Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] tale be told

  • Ronald Methvin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Tenji888,

      I read your entire message, but, wow, was it
      difficult. Please don�t take this the wrong way, but
      I /highly/ suggest using some form of spell checker
      (there is one even integrated into Yahoo Mail), as
      well as capitalizing proper nouns and the first letter
      of the first word in every sentence. Most people
      won�t take the time to consider the content if the way
      it is presented is too confusing.

      ~Ron

      --- tenji888 <tenji888@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      LUNATIC FANBOY SCIENCE PRESENTS:
      FORWARD INTO THE PAST:

      FOREWORD INTO THE PAST:

      Justice.

      Superheroes stand for a lot. they stand for the dreams
      ofthe
      Amercan artist, for starters.

      the american artist, a rabidly persecuted species.
      she may ffeel
      like making elegant statments, weving gossamer webs of

      beauty and freedom -- always the American artist must
      bow
      down before patronage -- that same tool that empowered
      Mozart
      to write his requiems, the economic authority of
      crownedheads.
      Without patronage none of teh great classical
      musicians would
      have been able to produce -- meet beethoven shooting
      heroin
      and killing himself, meet rachmoninov blowing up the
      Oklahoma
      City officebuilding because he was frustrated and
      confused. the
      American artist has tosuck up and become a "pop
      dispenser" --
      failure to comply equals obscurity and poverty and
      ridicule.
      WEALL KNOW THAT. Who would pretend?

      in short, Pablo Picasso is called an asshole every day
      -- by
      those who shell out big bucks to feed nightmares and
      the
      ancient 'might makes right' cosmology to everyone.
      think it;s not
      important? When the youth who grew up on Superman and

      Spiderman dies under friendly fire -- his episteme was
      shaped
      by the ideas of those whowrote comic books.

      EVERYONE KNOWS THIS AND THOSE WHO DON'T ARE
      DECIEVED. Superman and Wonderwoman were symbols of
      tyranny and racist oppression to many people --
      Hitler's
      propagandists used images of hitler appearing like a
      GOD --
      this to decieve those who might have resisted the nazi

      onslaught.

      and at the same time those same superhero images stood
      for
      power against the worst of evils. the Lord of the
      Rings was also
      being written during the crisis that saw adolf
      hitlerczak attack
      tocontrol every nation on earth. Americans thrilled
      to the Justice
      Society of america's exploits: Aquaman as well as
      Captain
      America fought along side GI Joe and rosie the Riveter

      One argumen has been that superheroes make people fel
      inadequate as normal non superpowered beings.but is
      that
      soaccurate jesus christ, perhaps one of the main
      inspiration for
      superheroic fictiion, did anything but make people
      feel
      inadequate...

      The teen Titans std as an inspiration to youth
      thatthey could
      stand up to bullies and win, thatthey cold be great
      like the adlt
      versions. and after al kids were buying more comic
      books than
      anyone else. argualy still are.

      but in the Uited states youth have other problems.
      Milk cartn
      fatalities never seen again. Chandra levy and
      joonbenet ramsey
      are emblems as recognizable as captain marvel's bolt
      of
      lghtning or the black bat on bruce waynes chest - but
      they are
      emblems of childhood under siege. and heroes to save
      hem
      seem...

      lost, amnesatic as if theyhave forgotten...
      frgoen that childrens open lovinghearts,m children's
      love and
      innocence are teh future and must be protected.

      and there are no flying heroes of bulletproof nature
      -- except in
      the minds of stan 'the man' lee and archie godwin,
      Alan moore
      and Matt Wagner. when the chandra levys and Jon benet

      Ramseys of teh world need help, heroes, advocates,
      there is
      just us.

      and what can WE do?
      M. Marques Haley
      \Philadelphia
      2005

      LEGION: THE PLATINUM PALADIN
      FORWARD INTO THE PAST

      laven'd'r, prince of tamaran.he dreamed.

