[SciFiNoir Lit] Re: Octavia E. Butler: 1947-2006

  • Carole McDonnell
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 4, 2006
      You guys are so neat! Either tossing or keeping rejections. I only save
      the near-misses. And even so, Lord knows where those saved rejections
      are.

      -C

      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...> wrote:

      > I save all my rejections (I want to get enough to paper a wall).
      > Twenty years ago, they were rude and insulting; now they are fawning
      > and apologetic. I am still unpublished. EYE would like to have ALL
      > of my submissions, regardless of quality, accepted!
      >
      > ~rave!

    • Chris Hayden
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 4, 2006
        <<I used to do that. Then I started getting accepted. So I just
        started saving them.

        When you get accepted and you will be you will do the same thing.

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@...> wrote:

        > I save all my rejections (I want to get enough to paper a wall).
        > Twenty years ago, they were rude and insulting; now they are fawning
        > and apologetic. I am still unpublished. EYE would like to have ALL
        > of my submissions, regardless of quality, accepted!
        >
        > ~rave!
        >
        > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hayden" <Frofidemus@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > <<I used to save my rejections but I read about another writer who
        > > did that for a while and then he threw them away because they
        > > depressed him.
        > >
        > > Let me ask you--if you could get all of your stories accepted, or
        > > get all of them rejected which would you choose?

      • Dr. Lester K Spence
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 9, 2006
          On Mar 3, 2006, at 3:32 PM, Chris Hayden wrote:

          > > Whitehead has a book coming out in March. And I think he
          > published a
          > > work on NYC after he'd gotten the MacArthur.
          > >
          > > I go back to someone like Jordan. Who wins every award there is
          > > win and still comes back the next year wanting to do it again
          > with
          > > the exact same level of determination, discipline, and focus.
          >
          > <<Till his legs gave out and there was no way to do it. I bet if
          > you would open up a guy like that and find out what made him do it,
          > you might not like what you found>>

          I've been thinking about this hard.

          I think there are two things that separate Jordan (and his literary
          equivalents) from me at this juncture.

          1. They put so much into their craft they know everytime they lose/
          get rejected they put their best effort into it.

          2. They are tough enough to take rejection EVEN WHEN THEY HAVE DONE
          THEIR BEST.

          3. They have a level of focus I cannot maintain right now.

          This last thing may very well be physiological. The first one can be
          taught--though I can't say I know how to do it.

          The middle one is the key. If we don't put our all into our work, or
          go into the game thinking we're going to be rejected, we can safely
          say to ourselves , "well, i really didn't try as hard as i could
          have. if i REALLY focused i could do it." we save ourselves from
          having to face the fundamental truth--that perhaps our greatest
          effort just isn't good enough. That's pretty hard to take.

          Now there is a darkside to this type of fire. When Chuck Daly
          coached the Dream Team he'd play golf with Jordan during off-
          periods. I think this is when he was just picking up the game. Daly
          would win...and then Jordan would hound him for literally 24 hours
          trying to get the W.

          Being a parent, I'm not sure I would want to have that type of
          monster in my spirit.

          What do you think you'd find?

          lks