Re: Old Skool SF--Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2006
      <<I first got turned on to this book by a friend of mine I think in
      gradeschool. When I got it I didn't like it. It was too talky for
      me. At the time I was into movies and tv mostly. What reading I did
      for pleasure was comics, Edgar Rice Burroughs, action stuff.

      Now I just love it. Give your son some time. Sometimes what we
      gotta do is get to the point where we can sit down and think about a
      thing, enjoy the language and the satire and the thought behind it.

      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...>
      wrote:

      > This is one of the seminal books from my sane and sober youth. It
      had
      > a profound effect on me thirty-five years ago.
      >
      > One of the profound disappointments of my old age is that almost
      all of
      > the books that had a profound effect on me in my youth fail to
      stir my
      > seventeen year-old son in the same way. Fortunately we share
      Walter