RE: [SciFiNoir Lit] Re: Dark Tower

  • Nora
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2004
      EHHHHH?! Is SoS out already??? I gotta get to the bookstore!

      Nora

    • nita price
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2004
        Hi My SciFiNoir Lit Family!

        I finished reading Dawn by Octavie E. Butler on Friday, and was mad when it ended! Her book is an excellent read. I have yet to purchase the other two books in the series but they're definitely on my to-buy list this Summer.

        Once I finished reading Dawn, I started reading Badlands: An Underground Science Fiction Novel by Cecil Washington. It's also an excellent read. I finished reading it yesterday. I hated when it ended, as well. I hope there's a sequel! (hint-hint)

        Now, I'm reading The Awakening by L.A. Banks. I bought it when it was released and I'm now getting around to it.

        So....what is everyone reading??????? Just wanted to know so I can pick up some more SciFi novels.

        Blessed Be......Queen Nita

        Well, the Queen has spoken, not with conceit, but with love....Peace & Blessed Be.....Queen Nita

        The past makes us who we are; don't make it your burden.....Jet Li in Twin Warriors

        Today is a gift, tomorrow is a blessing & Live without worry for tomorrow or fear for today......Colleen Shannon's "The Trelayne Inheritance"

        Let your LIFE preach more LOUDLY than your LIPS.........E. Lynn Harris' "Abide With Me"

      • cecilwashington
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2004
          There's a sequel to Badlands. It's taking me forever to get around
          to doing the third edit. I'm 2/3 of the way through a third edit and
          have been stalled like that for months. Life's getting in the way,
          as well as an urge to write other stuff.

          But, I'm glad you enjoyed the book!
        • nita price
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2004
            Hi My SciFiNoir Lit Family!
            I forgot to give a brief synopsis of each novel.
            Here they are:
            DAWN by Octavia E. Butler - Lilith Iyapo is in the remote Andes, mourning the death of her husband and son, when nuclear war destroys the world. Centuries later, she revives, held captive aboard a starship. Miraculously powerful and hideously grotesque galactic beings, the oankali have rescued the planet and the war's victims out of an irresistible need to heal and a greater need to change all they touch. for the Oankali survive by merging genetically with primitive peoples - without their permission. Lilith's children will inherit the Earth and stars. But they will be more - and other -- than human.

            BADLANDS: AN UNDERGROUND SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL by Cecil Washington - Badlands is the story of a future breed of warriors called "yogin." The yogin are a warrior caste that serves as the elite protectors of Earth's alien conquerors, the Grells. The yogin also protect humanity from a vicious, man-eating sub-species called Homo Carnivorous. Paris is a yogin that reblled against the Grells. His quest is to attain the next level of power in hopes of freeing the world. Throughout his struggle he is both guided and tormented by Ori, his former master. Ori is a Grell noble who has mixed feelings towards humans. Ori cannot decide Paris and other humans are his children, his porperty or are, in fact, his friends. Paris' love interest is Leah. She is a strong military woman who falls for Paris, despite his odd ways. However, Leah finds that she musst compete for his affections as he falls under the thrall of a beautiful and seductive older woman named Mauria. Mauria is the only yogin
            who is more powerful than Paris. He must decide if she is the eky that will help him to become strong enough to defeat the Grell emperor known as The First One, and his battalion of alien cyborgs.

            THE AWAKENING: A VAMPIRE HUNTRESS LEGEND by L.A. Banks (this is Book 2 of a trilogy; Book 1 is MINION and Book 3 is THE HUNTED)- A battle is brewing in the underworld, and at the center of it all is Damali Richards, spoken word artist and vampire huntress. But she is not just any huntress; she is the millennium Neteru, a woman so powerful that the vampire world is about to start a war - one that threatens to spread onto her streets - in order to possess her. Fallon Nuit, a rogue vampire who is one of the most powerful Damali has ever encountered, has allied himself with the deadly Amanthra demons in order to claim her. But the Vampire Council has plans for her as well. And now an unlikely variable has entered the equation: an ex-lover turned vampire with an agenda of his own. Damali must risk trusting him once more if they are to survive.

            This is a novel I forgot to mention that I'd read. I, ROBOT by Isaac Asimov - This is a book of stories of robots gone mad, mind-reading robots, robots with a sense of humor, robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world. (this is going to be a movie which comes out July 16, I believe starring Wil Smith)

            I highly recommend all of these reads.
            Blessed Be....Queen Nita
            nita price <queennefertiti19154@...> wrote:

[...]

            Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2004
              Hi Cecil!
              I'm sooo glad to hear that. :0) You take your time and do your thing, okay? I was talking to my brother about your novel and he says, wow, that sounds like it would be a very good movie. :0)
              In a couple of weeks I'm going to read your novel WALKWARE, so be on the lookout for my review, okay?
              Blessed Be.....Queen Nita