A Reason for Xenophobia

  • Charles Grimmett
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2002
      The following is an excerpt from something I found in an old storage locker at Wright-Patterson Air Base. I've held it for the last twenty years. It isn't original, but a translation. (At least that what I was told by Michael Charles)
      Mike worked at the hanger where the UFO's we didn't have were keep. He was there when the little green men we didn't have were shipped out. He says what I have is the first translation of a diary that he made a copy of and hid. I believe him because when I bought the lockers at the base salvage sale, the locker with his name gave me directions to more pages which I have since found. But that's another story.
      Meeting Mike gave me the courage to put this on the Internet. Frankly I don't care anymore what anyone thinks about me, but they need to see this for themselves.
      First Thoughts
      I couldn�t believe that I was finally here. We had attained orbit and were preparing to dock with the permanent observation platform. This was the assignment that everyone fought to get. Archeologist, geologist, botanist, chemist, they all fought to get assigned here. Natural scientist saw no end to the wonders and possibilities of this isolated, backward world. Social scientist, on the other hand generally viewed this with far less enthusiasm. As a point of fact since its discovery almost 8,000 of its years ago they (social scientist) have worked consistently to limit contact and discourage all but the most limited exploration. And until recently they had controlled the government�s policies in this regard.

      While many believe the reason for the caution was based on the fear of destructive interaction with a more backward race, most had misunderstood what the fear was really about. The truth was far more disturbing than most people had understood. While it was a fact that its original discoverers had contaminated the culture of this world, possibly altering the path of its development beyond repair, this place�s real danger resided in this planet and its people�s ability to corrupt other worlds.

      Truly a treasure trove, this world contained substantial quantities of all precious substances. All the valued fundamental elements and compounds were located here, not just in abundance, but in overflowing quantities. The planet supports a diverse but hardy stock of life forms including a dominant human species. It is these people and their actions that have forced this world to be under an almost total quarantined for close to 2,000 years. A number of reasons for the quarantine were given, but the simple truth was that these people were insane!

      This is a highly unprofessional statement for any anthropologist, but given the circumstances it was both appropriate and accurate. I had reasons to justify such a characterization. While the humans on this planet show average intelligence and a current technological development that seems to follow the norm for sentient life forms, a number of things were wrong. For one thing they were the only known life form of any kind anywhere in the know universe that killed its own kind as a function of governance. They seemed to take pride in their willingness and ability to kill their own kind.

      While a few lower forms of insect life would engage in this practice out of a necessity for survival, these beings seemed to engage in this activity as alternative to all forms of conflict resolution. They called it �War� and accepted it as a fact of existence for governmental units. They called it �Justice� and incorporated it as final solution to individuals who display certain anti-social attributes. As if this wasn�t enough, they also used killing as a method of social control. They seem to use every excuse to sanction the killing of individuals who didn�t fit certain norms.

      If an individual transgressed certain rules, the group would often decide to have that individual killed. These killing were usually carried out following a ritual of trial, which usually ended in the order to kill the suspected transgressor. The justification for this killing was often that the individual was beyond reforming. The concepts rehabilitation and community exile are hardly given consideration in most regions. It was also the fact that individuals whose physical appearance or other attributes varied too greatly from the accepted norm of any particular region were more likely to be found guilty and killed.

      These beings killed as if it were sport. They killed for the ability to exercise their political will over a region. They killed as part of games. They engaged in sport that constantly endangered life. They killed because they loved, so they said, killed because they hated. They almost universally justify the training in the art of killing. They often consider the right to carry instruments of death as something for which to give their lives.

      The inhabitants of this world seemed to need to have conflict. Lacking conflict they would find ways to create it. These �people� even invented artificial divisions within their groups to create conflict. First they would use a physical attribute, classify their populations dividing them into groups based on this attribute, and then use false generalizations to assign qualities to the groups. This allowed them to classify individuals within a group as superior or inferior based on the generalizations.

      Constructed caste systems within �thinking� beings what a powerful concept. Totally insane! Yet very powerful! But examination of this planet�s historical record, as well as the archives of the known civilizations, indicate that this insanity may have had its roots a series of contacts dating back at least six thousand years.

      Yet there are others who theorize that it was not the contact with society�s exiles that caused the problem. They suggest that this place�s overabundance gave rise to its wholesale selfishness and greed. The thought being that life was so easy that racial survival here became a reality here without complete cooperation that was necessary elsewhere in the universe. Then there were those who studied the effect of environment on intelligent life, they were beginning to develop a very intriguing argument about fat-soluble vitamins and mental activity.

      The fact that on this planet fully 40% of the human inhabitants had developed a dominant mutated gene supported their argument. On other worlds individuals with this mutation generally didn�t survive, much less make up such a large portion of the population. In fact those that did survive usually suffered from a number of physical and psychological maladies. Their existence, on this planet the natives call Earth, in such large numbers opened a whole new area of medicine in the universe.

      While I have to keep and open mind, I have to wonder as I look at my reflection in the mirror. I smile at my dark brown skin, filled with the substance that absorbs vitamins using the light of the sun. Just the thought of a world in which 40% of the intelligent life forms lack the ability to fully metabolize the vitamins needed for normal brain function. No wonder this place is crazy.

    • knockturnal_one
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2002
        Very interesting! I'd like to read more.

        Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com