Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Another Option for the self publisher

  • sancochojo
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
      Isn't the main difference is that a publisher can get your books in
      the store shelves vs a self publisher? A self publishing can't just
      call Borders and ask for shelf space, right. How do books stores
      handle self publishers. I think the easy part is getting the book
      physically made. Or does it really matter anymore. Amazon type
      sites should be the way to go for a self publisher, right?
    • Rob Fanney
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
        You get listed with a distributor -- Ingram, for example. It's not very difficult to do this as a self published author. Also, the process involving printing is pretty involved and money/time intensive (layout, typesetting, cover design, actual printing, getting your ISBN/SAN/LLC registered).

        That said, I'm not sure Cafe Press is the best offering for a POD. The high cost per page would, likely put you out of most markets if your book runs much more than 100 pages. Also, the formats are strange and non-traditional. 5.5"x8.5" and 6"x9" are the most pleasing and, therefore, best selling formats. I don't think Cafe Press offers these sizes. Some PODs are very restrictive in their options and these restrictions are worth noting.

        -R

        sancochojo <mccartjf@...> wrote:

        Isn't the main difference is that a publisher can get your books in
        the store shelves vs a self publisher? A self publishing can't just
        call Borders and ask for shelf space, right. How do books stores
        handle self publishers. I think the easy part is getting the book
        physically made. Or does it really matter anymore. Amazon type
        sites should be the way to go for a self publisher, right?

        Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        document.write('');

        Rob Fanney
        www.luthielssong.com

      • Tracey de Morsella (formerly Tracey L. M
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
          I agree. If I was involved with regular book publishing, I do not think I
          would choose this option. I sell directories that range from $75 - $250, so
          I have a huge profit margin. There has got to be a better low cost option
          for fiction writers.

          Tracey

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
            I don't know if there an are any other comic artists or illustrators
            on the list but I'm using www.dreamweaverpress.com to print my
            books. I've gotten samples and I'm on lists w/people who have used
            them, they seem good. They won't print more than 500 books tho' I
            pasted they're prices below
            Um, this is not advertising for them, they just seem to be the best
            option for me cuz they'll print grey scale. I'll update when I get
            my books back in a month or so. These are perfect bound books.
            Cheers Nara

            Price chart for Digest and Manga size books. 5.5 x 8.5
            25 50 75 100 150 250 500
            32pgs $81 $144 $180 $207 $275 $401 $752
            48pgs $95 $171 $216 $261 $324 $473 $779
            64pgs $99 $189 $252 $297 $378 $572 $900
            80pgs $122 $216 $284 $342 $405 $617 $995
            96pgs $131 $252 $315 $383 $477 $698 $1085
            128pgs $162 $311 $405 $477 $572 $860 $1328
            152pgs $176 $338 $410 $491 $594 $878 $1440
            200pgs $212 $392 $527 $612 $743 $1080 $1710

            --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey de Morsella \(formerly
            Tracey L. Minor\)" <tdlists@c...> wrote:
            > I agree. If I was involved with regular book publishing, I do not
            think I
            > would choose this option. I sell directories that range from $75 -
            $250, so
            > I have a huge profit margin. There has got to be a better low
            cost option
            > for fiction writers.

          • ravenadal
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 9, 2005
              There is a process for adding your ISBN and barcodes to books
              purchased through Cafepress, but you have to obtain the ISBN yourself.
              I included the link in a separate e-mail.

              I posted the Cafepress link for a reason. It is expensive per copy
              but there is no out of pocket cost. It is not cost effective for
              someone who wants to place books in bookstores or on Amazon.com
              because it seriously cuts into your profit margin (you don't want to
              overprice your book - especially a paperback book).

              It could be an effective end-around for a cash-strapped writer who
              has a website with reasonable traffic to attract the interest of an
              agent or a publisher. If one can move a few thousand copies someone
              will take notice.

              It definitely eliminates the "nightmare" of having hundreds of unsold
              books in your attic.

              Besides, it is a way to produce a "perfect" bound "reader" copy of
              your novel for $10 to $16.

              ~rave!