Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Question

  • Astromancer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2005
      It would have to be the audiobook version of The Relic...especially the smell of decaying death that preceded the monster's appearance....I could imagine the fear of the people when they caought a whiff of it...and they knew someone was going to die...

      Oreoblues@... wrote:What was the last book -- book, not movie-- you read that terrified you?
      Really terrified, i mean, in the sense of almost keeping you up for the night
      and nagging at your memory?

      What was it that caused the terror?

      The visuals? The pain of the character? The possibility of the situation
      actually occurring? Some vague spiritual, psychological or racial discomfort?

      If you remember, I'd like to hear. I remember movies that terrify me. The
      last one was Sixth Sense. But books...I keep thinking the last one to terrify me
      must've been when I was a kid -- although Greg's story about people being
      repeatedly vived is kinda stressing. Maybe it's me but the writer in me just
      tends to be "delighted" in a creative way when I see a writer's webwork. But I
      don't think books scare me anymore.

      -C

      Carole McDonnell_"Then said I: 'Here am I; send me." _
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GenreChristianWriters)
      www.geocities.com/scifiwritir/OreoBlues.html
      groups.yahoo.com/group/genrechristianwriters
      groups.yahoo.com/group/hudsonvalleytristatewriters_
      groups.yahoo.com/group/Thecontestinganthologist_
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Thecontestinganthologist) (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EthnicChristianWriters)

      Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • Carole McDonnell
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2005
        Ooh, sounds terrifying. I wonder if the audio version is a cheat
        though. Would you have been just as terrified if you had read it? We
        live in such a multimedia world...it's interesting that it was the
        sense of smell that worked the terror magic.-C

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Astromancer <cwbadie@y...>
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21, 2005
          Hardly...it was an unabridged copy, right out of the book! I was driving a cab at the time...So imagine reading it in the middle of a night shift...