Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] The Village review by Carole McDonnell

  • Amy Harlib
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      aharlib@...

      > Hi all:
      >
      > Just submitted this to my usual review site ...www.thefilmforum.com. Will
      > probably be posted soon. I liked the film a lot!!! But a lot of people
      will feel
      > very disappopinted in the ending and miss the point entirely. So am trying
      > give this great film a chance. -C
      >
      > THE VILLAGE, reviewed by M Night Shymalan
      > 0
      > Remember how you felt when you found out there was no Santa Claus? Or, a
      bit
      > more timely, when you found out about the Bush presidents abuse of
      authority
      > as you watched Farenheit 9/11? Healthy annoyance at being deceived or
      downright
      > misdirected is a normal reaction when one realizes one has been
      manipulated.
      > I suspect many folks will be downright aggrieved with M Night Shymalan's
      The
      > Village. But I beg them to truly consider this movie and put aside their
      > annoyance at the twisty-ending. The ending, after all, proves the point of
      the film.

      > When the film begins, we are in a little village where bliss, tension, and
      > purity lives. The religion of the place is unclear and all but missing--
      they m
      > ay be Amish, Mennonites, etc-- but the mythos of the world looms large.
      There
      > are elements of ritual, taboo, boundaries, even sacramental colors. Blood
      red
      > is a forbidden color. There are "others" who cannot be spoken of. There
      are
      > boxes that hold secrets (For whom? As reminders? For future generations?)
      > There are talks about love and bonds. Shymalan even loads up the issue by
      having
      > characters on the goodness scale: the good and blind Ivy, the born into
      > original sinlike Lucius (Yep, light IS his name and he seeks llight) and
      the
      > innocently amoral Noah (Yep, another Biblical name) who knows neither good
      nor evil.
      > And of course, there is that awful oath-covenant-truce made with the
      beings
      > beyond the boundaries. The main characters are somewhat "different," so
      the
      > audience feels safely in mythic fantasy terror-torry and has been hooked
      by the
      > misdirection. Yep, we have fallen for this "reality" hook, line and
      sinker,
      > which is M Night Shymalan's specialty.
      >
      > Of course the truth and twist gets relieved. At first, one's mouth falls
      > open. It stays open for a while. I'll tell you I asked my son the twist
      ending
      > and made a zillion guesses. He said, nope, you haven't guessed it yet!
      Ah, if
      > only i had remembered my favorite Tennyson quote about Eden -- which i
      will not
      > tell you because it would immediately give the entire story away. But
      this
      > very religious piece of work might trouble those who actually understand
      what
      > Shymalan is saying. (And don't go looking for the quote on the internet
      > find that Tennyson quote...that's cheating. Besides, it's a minor line
      that i
      > doubt is online anyway.) I assure you most people will be disappointed
      with the
      > movie. But if they choose to see the philosophical underpinnings and to
      ask
      > themselves a few honest questions about politics, family life, innocence
      and
      > guilt, they'll consider the film a minor masterpiece, a film which uses
      > misdirection to show its viewers the devastation and cost of misdirection.
      Highly

    • SEBARNES@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
        I enjoyed "the Village" as well. I think the acting is just a hair "off,"
        but to talk about that too much might be delving into its surprises.
        Shyamalan is making his films his way, and if not every one of them sails out of the
        park, well, whose does? He's still a great filmmaker. Will he mature into a
        Hitchcock? Who knows? But Shyamalan's first five films certainly hold up
        brilliantly compared to Hitch's first five.

        Steve

        Check out my new blog site:
        http://journals.aol.com/sebarnes/STEVESBLOG/

      • Laileana
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
          I saw the movie friday and liked it alot. The friends I went with were disappointed, but I liked what the film was saying. I kind of guessed the twist about midway thru-but am a big fan of M Night Shyamalans films and knew enough to follow the clues. I want to see it again myself.

          Lois

          > Hi all:
          >
          > Just submitted this to my usual review site ...www.thefilmforum.com. Will
          > probably be posted soon. I liked the film a lot!!! But a lot of people
          will feel
          > very disappopinted in the ending and miss the point entirely. So am trying
          > give this great film a chance. -C

          Forgive me Father for I am Sin, I am a child of lust and a Witch of the wind....