Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] How to Get More Blacks to Read Speculative Fiction

    Message 1 of 40 , Aug 7, 2006
      <<I couldn't have stated it better.

      If race is not important, let all SF writers agree to write stories
      featuring all black casts for the next year.

      We won't hold our breaths, will we?

      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Carole McDonnell"
      <Oreoblues@...> wrote:

      > Just peeking into this discussion for a second. Two genres I really
      > like are Spec-fic and romance. Generally, I don't care what races
      are
      > involved. But there are moments when a great leap of joy just
      > overcomes my fluttering heart...and that's when a story connects to
      > me in a racial or religious or sexual orientation kinda way. (Yes,
      > most of my favorite films have interracial couples. Specifically if
      > movie or book has a black leading character or couple or if the
      main
      > character is a black woman with white, asian, or native american
      men,
      > or if there is a Christian subtext, well, I can't help it I'm kinda
      > intrigued.)
      >
      > The inverse (or is that the converse?) can be stated. When I read a
      > book or see a movie which ignores black folks or minorities or uses
      > the same old unwritten but nevertheless powerful racist rules of
      the
      > past, well I do kinda find a angry heat rising to my chest. So race
      > does matter to me -- and I dare say to most minorities in SF. Not
      > because we want all spec-fic to be about race, but because there is
      > lovely feeling of being home, about being among a landsman as
      Jewish
      > folks would say, or of being with characters who are one's peeps
      and
      > walking around one's hood. It just makes me feel as if some other
      > writer is speaking of home.
      >
      > -C
      > Carole McDonnell
      > Wind Follower June 2007 Juno Books
      > www.geocities.com/scifiwritir/Publications.html
      > carole.mcdonnell (at) gmail (dot)com

    • Chris Hayden
      Message 40 of 40 , Aug 10, 2006
        <<I think it would be better if you used your enourmous influence and
        staggering brainpower to affect change in your arena--publishing
        articles and books(you could even have some of use help a little with
        research, or use your assistants (they get credit for it, don't
        they), getting the books in your library, getting some courses on the
        curriculum, bringing it up in faculty meetings, using your
        spellbinding oration and big, booming bull-like voice to speak and
        lecture tirelessly from dusk to dawn 24/7)

        But a list would not hurt.

        It would help even more if it was a list of stuff that each
        contributor had successfully accomplished.>>

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Lester K Spence"
        <kspence@...> wrote:

        > Chris, every idea I came up with could work for SOMEONE.
        >
        > But that's not the point.
        >
        > If ten people on this list came up with ten different ideas on how
        > market science fiction to black readers, that would be ONE HUNDRED
        > MORE IDEAS THAN EXIST ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.
        >
        > What your "actions" here say is that you are more interested in
        > cutting down the ideas of others, than you are doing work.
        >
        > Work needed to build the community of readers you say you want.
        >
        > Why are you quick to cut, but slow to build?
        > *****
        >

        > I like this list. I see it as having the potential to put black
        > science fiction writers and readers on the map.
        >
        > I think a list of tips for black science fiction writers is a
        > worthwhile project.
        >
        > Would those with other ideas please send them to the list?
        >

        > thanks
        > lks
        >

        > On Aug 9, 2006, at 6:04 PM, Chris Hayden wrote:
        >
        > > <<I came up with one that worked. You came up with ten that you
        > > think might. Lester you ain't come up with one idea that you ever
        put
        > > into practice yourself.
        > >
        > > But what do they say?
        > >
        > > Those who can do. Those who can't teach.
        > >
        > > Ta ta.
        > >
        > > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Lester K Spence"
        > > <kspence@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > "get them where they at" doesn't mean ANYTHING.
        > > >
        > > > if it isn't hard to come up with workable ideas, COME UP WITH
        SOME.

        > > > i came up with ten in about fifteen minutes.
        > > >
        > > > you're the sf author. come up with ten more. that's how you can
        > > help.
        > > >

        > > > lks

        > > came

        > > their