Re: Best and worst spec fic books of 2005

  • La Tricia Ransom
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2006
      what's it about? i'm not familiar with the writer.

      On Jan 7, 2006, at 3:58 PM, SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Subject: Re: Re: Best and worst spec fic books of 2005
      >
      > I am reading it now and I agree
      > lois
      >
      > "B. Smith" <daikaiju66@...> wrote:
      > A Feast For Crows by George R. R. Martin. It was worth the wait.

    • Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. M
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2006
        I love his work. I'm going to have to get that

        Tracey

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2006
          It's the fourth novel in the A Song Of Ice And Fire series. It's
          like The War of The Roses done in a Dark Fantasy world. There are
          four novels in the series:

          A Game of Thrones (1996)
          A Clash of Kings (1999)
          A Storm of Swords (2000)
          A Feast for Crows (2005)

          Some folks call it Dark Tolkien but I say they are two drastically
          different beasts.

          The land of Westeros is at crucial time in its existence. It appears
          that the an old, dark power is stirring at the north end of the
          kingdom but rebellion, wars and court intrigue have prevented the
          rulers from dealing with the coming threat.

          It's heavy on royal court intrigue, wars, has tons of well developed
          and fleshed out characters. Everyone has shades of grey and only a
          few of the characters are totally good or evil. Magic is scarce but
          it is scary and powerful and everyone touched by it is....well lets
          just say I wouldn't want to be a mage of any sort in this world. And
          NO character is safe in these novels.

          Be warned that it is violent and quite dark in tone.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

          A Feast For Crows and its planned follow up A Dance With Dragons are
          the bridging novels of the series. Some folks complain it didn't
          move the plot along far enough but I loved it. It's a rich novel
          filled with characters that just leap off the page. All the threads
          set up in this one will pay off big time. The subtitle of this one
          should be Hubris Is A Killer. Never has one character so richly
          deserved the fate they dealt themselves.

          --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, La Tricia Ransom