Has Horror Fiction gone into a decline?

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
      It is well known that there are cycles when Horror is more populare--
      during the 30's, the 50's, the late 70's--

      This is often tied to the events of the actual period--when people have
      enough horror going on in real life--WWI, WWII, Vietnam era--they tend
      to want light entertainment to take their mind off horror.

      Is this one such period?

      Is horror in a downturn?
    • Carole McDonnell
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
        Decline in quality? or in quantity? Or has it merged into another
        genre? As you say, lots of real life horror going on. Many non-fiction
        books -- such as true crime books and true atrocities-- kinda feed my
        need for horror.

        Plus there are so many genres and people might take their horror in a
        non-printed form. Such as movies, video games, etc.

        I don't really keep track of the horror book genre but it seems to me
        that the horror movie genre has risen. And we've got to take that into
        consideration. For instance, I watch a lotta horror movies, but rarely
        read horror books. But I also watch a lotta war atrocities
        documentaries, non-fiction shows like ghost hunters and A haunting on
        discovery channel, and forensic file stuff. And I watch a lotta
        creature features movies about killer bees etc.

        Much the same can be done when one considers the other genres. I don't
        read SciFi books but I watch a lotta lotta SciFi movies. I also have a
        tough time watching fantasy books but I can read them.

        So it depends on the media, i think. And how the genre is being
        presented. -C

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <Frofidemus@...>