Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Roll Call: What have you been reading??

  • Gymfig@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14 9:11 PM
      In a message dated 5/14/2004 10:24:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      laileana@... writes:

      > I loved the winds of the forelands series myself.
      >
      > Lois

      Isnt it great!!!!!!!!

    • Amy Harlib
      Message 2 of 8 , May 15 12:21 PM
        aharlib@...

        > This is a roll call. We have not had one in ages. Tell the group what
        you
        > have read over the past six months, who it is by, what the plot is,
        whether
        > or not you like it, and why.

        This is a graphic novel but I think this group would appreciate it!
        Cheers!
        Amy

        Garlands of Moonlight, a graphic novel written by Jai Sen. Illustrated by
        Rizky Wasisto Edi. (Shoto Press, PO Box 331, Delhi, NY 13753,
        www.shotopress.com , June 2002, $4.59, trade paperback, ISBN#:
        0-9717564-0-6).

        'Garlands of Moonlight'; Shoto Press; writer Jai Sen; artist Rizky Wasisto
        Edi---all represent the debut of a new phenomenon in the graphic novel
        world---a blossoming of talent, independently publishing their unique,
        unconventional and brilliant work and duly winning a well-deserved 2002
        Xeric Foundation grant for quality from a small press.

        Jai Sen and Rizky Wasisto Edi, of Japanese and Indonesian background
        respectively, who met while they were students in Indonesia, have teamed up
        to create innovative sequential art and storytelling projects using their
        Asian heritage for source material and inspiration. Their first effort,
        'Garlands of Moonlight', impresses immediately just by its physical
        appearance and format. The story comes in a compact 5" x 7" trade
        paperback, perfect bound to be read horizontally and printed on smooth,
        shiny, sturdy paper. That not being sufficiently distinctive, the
        publication process also involves Mr. Edi's exquisite artwork getting
        further enhanced by a technique I've never seen before, but which works
        perfectly to suit the style and the mood of the piece---his detailed, black
        and white and shaded pencil drawings and inks are deftly replicated and
        liberally highlighted with metallic, silver accents in every panel, making
        the whole gestalt glisten and shimmer in a dazzling way!

        The book's appearance may be very special and appealing and the artwork
        gorgeously renders the characters and their environs, but what about the
        yarn itself? Yes, the written contents fully live up to the fine packaging,
        for 'Garlands of Moonlight' also features a fascinating background and dark
        fantasy plot set on a small island village in 19th century Dutch colonial
        Indonesia. The story focuses on Marsiti, a "jamu lady", a traditional
        healer and elderly wise woman who has recently come to the settlement,
        committed to tending to the inhabitants physical and spiritual health. Her
        friendly rival is a young named Hidayat who wishes to eschew traditions in
        favor of Western ways of science and medicine.

        It doesn't take long for Marsiti to begin experiencing a growing sense of
        alarming disquiet accompanied by strange occurrences, (babies vanish,
        mothers are found murdered night after night), indicating that the village
        women have become the prey of a supernatural entity that leaves bizarre
        calling cards after each visit---oddly warped, shaped and thorny plants that
        sprout suddenly outside the windows of the victims' homes. Adding to the
        residents' woes, a greedy and exploitative Dutch colonial officer arrives,
        forcing Marsiti and those she cares about to deal with the dual,
        simultaneous threats of the foreigner's rage and destructive potential
        having been met with resistance, (encouraged by Hidayat), and the fearfully
        tragic turmoil caused by an otherworldly, vampiric force from the legends
        and beliefs of the islanders' mythical past.

        The combined talents of 'Garlands of Moonlight's' creators have produced an
        eerily stunning dark fantasy that skillfully blends vivid characters (the
        bold and challenging Hidayat questioning the traditional wisdom of the
        grandmotherly Marsiti); historically important events (colonial powers
        oppressing indigenous people); provocative ideas (how belief systems
        influence the perception of reality); and spine-tingling suspense when a
        supernatural creature from the legendary past sinisterly manifests in the
        midst of upheavals brought about by the clash of civilizations. That the
        weird being in question happens to be female in essence also raises
        important questions about the age-old fear of women's power in a patriarchal
        society and the emotional and intellectual costs when nearly all of the
        feminine half of the population (with exceptions like Marsiti), gets
        dominated by the males. The one-dimensional villainy of the Dutch officer
        remains the sole underdeveloped aspect of this otherwise superlative example
        of the creativity happening in independently published graphic novels.

        That 'Garlands of Moonlight' delivers so much cultural complexity,
        storytelling skill (thanks to Jai Sen), and artistic richness (kudos to
        Rizky Wasisto Edi) packed into 85 pages in such an elegant, compact volume,
        and a first time effort at that, is nothing short of astonishing---and all
        for the price of $4.59! This book can be easily obtained through major
        online booksellers or directly from the publisher. Don't miss this one!
        Shoto Press has ambitious plans to produce more innovative, exciting,
        Asian-themed work on a quarterly basis and their endeavors deserve the
        widest support and recognition. 'Garlands of Moonlight', with its ingenious
        and enthralling blend of the fantastic with harsh historical realities will
        hopefully be only the first flower in a blossoming garden of flourishing
        graphic novel delights.
      • Tracey deMorsella (formerly Tracey Minor)
        Message 3 of 8 , May 15 12:51 PM
          Jai is a member here!! I am sure she will appreciate the recommendation!

          Tracey

> [...]

          of the creativity happening in independently published graphic novels.

          That 'Garlands of Moonlight' delivers so much cultural complexity,
          storytelling skill (thanks to Jai Sen), and artistic richness (kudos to
          Rizky Wasisto Edi) packed into 85 pages in such an elegant, compact volume,
          and a first time effort at that, is nothing short of astonishing---and all
          for the price of $4.59! This book can be easily obtained through major
          online booksellers or directly from the publisher. Don't miss this one!
          Shoto Press has ambitious plans to produce more innovative, exciting,
          Asian-themed work on a quarterly basis and their endeavors deserve the
          widest support and recognition. 'Garlands of Moonlight', with its ingenious
          and enthralling blend of the fantastic with harsh historical realities will
          hopefully be only the first flower in a blossoming garden of flourishing

          Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com
          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---
        • Laileana
          Message 4 of 8 , May 16 6:21 PM
            > I loved the winds of the forelands series myself.
            >
            > Lois

            Isnt it great!!!!!!!!

            Yes it is. I am anxiously awaiting the next book.

            Lois

            Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 8 , May 20 8:24 AM
              I dont know what is going to happen next. Maybe a Qirsi marriage with non
              qirsi?

            • Laileana