Dune (was RE: [SciFiNoir Lit] SciFiNoir Needs Your Favorite Quotes)

  • Nora
    Message 1 of 139 , Jun 4, 2005

      I always hear people maligning the Lynch movie, and I don't get it. I
      *loved* that version. It was visually impressive, it got across the
      fundamental alienness of a world set 10,000 years in the future, and it was
      well-acted. I'd read the book before and found it okay, but the movie
      encouraged me to go back and re-read it and actually pay attention to all
      the slow exposition and political non-drama.

      Gotta agree, though -- the SciFi Channel version *did* put me to sleep.

      Nora
    • Chris Hayden
      Message 139 of 139 , Jul 30 7:44 AM
        <<Definitely take it and also take note of a few other stories as
        well --one by Linda Addison and some others--been a little while
        since I read it.

        If they get the series on can we get parts?

        Chris Hayden

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella \(formerly
        Tracey L. Minor\)" <tdlists@c...> wrote:
        > Since there are a lot of Steven Barnes and Tananarive Due fans on
        the site,
        > I thought you might be interested in hearing Due's manager is in
        the process
        > of pitching their joint effort Danger Word, the short story
        collaboration
        > that was part of Dark Dreams as a series for TV. has anybody read
        this?
        > I'm about to take a 14 hour plane ride. should i take this?
        > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-
        /0758207530/qid=1122711100/sr=8
        > -3/ref=pd_bbs_sbs_3/104-9837244-9551917?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
        >
        > Tracey

        would
        > > be
        > > > able to trump them either in raw manpower or in bureaucracy.
        If
        > > > England decided to go to war for example, they'd only need to
        go
        > > > through the Parliament.  If this new "US" wanted to go to war,
        > > they'd
        > > > have to go to EACH STATE SEPARATELY to get their approval.  And
        > > even
        > > > THEN some states might not want to cough up the loot needed to
        deal
        > > > with the threat.
        > >

        > > The southern states might be a confederacy but wouldn't the
        northern
        > > states still be the "united states" The northern states wanted
        > > the "union" didn't they?
        >
        > They did, but in the process of passing the Corwin Amendment, they'd
        > really end up hijacking the union--becoming more of a confederacy in
        > order to keep the south from leaving--in order to save it.
        >

        > > > Now SA didn't exist during this time period.
        > >
        > > True. But if all else remained the same, Europe would still be
        > > sending folks to Africa and to Australia. And some countries
        such as
        > > SA would probably exist. Or maybe not. Who knows if the US's
        slavery
        > > position helped make those imperialist European-oppressed African
        > > countries more -- or LESS-- prone to racist imperialism. Maybe US
        > > slavery encouraged the Afrikaans, etc. But maybe the Civil Rights
        > > movement a century later also helped the europeans leave Africa.
        > >
        > > Who knows?  But i do like the idea of the US being more
        multicultural
        > > and having more multicultural power with a culture more
        influenced by
        > > Native Americans, Africans, and "good" Europeans. Yep, am a
        wuss. The
        > > last holdout of the rainbow coalition.
        >
        > I do too...but I am not sure when the particular multicultural
        reality
        > that we are envisioning truly takes hold to build a nation.
        >

        > lks
        >
        > Dr. Lester K. Spence
        > Assistant Professor, Political Science and African Afro-American
        Studies
        > Washington University
        > Kellogg Scholar in Health Disparities 2004-2006

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: SciFiNoir_Lit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com