pod castle, escape pod, pseudo pod

  • Carole McDonnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hi all:

      I've been emailing back and forth this morning with the editor of
      podcastle,

      http://podcastle.org/guidelines which is a fantasy podcast.

      They also do
      http://escapepod.org/guidelines/

      and
      http://pseudopod.org/

      It's a REPRINT market. I repeat a reprint market. Only works that
      have been published somewhere else will be accepted...and she said
      she was looking for writing that isn't particularly American....other
      countries, other ethnic groups. She asked if my story in So long been
      dreaming was fantasy. Alas it wasn't.

      Here are the guidelines.
      What We Want

      PodCastle is looking for fantasy stories. We're open to all the sub-
      genres of fantasy, from magical realism to urban fantasy to
      slipstream to high fantasy, and everything in between. Fantastical or
      non-real content should be meaningful to the story.

      If you have a science fiction story, please send it to our sister
      podcast Escape Pod. Horror fiction should be directed to Pseudopod.
      The dividing line between horror and fantasy can be tricky. We at
      PodCastle are open to dark fantasy. We don't object to your trying us
      either before or after Psuedopod, if the story seems to suit both
      aesthetics.

      Length

      We're primarily interested in two lengths of fiction, which we've
      dubbed (somewhat arbitrarily) "short fiction" and "flash fiction."

      Short Fiction: Most of our weekly stories will fall between about
      2,000 and 6,000 words. Shorter stories would be overwhelmed by the
      commentary before and after the stories. Longer stories are difficult
      to fit into our upper time limit (defined rigorously as "The length
      of a morning commute"). We may run longer stories, but it will be a
      harder sell. We pay $100 for short fiction at this length.

      Flash Fiction: We will sometimes podcast short five-to-ten
      minute "bonus" pieces between our weekly main episodes. These stories
      can be up to 1,000 words. Flash pieces are frequently quirkier and
      more experimental than our weekly features. We pay $20 for flash
      fiction.

      For stories between 1,000 and 2,000 words, we'll make a judgment
      call, based on whether we think the story would work better as a
      featured story or a bonus.

      Reprints

      We prefer reprints, or works with a prior publication credit. We
      define "publication" as any venue that paid you money for your work,
      online or on paper. Unpublished work will be considered as well, but
      if your story's good enough for us to buy it, it's probably good
      enough to sell to another market first. Why not try to get two
      audiences and two checks?

      If you're looking for a market to send to for first publication, we
      recommend perusing the listings at Duotrope and Ralan.

      Multiple and Simultaneous Submissions

      We accept simultaneous submissions (sending a story to us and to one
      or more other markets at the same time), but appreciate being advised
      that the story is under consideration elsewhere. Please do not send
      multiple submissions (sending more than one story at a time to us)
      unless you have been told that it is acceptable for you to do so.

      Content

      We are an audio magazine. Our audience can't skim past the boring
      parts. While we appreciate beautiful stories, those that feature
      beautiful language at the expense of plot may not translate well.
      Ideally, fiction should have strong pacing, well-defined characters,
      engaging dialogue, clear action, and still be beautiful. Above all,
      we're looking for stories that are fun to listen to. Humor is
      encouraged.

      Podcastle hopes to publish fiction reflecting the full range of
      settings and tropes found in fantasy fiction. We'd particularly like
      to see more stories set outside America, and stories that feature
      characters who represent a range of backgrounds and ethnicities.

      We will not balk at sexual content or strong language, but if your
      story is primarily erotic or scatological in nature, it may not be
      for us. Consider Open Source Sex for the former or satellite radio
      for the latter.

      Preparing Stories for Submission

      We accept stories in e-mail, in plain text format, at the address
      submit@....

      We don't want Word files, PDF files, scanned images of a book, or
      sound files of you reading the story. Messages with such attachments
      will get bounced. We will accept messages that are HTML formatted,
      but if you know how to turn it off, we prefer plain text.

      Send your story from the e-mail address at which you want us to
      correspond with you. Otherwise, it's likely our correspondence will
      go astray.

      The Subject line of your email should read: "Submission: [Title of
      Your Story]." (Replace the text within the brackets with the title of
      your story.) E-mails with different subject lines may be misfiled and
      go astray.

      In the body of the message, include the following information:

      1. Your real name. (You can use a pseudonym for the byline, but we
      need to know who's legally offering us this story and to whom the
      check should be written.)

