Re: Author Line-up and getting published

  • ravenadal
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2002
      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@y..., SISTAZTee@a... wrote:
      > Until next time, keep on reading and writing...
      >
      > -Tee C. Royal
      > R.A.W. SISTAZ Book Club Founder
      > "Combining Literature and Sisterhood"
      > http://www.rawsistaz.com

      In following the link to Sister Tee's website (see above), I
      discovered one of the R.A.W. Sistaz book club featured authors is
      none other than Hunter Hayes. I was assigned to review Ms. Hayes
      self-published novel, "Shoes on the Otha Foot," for Mosaic Magazine,
      and it remains one of the worst things I have ever read - shoddily
      written and even more shoddily edited (constantly reading "your"
      for "you're" was particularly annoying - mainly because I was sure
      the author didn't know the difference - check out the title "Shoes on
      the otha foot" "Shoes"? Two of them?).

      Despite my withering review, apparently Ms. Hayes has sold enough
      copies of said book to procure a two-book contract with a major
      publishing house, including her latest, "A Pair Like No Otha."
      ("Shoes on the Otha Foot" is even out with a snappy new cover).

      http://www.hunterhayesonline.com

      The moral of this story? You can polish a manuscript until it
      shines, but it may be more prudent to just get out there and slog
      that puppy. Perseverance is often more important than talent.

      To Ms. Hunter, on subsequent review all I can say is, "You Go, girl!"

      ~rave!
      The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
      http://www.theworldebon.com
    • creativebrother <creativebrother@yahoo.c
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 11, 2002
        I think that Isaac Assimov's "The Second Foundation" is one of the
        cheesiest books on the face of this Earth. Yet, a lot of my co-
        workers love it, in fact, I thought one of the developers was going
        to go to blows because I said the book is lame.

        In the end, it matters what most people think, not you or I as an
        individual.

        Preserverance is truly the way.

        Cecil
        http://www.tinyurl.com/37sv
      • Laileana
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 11, 2002
          LOL Cecil,
          I liked the foundation novels but was less than impressed with the second foundation novels too. People do get all uptight about that kind of stuff. I myself got kicked off of a sci fi msn group because I did not like the Lord of the Rings novels. I think they are boring. I read them and I love the movie, but do not see what all the fuss is about. I was told I was stupid and eventually kicked off the list.
          Lois
          "creativebrother <creativebrother@...>" <creativebrother@...> wrote:I think that Isaac Assimov's "The Second Foundation" is one of the

          Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 12, 2002
            The books are really not all that. The cartoons are the bomb, the
            movies are the bomb, the idea itself is superior, but reading them----
            they drag. I read The Hobbit and half of The Return of the King.

            Tolkien made good characters in a good universe that had interesting
            situations.
          • Laileana
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 12, 2002
              Yes, the books dragged for me, I read them all but man wa sit hard work:) I LOBE the movie though. I adore it and can not wait for the new one:)
              Lois
              "cecilwashington <cecilwashington@...>" <cecilwashington@...> wrote:The books are really not all that. The cartoons are the bomb, the

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 12, 2002
                I own all three LOTR novels (have for twenty-odd years) and haven't
                read any of them. Tried. Couldn't. I understand "The Hobbit," on
                the other hand, is an engaging read (but I haven't read it, either).

                ~rave!

                --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "cecilwashington

              • cecilwashington <cecilwashington@yahoo.c
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 13, 2002
                  Yes, the Hobbit is a good read, but I suspect that people who love
                  the other books would disagree with me. They may prefer the other
                  ones over the Hobbit.

                  As for Chip, I call him bisexual because from what I've read in
                  his "Motion of Light In Water...." autobiography, he REALLY loved
                  Marilyn Hacker, and I mean in a deep way, with the same love I'd
                  imagine a young man would have for a young woman. I really don't
                  think that "had he been born twenty years later" he would NOT have
                  given up a portion of his life to be with her. I know how he defines
                  himself, and the old argument about how we are what we SAY we are is
                  understood, but I believe that we also are what we do. But that's
                  just my opinion, and yours may differ. In fact, if you disagree with
                  me, then you are right and I am wrong----I'm been flamed far too much
                  whenever I've brought up this subject in the past in order to debate
                  it again. You're right, I'm wrong, you win in advance.

                  Come to think of it, Rydra may actually be Marilyn in disguise, and
                  Chip himself may be "The Butcher".

                  Cecil
                  http://www.tinyurl.com/37sv
                • ravenadal <ravenadal@theworldebon.com>
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 13, 2002
                    I don't know Samuel R. Delany, but it seems (to me) somehow
                    diminishing of his stature (not to mention presumptuous) to refer to
                    this great man as "Chip," even if that is what his dearest and
                    dearest call him. Pet peeve of mine.

                    ~rave!

                    --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "cecilwashington
                    <cecilwashington@y...>" <cecilwashington@y...> wrote:
                    > As for Chip,
                    The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
                    http://www.theworldebon.com
                  • Victor Jason Raymond
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 13, 2002
                      Dear Ravenal,

                      Since that's what he said to call him when I met him several years ago, I
                      am afraid I've run afoul of your pet peeve. My apologies.

