china mieville

  • La Tricia Ransom
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2005
      has anyone read him? i'm in the midst of perdido street station, and
      he's reeling me in like a fish. it took a moment for the hook to set,
      but i'm into his weird-ass world and weird-ass "people". got me shakin
      my head and mumblin "damned brits..."
      anybody else?

      a few months ago, when i was reading neal stephenson's diamond age, a
      guy sitting next to me on the struck up a conversation, asking how i
      liked the book/writer. he was a scifi head too. it was an interesting
      passing encounter, to meet a fellow fan that way.

      la tricia

      If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he isn't
      fit to live.
      -- Martin Luther King Jr.

    • Carole McDonnell
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 28, 2005
        Haven't read China, but since you've shared..will share this:

        I was reading *The Compass Rose* by Gail Dayton, a new release from
        Luna press, which has been putting out one novel a month in the
        supposedly white-hot field of speculative fiction with a romantic
        element. Anyway, without any additional comment, here is something
        from p. 220:

        (SPOILER and SEXUALITY ISSUES for those who may be offended)

        "Stone's hips bucked, his tip just nudging her entrance, and they
        both hissed with the feel of it."

        There you have it. I've never hissed...but maybe I have and my
        husband never told me. This is why I cringe at writing love scenes.
        -C

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, La Tricia Ransom <dirisha@i...>
        wrote:
        > has anyone read him? i'm in the midst of perdido street station,
        and
        > he's reeling me in like a fish. it took a moment for the hook to
        set,
        > but i'm into his weird-ass world and weird-ass "people". got me
        shakin
        > my head and mumblin "damned brits..."
        > anybody else?
        >
        > a few months ago, when i was reading neal stephenson's diamond age,
        > guy sitting next to me on the struck up a conversation, asking how
        > liked the book/writer. he was a scifi head too. it was an
        interesting
        > passing encounter, to meet a fellow fan that way.
        >
        > la tricia
        >
        > If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he
        isn't
        > fit to live.
        > -- Martin Luther King Jr.

      • Sun Ra
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2005
          wrote:
          > has anyone read him? i'm in the midst of perdido street station,
          and
          > he's reeling me in like a fish. it took a moment for the hook to
          set,
          > but i'm into his weird-ass world and weird-ass "people". got me
          shakin
          > my head and mumblin "damned brits..."
          > anybody else?
          >
          > a few months ago, when i was reading neal stephenson's diamond age,
          > guy sitting next to me on the struck up a conversation, asking how
          > liked the book/writer. he was a scifi head too. it was an
          interesting
          > passing encounter, to meet a fellow fan that way.
          >
          > la tricia
          >
          > If a man has not discovered something that he will die for, he
          isn't
          > fit to live.
          > -- Martin Luther King Jr.

          i read King Rat, and i just loved it...the ending and pacing was
          actually a bit Hollywoodish, but he dragged me in totally,

          Rob

          http://arghfuckkill.blogspot.com