone to communication these days. In other words, when I interact with the kids on line, they do not respond with "Your welcome" flavors. It isn't that I'm not welcome, but that part of the traditional communication process steps are becoming truncated, here in 2008 already. I send my son a message which I think may be important, for example, and he does not respond at all. He seems to feel like since he received the message, there is no need to respond.
                  I don't know ... this board is a place for wordsmith affeciandos, and affeciandas, I see where someone says, "Thanks," and I think of going "your welcome" but this would maybe not be appropriate in today's evolving communication theater.
                  I'll tell you what ... if you'd like to have a good time and you want to sample a typical Jesse Miller Black Science Fiction story, one which touches on if not revolves about evolution in communication click on http://www.jivagoswamidasa.com/catrun.htm
                  no?

                  Astromancer <cwbadie@...> wrote: Thanks for the link, Mr. Miller...

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 1, 2008
                    No argument from me, as I've actually seen it many times before too. But for all those interested, I don't want anything from anyone just yet. I want to sculpt the idea first and foremost. I rather do the zine first and circulate that. The print thing is going out of style but if it's in people's hands it has more of an effect.

                    I would like the first stuff to be reviews of stuff. Then we can move into doing creative stuff.

                    I can be contacted at savagedragon77@...

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 1, 2008
                      I, Chris, Carole, and, I'm sure, several others have already been published on some level or another...So I'm sure that is not a problem with us...In a group of writers and writing fans, the subject of publishing is going to come up...On my behalf, I am not rejecting you or your offers for help...You also have to understand that there have been others who have come into our group with like offers, so please don't take it personal if such an offer meets up with a healthy dose of skepticism...I'm sure that there are some here who will go to your site and take you up on your offer...A good move on your behalf is that you gave us a chance to investigate your offer of assistance...Be patient...Someone is going to come to you to see!

                      Club Services <aaaclub_services@...> wrote: I have been a member of this board for years and have undergone several iterations of this kind of talk. I have not dropped out of no where, in my opinion. When people here talk about not getting published due to some external force or forces, I have over the years offered to help. I have noticed a pattern on this board of people who write in and talk as if what is keeping them from getting published is something other than their own gumption. Again, that I have dropped out of no where may be your perspective, but respectfully, I am not ethereal.
                      No?

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 2, 2008
                          Yes, I’m Jesse (Catalyst Run) Miller. I am attaching a picture of me and "my" wife today. You could put a few other titles after and in the middle of my name. You ask for more detail with regard to how I’d help someone who feels externally barred from getting published. Well, it is like this: I’d help whomever get through those external barriers, because that is generally certainly do-able. That is, if a guy or girl is sitting around going, “What’s the use, I’ll never get published because I’m a person of color ...” then I’d walk that person through whatever particular steps are needed to produce a quality finished work. I would not want to get into grammar work, that would be for editors. I would not want to get into going over any given concept, or similarly delving. I would be walking with whomever in order to comb out that which is productive in the process and disregard that which takes away from production. How this would apply to any particular person
                          depends on the position of that person. I guess the over riding stipulation if there is one, is that we’d agree to be absolutely honest with each other.
                          Talking about what people say on this board ... what I see sometimes and what I address or offer to address with this offer is a situation where people spend more time and energy talking about why they can not write than actually writing.
                          Upon publication, and only upon publication I’d accept some very nominal payment.
                          As for what is meant by truncated communication, I did not mean to attribute that tag to anyone here. I was talking (as usual?) about myself: You thanked me for the link, I considered not responding because that seems to be the new way sometimes. You went, “Thanks,” I considered that if and when I say “Thanks” to one of the kids around here, (not this board ... but these times) they say nothing. I thought maybe that is how I should proceed. But I came out anyway with feedback, because ... well, I am a compulsive writer. Speaking of which, if you like Catalyst Run, formula shtick if ever there was one, but nice enough to be nominated for a Nebula, see the assortment at http://www.jivagoswamidasa.com/interest.htm
                          Find more particulars about helping those among us who restrict themselves and blame others ... (I am smiling) at http://www.jivagoswamidasa.com/offer.htm

                          Astromancer <cwbadie@...> wrote: I'll be damned...Jesse 'Catalyst Run' Miller...An honor to meet you, sir! Yes, I am familiar with your story...Everyone, this is the very first sci-fi short story that I read with black characters! Jesse Miller is the man who wrote it! LOL...As I grow older, this damned world gets smaller by the minute...As of this minute, I stand corrected. So would you mind sharing a little more of what you had in mind, sir? Oh yes...If you had planned on making this into a screenplay, I figured that Ron O'Neil should have been Arvius...You probably not agree, but I thought that Jack Palance (I know, he's white) would he been perfect as Arvius' nemisis, John Gutley. Also, I sure as hell meant thank you for the link...The short response was an attempt to avoid conflict in our group. However, I am glad you took it as a challenge...it is truly a pleasure to meet you! Wow...First Dick Hill, now Jesse Miller!

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 3, 2008
                                On the offers with regard to magazines or collections of stories, when I see such offers here, I respond, and I write for such folks. I am not bitter about people who make such offers and disappear. Sometimes such people don’t disappear, and then I get to craft an appropriate story, which is what I’m all about. For example, one person challenged me in a friendly way, to write a story about a place where kid’s mouths all turned blue from eating candy. You can view and hopefully enjoy this one at http://www.jivagoswamidasa.com/lkablgm.htm
                                See, I am a compulsive writer. I write letters to my wife. I send email to kids in the next room. I write write write write write ... I learned this from Harlan Ellison. That is, the tendency has long been in me, but watching Harlan operate for about a week, I came to embrace the fact that it is best to address and give play to what is positive in me, and I have never regretted that valuable lesson.
                                So, when someone appears here or anywhere and does a “Let’s write” dance, for whatever reason, I am freely and gratefully there, hopefully on board.
                                And when someone says something like “I can’t get published because I am black,” I want to take that person and be of assistance. BUT many times, people seem to prefer to go on with the “I am not going to get anywhere because THEY prevent me.” I say, WRITE WRITE WRITE at every turn and you’ll get better better better. And of course, I apply this to me ... not that I am so good but that I am getting better by working it.
                                This note is intended to explain why I gladly jump when someone says they are forming a magazine, or some such, and I think at such times, I will get a ... “muse bolt?” :)
                                OK let’s get to work today! Kids? Friends? Spouse? Trays in the upright and locked position? Today is going to be wonderful!

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 8, 2008
                                  (Another path one might take is to broaden the type of writing one
                                  does. If one will look around one's own town or locality, there are
                                  probably plenty of writing groups or workshops that also publish or
                                  promote their members.

                                  There is more than one way to skin a cat. If one area is closed, one
                                  can approach another.

                                  Almost all of my SF is published in Creative Brother's Sci Fi
                                  Magazine. But I write plays, poetry and do readings locally.

                                  The important thing is to write, and to get published.

                                  Once one is published, doors can open that open other doors)

                                  --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Club Services
                                  <aaaclub_services@...> wrote:

                                  > I have found a LOT of talk in this group about how people want to
                                  write and or how people are being prevented from writing. My Mother
                                  used to tell me to develop my writing skills because that is
                                  something "...no one can take from you."