Essense 2008 Literary Awards Finalists

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
      FICTION

      Red River by Lalita Tademy/Grand Central Publishing
      Casanegra by Blair Underwood, Steven Barnes and Tananarive Due/Atria
      The Pirate's Daughter by Margaret Cezair-Thompson/Unbridled Books
      New England White by Stephen L. Carter/Knopf
      Knots by Nuruddin Farah/Riverhead

      MEMOIR

      Brother, I'm Dying by Edwidge Danticat/Knopf
      The Women Who Raised Me by Victoria Rowell/William Morrow
      Alek by Alek Wek/Amistad
      One Drop by Bliss Broyard/Little, Brown and Co.
      A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah/Farrar, Straus and Giroux

      INSPIRATION

      Reposition Yourself by TD Jakes/Atria
      From the Heart by Robin Roberts/Hyperion
      Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy/Tyndale
      Do You! by Russell Simmons/Penguin
      How Strong Women Pray by Bonnie St. John/Faith Words

      NONFICTION

      The Bond by Sampson Davis, George Jenkins and Rameck Hunt/Riverhead
      Friends: A Love Story by Angela Bassett and Courtney B.
      Vance/Harlequin
      I Got Your Back by Eddie and Gerald Levert/Harlem Moon
      Foreigners by Caryl Phillips/Knopf
      Supreme Discomfort by Michael Fletcher and Kevin Merida/Doubleday

      CURRENT AFFAIRS

      Come on People by Bill Cosby/Thomas Nelson
      The Covenant in Action by Tavis Smiley/Smiley Books
      An Unbroken Agony by Randall Robinson/Basic Civitas
      Know What I Mean? By Michael Eric Dyson/Perseus Books Group
      Twice As Good by Marcus Mabry/Modern Times

      PHOTOGRAPHY

      Daufuskie Island by Jeanne Moutoussamy-Ashe/University of South
      Carolina Press
      Pop by Carol Ross/Stewart, Tabori & Chang
      Jimi Hendrix by Janie Hendrix/Atria
      Let Your Motto Be Resistance edited by Deborah Willis/Smithsonian
      Press
      Jewels by Michael Cunningham and Connie Briscoe/Little, Brown and Co.

      CHILDREN'S BOOKS

      Henry's Freedom Box by Ellen Levine illustrated by Kadir
      Nelson/Scholastic
      Sugar Cane: A Caribbean Rapunzel by Patricia Storace and Raul
      Colon/Jump at the Sun
      Marvelous World by Troy Cle/Simon & Schuster's Children's Publishing
      The Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor-mbachu/Jump at the Sun
      Sallie Gal and the Wall-a-Kee Man by Shelia P. Moses and Niki
      Daly/Scholastic

      POETRY

      Duende by Tracy K. Smith/Graywolf Press
      Acolytes by Nikki Giovanni/William Morrow
      Totem by Gregory Pardlo/American Poetry Review

      LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

      Terry McMillan

      STORYTELLER OF THE YEAR

      Eric Jerome Dickey
      Lori Bryant-Woolridge
      Trisha R. Thomas
      L.A. Banks
      Tananarive Due
    • Phyllis Rhodes
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
        Hmmm.interesting that they classified Foreigners as "non-fiction;" I read
        it and although I'm no expert, I wouldn't classify it as such. Sure, the
        three men featured were actual historical figures, but he used his
        imagination to creatively "fill in the blanks" of their story. Just as Cane
        River and Red River by Tademy are fictional representations of (mostly
        documented) history, so is Foreigners.

        Does anyone know the criteria used to determine this list?

        Regards,

        Phyllis

        , <mailto:phyllisdrhodes@...> phyllisdrhodes@...