Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Do black Fantasy authors exist??

  • Gymfig@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 9, 2004
      In a message dated 12/9/2004 9:12:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      mccartjf@... writes:
      Can someone list Black authors of Fantasy (Sword and Sorcery type
      genre not Science Fiction). I'm curious to know are there any
      published works out there.
      Good question. I would like to know too.

    • belsidus2000
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 9, 2004
        Charles Saunders, author of the Imaro books, and our own Cecil
        Washington. (Sorry Ceec--drawing a blank--provide the titles and urls
        for him, please) Stephen Barnes has dones some stuff that I think
        some would call alternate history, since it is not strictly sword and
        sorcery--ie Conan, the Grey Mouser, Elric, etc.

        Nora, would your book, DREAMBLOOD qualify?

        Chris Hayden

        Chris Hayden

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Gymfig@a... wrote:
        > In a message dated 12/9/2004 9:12:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > mccartjf@y... writes:
        > Can someone list Black authors of Fantasy (Sword and Sorcery type
        > genre not Science Fiction). I'm curious to know are there any
        > published works out there.
        > Good question. I would like to know too.

      • Nora
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2004

          Definitely, but it's not published yet. =) Although I do have a fantasy
          short story coming out soon (mentioned in my last email).

          I thought about mentioning Stephen, but I wasn't sure about that. Isn't
          alternate history usually considered a subgenre of SF, not fantasy?

          Nora
        • SEBARNES@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2004
            Blood Brothers and Iron Shadows would probably both be considered fantasy
            novels. Brandon Massey writes fantasy. Part of what you're dealing with here is
            that women tend more toward fantasy than "hard" SF, and most of the black
            speculative writers are women. That, of course, is a separate issue.

            Steve

            Check out my new blog site:
            http://darkush.blogspot.com

          • Astromancer
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2004
              JEEZ! Charles Saunders! Has he written anything since the '70's???

              belsidus2000 <Frofidemus@...> wrote:
              Charles Saunders, author of the Imaro books, and our own Cecil
              Washington. (Sorry Ceec--drawing a blank--provide the titles and urls
              for him, please) Stephen Barnes has dones some stuff that I think
              some would call alternate history, since it is not strictly sword and
              sorcery--ie Conan, the Grey Mouser, Elric, etc.

              Nora, would your book, DREAMBLOOD qualify?

              Chris Hayden

              Chris Hayden

              --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Gymfig@a... wrote:
              > In a message dated 12/9/2004 9:12:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              > mccartjf@y... writes:
              > Can someone list Black authors of Fantasy (Sword and Sorcery type
              > genre not Science Fiction). I'm curious to know are there any
              > published works out there.
              > Good question. I would like to know too.

              Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • belsidus2000
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2004
                <The last time I heard from him he was working to get some reissues
                of his Imaro work together and he was working on some new stuff--but
                I haven't seen anything or heard anything from him.

                Chris Hayden

                --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Astromancer <cwbadie@y...>
                wrote:
                > JEEZ! Charles Saunders! Has he written anything since the '70's???
                >
                > belsidus2000 <Frofidemus@n...> wrote:
                > Charles Saunders, author of the Imaro books, and our own Cecil
                > Washington. (Sorry Ceec--drawing a blank--provide the titles and
                urls
                > for him, please) Stephen Barnes has dones some stuff that I think
                > some would call alternate history, since it is not strictly sword
                and
                > sorcery--ie Conan, the Grey Mouser, Elric, etc.
                >
                > Nora, would your book, DREAMBLOOD qualify?
                >
                > Chris Hayden
                >
                > Chris Hayden
                >
                > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Gymfig@a... wrote:
                > > In a message dated 12/9/2004 9:12:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                > > mccartjf@y... writes:
                > > Can someone list Black authors of Fantasy (Sword and Sorcery type
                > > genre not Science Fiction). I'm curious to know are there any
                > > published works out there.
                > > Good question. I would like to know too.

              • Amy Harlib
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2004
                  aharlib@...
                  The fabulous Imaro trilogy by Charles Saunders!
                  Out of print but worth looking for. One short story each in Dark Matters
                  and Dark Matters 2 anthologies. Below is the URL for a website!
                  Cheers!
                  Amy
                  http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/imaro.htm

                  > Can someone list Black authors of Fantasy (Sword and Sorcery type
                  > genre not Science Fiction). I'm curious to know are there any
                  > published works out there.
                  >

                  > Community email addresses:
                  > Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subscribe: SciFiNoir_Lit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 2, 2005
                    I exist!

                    I have completed a fantasy novel titled "The Forgotten Prince" It is
                    a sword and sorcery story. Sheree R. Thomas did the first Editorial
                    Review about a year ago and I am working on the screenplay adaptation
                    with some USC film students. I hope to have the novel and screenplay
                    completely done by Fall 2006.

                    This is my most extensive work.

                    -Michael A. Gill-Branion

                    --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Harlib" <aharlib@e...>