Next: by Michael Crichton

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2006
      I struggled to get started with it at first but once I got going I
      couldn't put it down. I read it all of one day over the Xmas
      holidays, putting myself in a head spinning spell.

      The Good Doctor obviously wrote this book with an awareness of its
      chances of being filmed and filled it with outrageous coincidences
      and plot holes--

      But it does not matter.

      I liked this book better than any other he has written--it took the
      subjects of Jurassic Park and the Lost World (genetic engineering)
      and took them from a Monster on the Loose story to the level of great
      satires such as Catch 22, Dr. Strangelove, Brave New World, Network,
      and others.

      Though farfetched some of these things could be happening right now,
      and some of them really are.

      Characters you will meet: a talking organgutan, a genius, parrot, a
      hybrid of a human and a chimpanzee, tissue thieves and grave robbers,
      gene stealing ventgure capitalists, Image and publicity
      crazed "scientists", organ bounty hunters.

      In the fiction is truth about what science is becoming in the 21st
      Century, some sort of Frankenstein meets What Makes Sammy Run where
      the latest theories are decided and announced in the tabloids

      At the end he makes several proposals which you consider seriously

      Stop patenting genes
      Establish clear guidelines for the use of human tissues
      Pass laws to ensure that data about gene testing is made public
      Avoid bans on research
      Rescind the Bay-Dole Act

      This is a must read--what all great science fiction has done--made
      you think about the real and actual world and how scientific
      developments affect our future