      First he saw the green lantern. She had lost her power
      ring in the
      toilet but instead of caling Plastic man to fish it
      out as
      hadhappened once to manny times, the ninteen year old
      green
      lantern simply wandered away...
      into the street, looking confused.

      laven'd'r giggled in his sleep.

      then he saw Superboy out in the street in front of
      legion
      headquarters acting the part of anidiot. out of
      uniform, without his
      spectacles...making a spectacle of himself. he was
      acting like a
      dog -- he lifted his leg and made on a electricar
      charger and
      wandered away, smoking.

      lavend'r giggled.

      then he saw powergirl, the musclebound atlantean
      sittng in
      arkham asylum knitting a doily. WHAT? knitting a
      fracking doily?
      whatin Creation --

      he woke up giggling. TOO WEIRD!

      name: laven'd'r of tamaran.
      secret identity:jake marley, or ghostwave of the
      legion of
      superheores. also known as Punkrocket and Doctor
      Decibel

      Abilities: punkrocket can manipulate astral fields up
      to and
      inliudicng the electromagnetic waelengths of teh sound

      spectrum. recruited in 2105 by Starfire, he was sent
      back n time
      tohelp them become stronger.

      this is why:

      Ghostwave woke up witha start! LAUGHING. he
      laughed..it was
      just too funny. green lantern wandering away from the
      toilet --
      thegreen gleam in the john...puperboy pissing on the
      electricar
      carger...

      then he felt it.

      DAMN! this is just like --

      when Kory had left tamaran the entire planetay
      opulation had
      been bummed out. theyhadreally loved her and everyone,

      everyonehad become depressed. to a telepathic like
      ghostwave
      this had been lke a sudden vacuum -- or a sudden huge
      silebnnce where there had once been many chatterng
      conssciousnesses. When he had arrived at LEGION HQ he
      had
      feltthe same thing: many diffeent consciousnesses all
      active
      and at diffeent levels of sensitivity. NOW, NOTHING --
      like
      something REALLY lame had happened.

      Frack.

      he got up and placed his fingers to his temples.
      waited.
      Phantom lass' consciousness was like a viddy screen on
      test
      patern -- always on but it washershield. she
      kepttoherself. She's
      stillhere.

      ghostwave zoomed.

      he found Phantom lass reclining on the couch watching
      television talking toher teddy bear.

      "Hey its the new boy. figured they didn't get you.
      um...ghostwave.
      do you know what;s gone down?"

      Ghostwave shook his head no.

      "Last nght SOMETHING happened. and the ENTIRE Legion
      has
      forgotten who theyare. ALL of them. some sort
      of...massive
      amnesia. It's bad, bad, bad! Smebdy;s got to do
      something."

      "we could...go hunt for cles?"

      "Welll use the data base. i have tostay here."
      "you have tostay here?" ghostwave stared, blinked.
      what the
      frack?

      "Gotta stay...gotta stay. teddy says."
      "frack teddy, phantom lass."
      "no really...i...i'm not mindwiped...but it got me
      too. I cant move.
      of course...look ghostwave this is the worst! YOU
      have todo
      something. Go TALK to the others. i mean i am
      PARALYZED. i
      cant get up."

      Ghostwave moved towards her. "Not a good idea."

      Huh.

      "Look: use chick Flash;s cosmic treadmill. go back.
      ...well go find the titans. get help.'

      "i just DID that!"

      "Oh."

      Subscribe Digest Mode:
      SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com
      Unsubscribe:

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Terms of Service.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • belsidus2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "tenji888" <tenji888@y...>
        wrote:

        > LUNATIC FANBOY SCIENCE PRESENTS:
        > FORWARD INTO THE PAST:
        >

        > FOREWORD INTO THE PAST:
        .
        <<I don't agree with everything in this piece,but I like it.

        It has the sheer inspired lunacy that is missing from Sci Fi and
        Comix today>>

        Chris Hayden
      • belsidus2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Ronald Methvin <ron@d...> wrote:
          > Tenji888,
          >
          > I read your entire message, but, wow, was it
          > difficult. Please don't take this the wrong way, but
          > I /highly/ suggest using some form of spell checker
          > (there is one even integrated into Yahoo Mail), as
          > well as capitalizing proper nouns and the first letter
          > of the first word in every sentence. Most people
          > won't take the time to consider the content if the way
          > it is presented is too confusing.
          >
          > ~Ron
          >

          ><<See? This is the problem in Spec Fiction today. Spec Fiction
          fans are always wailing about getting something different. When they
          get it, they start hollering for the same ole thang.

          Man! You are like squaresville! Like four corners! "capitalize the
          proper nouns"--People like you gave James Joyce the Vampyre Blues!

          All the those mistakes are part of his voice, man!

          Get with the program!

          Chris Hayden