CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS Parker Publishing

  • Oreoblues@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2006
      CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

      (African-American Speculative Fiction)

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      CONTACT: _submissions@submissions@<WBRsubmi_
      (mailto:submissions@...)
      _http://www.parker-http://www.htt_ (http://www.parker-publishing.com/)

      Brooklyn NY—Making its debut in November 2006, Parker Publishing is seeking
      to earn a reputation with the reading public and in the publishing industry
      as
      a house that produces quality books that are fresh, relevant, entertaining,
      educational and uplifting.

      Parker Publishing’s Isis imprint explores the genres of Speculative Fiction
      including Science Fiction, Fantasy, Vampires, Werewolves and other
      paranormal
      themes. We are seeking titles that will challenge convention and take the
      reader on an esoteric journey of imagination.

      80,000 – 100,000 word count.
      Features Black characters Parker Publishing is a royalty offering publisher,
      not a vanity press. You do not need an agent to submit; however, we will not

      accept unsolicited manuscripts. We ask that you submit a query letter that
      includes word count, pertinent facts about yourself as a writer, what
      imprint you
      think your project is appropriate for (Isis for Speculative fiction), if it
      is
      completed, and previous publishing experience (if any). Also include a
      synopsis of your story that gives a clear idea of both your plot and
      characters; and
      the first three chapters only, no complete manuscripts unless specifically
      requested.

      Query material will not be returned, but recycled. Should your complete
      manuscript be requested, include a stamped, self-addressed envelope (of
      sufficient
      size) for possible return of manuscript. No material will be returned
      without
      SASE. Please specify whether you would like your manuscript returned or
      recycled should we decide not to publish it.
      We strongly prefer manuscripts to be written from the third-person
      point-of-view. All material must be typed and double-spaced. No disk
      submissions. Name,
      address, phone number and e-mail of the author should be on the first page
      of
      the manuscript, and a header for subsequent pages should contain the page
      number, author's name and title. Retain a copy of all materials sent in case
      the
      original gets lost in the mail.

      Our review process typically takes 3 months for initial query and 6 months
      for requested manuscripts depending on volume. Please do not call regarding
      the
      status of your submission. You will be notified by mail as soon as your work
      has been reviewed.

      Please send submissions to:
      Parker Publishing
      Acquisitions
      P.O. Box 380-844
      Brooklyn, NY 11238

      Parker Publishing, LLC
      Celebrating Black Love, Life, Literature CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
      (African-American Historical Romances) FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT:
      _submissions@submissions@<WBRsubmi_
      (mailto:submissions@...)
      _http://www.parker-http://www.htt_ (http://www.parker-publishing.com/)

      Brooklyn NY—Making its debut in November 2006, Parker Publishing is seeking
      to earn a reputation with the reading public and in the publishing industry
      as
      a house that produces quality books that are fresh, relevant, entertaining,
      educational and uplifting.
      We look for interesting, three-dimensional characters who are separated by
      emotional conflict or the twists and turns of the plot. But in the end they
      overcome the barriers keeping them apart and live happily ever after. We are
      seeking sensual historical romances with intriguing plots, strong writing,
      and a
      pace that grabs readers' attention from page one and holds it to the very
      end.

      80,000 – 90,000 word count.
      Hero and Heroine must be Black (African, Africa-American, Caribbean etc)
      Story should be primarily from the Heroine’s POV
      Hero and Heroine must be single, no adultery and no cheating.
      Heroine and Hero should not be emotionally or sexually involved with anyone
      else.
      Hero must be three-dimensional character (avoid stereotypes) and a positive
      role model (with issues of course!). He must be honest, financially stable
      (regardless if he’s white or blue collar), law abiding, likable, sympathetic
      with
      respect for women.
      Heroine must be a three-dimensional character, and she should be sensitive,
      warm, charming and easily relatable without being a pushover.
      Romance should develop at a realistic pace
      Sexual tension is encouraged
      Sex scenes should be sensual but not graphic
      Profanity in narration is not allowed and should be kept to a minimum in
      dialogue.

      Parker Publishing is a royalty offering publisher, not a vanity press. You
      do
      not need an agent to submit; however, we will not accept unsolicited
      manuscripts. We ask that you submit a query letter that includes word count,
      pertinent
      facts about yourself as a writer, what imprint you think your project is
      appropriate for (Allure for historical romances), if it is completed, and
[...]

      Carole McDonnell
      Wind Follower April 2007 Juno Books
      alternate email: carole.mcdonnell (at) gmail (dot)com
      www.geocities.com/scifiwritir/OreoBlues.html