Re: Fw: Blog of Interest: Why Writing Colorblind is Writing White

  • Carole McDonnell
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23 3:22 PM
      The author does make some good points.

      When it comes to writing about another culture, I think a difference
      has to be made between what a corporation (such as the Star Trek
      producers do) and what an artist does.

      I like reading multicultural books with many different characters. I
      cringe when I read a book where everyone is white. At the same time I
      also cringe whenever I read a book where it's evident a character is
      a token. I also cringe at the thought of being "forced" to put
      someone into my story just to make the book more multiculti. I tend
      to write about different cultures but that's just me.

      It's pretty hard to understand how a writer in the US could live a
      life that doesn't include many cultures but I suspect it's possible.
      If a writer in the United States writes a lot of novels and most of
      those novels have only people from her/his own culture then I'd
      wonder.

      -C

      Carole McDonnell
      www.carolemcdonnell.com