Fahrenheit and Mist To Be Filmed

  • Tracey deMorsella (formerly Tracey Minor)
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2004
      Hot For Fahrenheit

      Writer/director Frank Darabont told SCI FI Wire that he will definitely
      direct a new film version of Ray Bradbury's seminal SF novel Fahrenheit 451
      in the near future. "Since I was 9 years old I've wanted to make this
      movie," Darabont said in an interview. "I think it is the most eloquent
      indictment of political intolerance—fascism, if you will—that's ever been
      written."

      Darabont, who has already tapped out a Fahrenheit 451 screenplay, added, "It
      is particularly relevant to our society today, where the definition of
      patriotism is being twisted around to mean the opposite of what it should
      be. Society is always trying to become oppressive, and that's what Bradbury
      was writing about. He wrote it as a cry from the heart, as a reaction
      against the McCarthy era. So it's very timely again, in my view. Aside from
      that, it's just a walloping good story."

      The writer-director of The Shawshank Redeption and The Green Mile added that
      he pretty much ignored the existence of Francois Truffaut's 1966 version of
      Fahrenheit 451. "It really missed on a lot of levels," Darabont said. "It
      was a very bland and lifeless movie, wasn't it? For such a passionate piece
      of literature the movie just kind of sat there. Also, in terms of visuals,
      boy, there's nothing we can't do now by comparison to the limited things
      they could do then."

      For example, in his take on the material, Darabont intends to include
      Bradbury's mechanical hound. "They didn't even try to make the mechanical
      hound back in Truffaut's day," the filmmaker said. "I'm very anxious to put
      that on the screen. Early days, yet, but I'm guessing that we'll probably
      want to do it as a seamless combination of [animatronics and computer
      animation]."
      ========================

      Darabont Enters The Mist

      Frank Darabont confirmed to SCI FI Wire that he plans to write and direct a
      film version of Stephen King's horror tale The Mist, which appeared as a
      short novel in King's Skeleton Crew collection. Darabont previously scored
      successes with The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, both of which
      were based on King stories. "I love the fact that The Mist is a pressure
      cooker that's character-driven and that's a down-and-dirty monster movie,"
      Darabont said in an interview while promoting the upcoming 10th anniversary
      special-edition DVD of The Shawshank Redemption. "I just love it."

      Darabont added, "It's that wonderful Steve King taste in the mouth. I'm
      excited about getting back to my horror roots. I'm also excited about
      getting in there and shooting something down-and-dirty. I envision the
      monster barely glimpsed, just like in the story. These are things that you
      don't quite ever fully see. So I'm going to take a cue from everybody's
      godfather, Mr. Spielberg, and show the shark as little as possible," he
      added, referring to Steven Spielberg's Jaws.

      The writer/director added that he'll start work on the Mist script "next
      week," but wasn't sure when it would get made, as he's already attached to
      direct a Fahrenheit 451 remake and may also take on Mine, a thriller to be
      based on a Robert McCammon novel in which both the hero and the villain are
      female. "That one may go first," Darabont said. "It's all in the hands of
      the film gods."

      Tracey deMorsella, Managing Producer
      Convergence Media, Inc.
      Home of The Multicultural Advantage
      Phone: 215-849-0946
      E-mail: tdemorsella @...
      http://www.multiculturaladvantage.com
      ---
    • Nora
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2004
        Ooooh! The Mist is one of the few bona-fide "scary" stories I've ever read.
        It'll be easy to screw up, but if they can manage to capture even a fraction
        of the story's suspense and surrealism, I'll be happy. =)

        Nora
      • daikaiju66
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
          I would really love to see a film version of The Mist. It's one of
          Stephen King's best works.

          --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Tracey deMorsella \(formerly

        • daikaiju66
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
            --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Nora <njem@e...> wrote:
            > Ooooh! The Mist is one of the few bona-fide "scary" stories I've
            ever read.
            > It'll be easy to screw up, but if they can manage to capture even a
            fraction
            > of the story's suspense and surrealism, I'll be happy. =)
            >
            > Nora

            Once upon a time I heard that the diretor planned to shoot the
            grocery store and other interior scenes in vivid color but evey time
            the humans venture into the mist the colors would be muted or black
            and white. That would be very effective.