      2. Your mailing address. (If you don't give it to us, we'll need to
      pay you by PayPal.)

      3. A cover letter, listing salient workshops and degrees, and your
      three to five most recent publications (if you have them). Also,
      provide information about the publishing history of the piece. Has it
      been published before? If so, where? Is there anything we need to
      know about the availability of audio rights?

      4. The word count of the story, rounded to the nearest hundred words.

      5. The story's byline. (Omit if it's your legal name.)

      6. The text of the story. Use single spacing with blank lines between
      paragraphs and _underscores_ for emphasis.

      Example:

      ***

      Edgar Poe
      203 N. Amity St.
      Baltimore, MD 21223
      poeman@...
      Skype: Da_R4ven

      Dear Sir/Madam:
      I would like to submit my horror story "The Pit and the Pendulum" for
      your podcast. My work has appeared in numerous online and print
      venues including _The Norton Anthology of Literature_, the Project
      Gutenberg Web site (http://www.gutenberg.org) and _The Simpsons
      Halloween Special._ This particular work is in the public domain, and
      all rights are available. It has previously been adapted into a
      shockingly strange movie by Roger Corman. Thank you for your time and
      consideration.

      6200 Words

      THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM
      by Edgar Allen Poe

      I was sick — sick unto death with that long agony; and when they at
      length unbound me, and I was permitted to sit, I felt that my senses
      were leaving me. The sentence — the dread sentence of death — was the
      last of distinct accentuation which reached my ears. After that, the
      sound of the inquisitorial voices seemed merged in one dreamy
      indeterminate hum. It conveyed to my soul the idea of _revolution_–
      perhaps from its association in fancy with the burr of a mill-wheel.
      This only for a brief period; for presently I heard no more. [. . .]

      ***

      Once again, the submissions address is submit@.... Stories
      sent to other addresses may not be considered.

      Our Process of Consideration

      Once you've sent us your story, we will review it and respond to you
      via e-mail. Feel free to query if you have not received a response
      within two months. Occasional slush updates will be posted at the
      PodCastle blog. Periodically, the editors will post there to advise
      submitters of progress and delays.

      If we accept your story, we'll send you a contract as a PDF file in e-
      mail. You will sign it and send it back to us via e-mail (after
      scanning it), fax, or postal mail. Payment will come via check or Pay
      Pal, at a rate of $100 for short fiction and $20 for flash fiction.

      Legalese

      By sending us your story you understand and agree that:

      1. You are the original creator of the work submitted to us;
      2. You are the copyright holder of the work;
      3. You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of
      non-exclusive electronic and audio rights to the work;
      4. All information in the contact and cover sections of your e-mail
      is accurate and truthful;
      5. You accept sole responsibility for any false statements or
      encumbrances upon rights not disclosed to us.

      If we buy your story we'll send you a contract, and you'll be bound
      to all of the above.

      Rights

      PodCastle's audio files are released under a Creative Commons
      license. Specifically, we use the Attribution-NonCommercial-
      NoDerivatives license. Briefly, this means that the entire world has
      permission to distribute the podcast for free, provided they give
      credit for it, don't try to make money off of it, and don't change it
      in any way. Transcribing it, extracting portions from it beyond fair
      use, and mashing it up are all prohibited.

      This license applies only to our audio performance of your work, for
      which we've contracted and paid you. It does not apply to your story
      itself; you retain your copyright and all rights to any other use of
      the story.

      For further discussion of Creative Commons licensing, see the Escape
      Pod guidelines. If you are concerned about the licensing, we prefer
      that you research and make your decision before submitting.

      In case you're wondering whether you currently have audio rights to
      your stories: unless you're doing work-for-hire for a game company,
      all reputable SF/F magazines of which we're aware acquire serial
      print rights, often with non-exclusive electronic or anthology
      options. We know of no regular short fiction market that contracts
      for exclusive audio rights. That doesn't mean it can't happen; always
      check your contracts.

      Still got questions?

      If you have questions, comments, suggestions, or criticism (but not
      stories) send them to our staff at editor@.... We'll do our
      best to get back to you within a few days.

      Thanks very much for your time, and we look forward to reading — and
      hopefully speaking — what you've got!

      Sincerely,

      Submissions Editor, Rachel Swirsky
      Associate Editor, Ann Leckie