Re: Latest role for Fresh Prince actress/historical wounds

  • Carole McDonnell
    Message 1 of 37 , Nov 6, 2006
      Hey, the regular United States flag did tons more damage to blacks
      than the confederate one did. Both flags have pretty imperialist
      racial histories.

      I have nothing against slavery but against new beginning writers
      writing about it. They don't really seem to have explored or
      researched it. They have a kind of "idea" about what slavery is like
      which is kinda like slavery lite, as far as I'm concerned. They have
      never really read the slave narratives or books describing it. They
      have their ideas of it from movies.

      I don't deny the right of imagination to people just to bad writers
      who don't research. Call me a snit but I can't stand reading
      something that is cliched and unexplored. And if you're gonna write
      about something as powerful as the holocaust and slavery I want to
      know you know what you're talking about. I mean, I just critted a
      story where a slave was grieving and took some time off to rest under
      a tree for a couple of days. It just kinda made me say: Umh...do
      slaves have this kind of freedom? That's what I'm talking about.
      WRITING and RESEARCH and CLICHES and BORROWED IDEAS.

      As for the moon, people can write about imaginary trips to the
      moon...but research also applies. If someone teleports, that's
      acceptable. Teleportation is pure imagination and not rooted in
      history so the writer can do whatever he/she wants. But if someone
      goes to the moon in a rocket, they better well have a good hard-
      science way of getting there. Something that makes me think they know
      a little about space science.

      As for Jews and exploring the holocaust. I've seen some writings by
      Jewish folks that explored that psychic wound. Most of the writings
      were by people who had family who died in the holocaust so they knew
      what they were talking about. If a Jewish beginning writer wrote
      about the holocaust and wrote something unthought out, I'd probably
      give him a big talking to about writing about something from a
      cliched point of view.

      I just missed being born after 1960. Was born in Dec 1959. I don't
      talk about slavery. But I talk about what I know. That's the first
      rule about writing. Write what you know. And if you can't write about
      what you know, then research the heck out of what you don't know
      until you understand it well enough to write about it.

      I'm sure I have psychic wounds about slavery, but what I know about
      are the racist things that happened in my lifetime. And that's what
      I'd like to see beginning writers talk about in their specfic or
      their mainstream novels...their own issues reflected in their stories.

      My story has a slave girl in it but what I write about is the
      denigration of black women...which is an issue I understand. Not a
      plantation in site, but mega exploration on the insults black women
      have gotten and which I've seen in the past 46 years of my life.

      Dang, all I'm saying is that many of these writers are using a
      borrowed theme they don't explore. And I won't stop saying it.
      Slavery as history doesn't affect these guys personally and they
      don't research it well enough to have it affect them.

      The Alamo was made up of Texans and Mexicans before the big battle
      and then US annexed Texas. It was originally in Mexican land before
      Sam Houston etc decided to take it. Can't use that as an example.

      Yes. Never again to slavery. But when people write about the
      plantation slavery and forget those little Sudanese boys being
      enslaved by Arabic chieftains, I have to raise my eyebrow about
      this "never again" business. Slavery still exists. By focusing solely
      on plantation slavery and not connecting it to modern slavery, aren't
      Black American writers saying...look to the horrors of the past and
      aren't they ignoring the present issues?
      -C

      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <Frofidemus@...>
      wrote:

      > <<Though I have run into some who deny it, slavery is the one
      > experience that all blacks living in the western hemisphere shared
      > and the one experience that still affects our people, and indeed
      The
      > New World now.
      >
      > <<Though some would deny this also, look at the debate over
      > reparations, the theories that it has affected black families, and
      > all those jamokes running around with Confederate flags on their
      > pickup trucks.
      >
      > <<I noticed that you do not deny the same right to others--after
      all,
      > Robert Heinlein never went to the moon, yet he wrote about it--I
      > could beat this point to death ad nauseum but I am sure you get it.
      >
      > You must have been born after the 60's.

      > If you would tell a bunch of Jews who had not experienced the
      > Holocaust, like Stephen Spielberg and others, that they should
      > stop "exploring this psychic wound" you would get strung up in the
      > public square.

    • being_marian
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 27, 2006
        Enemy Mine was actually based on a different story (I recall reading
        it).

        From the Hugo site -
        Enemy Mine (1985) [20th Century Fox/King's Road] Directed by
        Wolfgang Petersen; Screenplay by Edward Khmara; based on the story
        by Barry Longyear

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Astromancer <cwbadie@...>
        wrote:

        > Is that what that was??? Well, I liked the really bad rip off...be
        then I never read the book...

        > ravenadal <ravenadal@...> wrote: Have you seen the
        really, really BAD rip-off of "Left Hand of
        > Darkness" called "Enemy Mine," starring Louis Gossett and Dennis
        Quaid?

        > ~rave!
        >
        > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "bookfifty" <book50@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Black or white, if the writing is good, it's good! LeGuin is one
        of my
        > > specfic heroes. Glad to hear she has support here, too. I knew I
        was a
        > > member of this listserv for a reason....
        > >
        > > #;-)
        > >
        > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@>
        wrote:

        > > > Ah, now you're talking! I LOVE Ursula LeGuin's "The Left Hand
        of
        > > > Darkness." It left an indelible mark on my heart, my mind and
        my
        > > > psyche. I read that novel nearly thirty-five years ago and it
        still
        > > > impacts my day-to-day.
        > > >
        > > > ~rave!
        > > >
        > > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "bookfifty" <book50@>

        Ursula
        > Not an
        > > > works.

        > "La'V' is always watching...Be careful who you talk to." - The
        Side Street Chonicles by C.W. Badie