                      Victor

                      At 02:26 AM 12/14/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                      >I don't know Samuel R. Delany, but it seems (to me) somehow
                      >diminishing of his stature (not to mention presumptuous) to refer to
                      >this great man as "Chip," even if that is what his dearest and
                      >dearest call him. Pet peeve of mine.
                      >
                      >~rave!
                      >
                      >--- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "cecilwashington
                      ><cecilwashington@y...>" <cecilwashington@y...> wrote:
                      > > As for Chip,
                      >The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
                      >http://www.theworldebon.com
                      >

                      >Community email addresses:
                      >Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subscribe: SciFiNoir_Lit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      Victor Raymond / vraymond@...
                      ISU Sociology Department

                    • ravenadal <ravenadal@theworldebon.com>
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 14, 2002
                        Victor,

                        Even though you called me out of my name :) ("Ravenal" means "Tree of
                        the Traveller," while "Ravenadal," my name, means "Noble Black"), I
                        want to clarify my position. What I meant to convey was that
                        those "nearest and dearest" to Samuel R. Delany should call
                        him "Chip" if that is how he wishes to be addressed. Similarly,
                        casual acquaintances should refer to him as "Chip" if that is how he
                        wishes to be addressed. What should not be permissable, in my
                        opinion, is for casual acquaintances, those who may have basked in
                        Delany's presence however briefly, to refer to him in broader company
                        as "Chip," for it presumes a familiarity that may not, in fact, be
                        the case.

                        But, again, it's a personal peeve of mine.

                        ~rave!

                        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Victor Jason Raymond

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        > Victor Raymond / vraymond@i...
                        > ISU Sociology Department

                      • Victor Jason Raymond
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 14, 2002
                          Dear Ravenadal,

                          My apologies for having made a mistake with your name - NOT my intention
                          (gotta watch that short-hand typing).

                          At 03:51 AM 12/15/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                          >Victor,
                          >
                          >Even though you called me out of my name :) ("Ravenal" means "Tree of
                          >the Traveller," while "Ravenadal," my name, means "Noble Black"), I
                          >want to clarify my position. What I meant to convey was that
                          >those "nearest and dearest" to Samuel R. Delany should call
                          >him "Chip" if that is how he wishes to be addressed. Similarly,
                          >casual acquaintances should refer to him as "Chip" if that is how he
                          >wishes to be addressed.

                          Oh, I would agree. I cannot account Mr. Delany a close friend, but we do
                          have good friends in common, and I've had the opportunity on more than one
                          occasion to talk at length with him (FWIW, I've always described him using
                          the French sense of the word "formidable" - which has a greater gravity
                          than the English cognate). I would not have used "Chip" if he had not
                          specifically said it was okay.

                          >What should not be permissable, in my
                          >opinion, is for casual acquaintances, those who may have basked in
                          >Delany's presence however briefly, to refer to him in broader company
                          >as "Chip," for it presumes a familiarity that may not, in fact, be
                          >the case.

                          Right - total agreement. Seems a bit odd, but there are a number of
                          authors I know who have a "name-they-use-with-friends" and a more formal
                          name you would see on the dustjackets of their books.

                          >But, again, it's a personal peeve of mine.

                          I think my personal peeve is to label somebody's orientation as something
                          other than the one they have explicitly identified themselves as, e.g.
                          "bisexual" instead of "gay" (and I say that as a bisexual man myself,
                          so....go figure). :):):)

                          >~rave!

                          Victor

                          Victor Raymond / vraymond@...
                          ISU Sociology Department

                        • cecilwashington <cecilwashington@yahoo.c
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                            You are not alone with your attitude about him being called "Chip".
                            But, hey that's what he LIKES to be called. So if he wants to be
                            called "Chip", then hey, he's Chip.

                            I've heard that he hates to be called "Sam". Don't ask me why.
                          • ravenadal <ravenadal@theworldebon.com>
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                              --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "cecilwashington
                              <cecilwashington@y...>" <cecilwashington@y...> wrote:
                              > You are not alone with your attitude about him being called "Chip".
                              > But, hey that's what he LIKES to be called. So if he wants to be
                              > called "Chip", then hey, he's Chip.
                              >
                              > I've heard that he hates to be called "Sam". Don't ask me why.>>

                              I have decided to start thinking of him as "Chip" as in "Data."

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                                --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "cecilwashington
                                <cecilwashington@y...>" <cecilwashington@y...> wrote:
                                > You are not alone with your attitude about him being called "Chip".
                                > But, hey that's what he LIKES to be called. So if he wants to be
                                > called "Chip", then hey, he's Chip.
                                >
                                > I've heard that he hates to be called "Sam". Don't ask me why.>>

                                There may be racial connotations (Sambo, Sammy, Sam). This reminds
                                me of humorist David Rakoff's take on the off repeated affirmation
                                that God created Adam and Eve; not Adam and Steve. Rakoff
                                states, "well, of course, not Adam and Steve. Never Adam and Steve.
                                It's Adam and Steven."