Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Roll Call: What have you been reading??

  • Laileana
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2004
      I loved the winds of the forelands series myself.

      Lois

      Winds of the Forelands by David B. Coe.

      Rules of Ascension

      Seeds of Betrayal (just finished)

      More books to follow.

      I love these books. Think George RR Martin with real magic. The Qirsi are
      magicians (non human and pale skinned) who lost the Eandi (human) in the Qirsi
      Wars 900 years ago. Their leaders were Weavers. They can bend to their will the
      thoughts of others and the power of other Qirsi. Most Weavers were destroyed.

      The Qirsi have been slowing but surely taking out the Eandi to create a Qirsi
      homeland. Since the Eandi are divided by kingdoms and by clans, they don't
      suspect their Qirsi ministers are slowing destroying them.

      Very good. I never got into Martin, but I love this series.

      The Fencer Trilogy K J Parker

      Colours in the Steel (read)

      The Belly of the Bow (now reading) .

      Proof House (Have to buy)

      If you like the Black Company kind of humor, you will love this book.

      Bardas Loredan is a fencer in law. All of the court cases are decided by
      fencing. You lose a case, if your lawyer dies. It does not matter if you are in
      the right. Baradas used to be a soldier that destroyed the plainspeople. Now the
      plainspeople are back, but Baradas wants to retire. He is called upon to
      defend the city.

      Did I mention that his brother killed his father and brother and his niece
      wants to kill him?

      : )

      The second book deals with Baradas and his family.

      I am going to have to wait for next year so that I can get the trade
      paperbacks for the Dark Tower series. Wolves was supposed to come out this June. It
      will not be out until next January.

      Damn you Steven.

      : - (

      Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 8 , May 14, 2004
        In a message dated 5/14/2004 10:24:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        laileana@... writes:

        > I loved the winds of the forelands series myself.
        >
        > Lois

        Isnt it great!!!!!!!!

      • Amy Harlib
        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 2004
          aharlib@...

          > This is a roll call. We have not had one in ages. Tell the group what
          you
          > have read over the past six months, who it is by, what the plot is,
          whether
          > or not you like it, and why.

          This is a graphic novel but I think this group would appreciate it!
          Cheers!
          Amy

          Garlands of Moonlight, a graphic novel written by Jai Sen. Illustrated by
          Rizky Wasisto Edi. (Shoto Press, PO Box 331, Delhi, NY 13753,
          www.shotopress.com , June 2002, $4.59, trade paperback, ISBN#:
          0-9717564-0-6).

          'Garlands of Moonlight'; Shoto Press; writer Jai Sen; artist Rizky Wasisto
          Edi---all represent the debut of a new phenomenon in the graphic novel
          world---a blossoming of talent, independently publishing their unique,
          unconventional and brilliant work and duly winning a well-deserved 2002
          Xeric Foundation grant for quality from a small press.

          Jai Sen and Rizky Wasisto Edi, of Japanese and Indonesian background
          respectively, who met while they were students in Indonesia, have teamed up
          to create innovative sequential art and storytelling projects using their
          Asian heritage for source material and inspiration. Their first effort,
          'Garlands of Moonlight', impresses immediately just by its physical
          appearance and format. The story comes in a compact 5" x 7" trade
          paperback, perfect bound to be read horizontally and printed on smooth,
          shiny, sturdy paper. That not being sufficiently distinctive, the
          publication process also involves Mr. Edi's exquisite artwork getting
          further enhanced by a technique I've never seen before, but which works
          perfectly to suit the style and the mood of the piece---his detailed, black
          and white and shaded pencil drawings and inks are deftly replicated and
          liberally highlighted with metallic, silver accents in every panel, making
          the whole gestalt glisten and shimmer in a dazzling way!

          The book's appearance may be very special and appealing and the artwork
          gorgeously renders the characters and their environs, but what about the
          yarn itself? Yes, the written contents fully live up to the fine packaging,
          for 'Garlands of Moonlight' also features a fascinating background and dark
          fantasy plot set on a small island village in 19th century Dutch colonial
          Indonesia. The story focuses on Marsiti, a "jamu lady", a traditional
          healer and elderly wise woman who has recently come to the settlement,
          committed to tending to the inhabitants physical and spiritual health. Her
          friendly rival is a young named Hidayat who wishes to eschew traditions in
          favor of Western ways of science and medicine.

          It doesn't take long for Marsiti to begin experiencing a growing sense of
          alarming disquiet accompanied by strange occurrences, (babies vanish,
          mothers are found murdered night after night), indicating that the village
          women have become the prey of a supernatural entity that leaves bizarre
          calling cards after each visit---oddly warped, shaped and thorny plants that
          sprout suddenly outside the windows of the victims' homes. Adding to the
          residents' woes, a greedy and exploitative Dutch colonial officer arrives,
          forcing Marsiti and those she cares about to deal with the dual,
          simultaneous threats of the foreigner's rage and destructive potential
          having been met with resistance, (encouraged by Hidayat), and the fearfully
          tragic turmoil caused by an otherworldly, vampiric force from the legends
          and beliefs of the islanders' mythical past.

          The combined talents of 'Garlands of Moonlight's' creators have produced an
          eerily stunning dark fantasy that skillfully blends vivid characters (the
          bold and challenging Hidayat questioning the traditional wisdom of the
          grandmotherly Marsiti); historically important events (colonial powers
          oppressing indigenous people); provocative ideas (how belief systems
          influence the perception of reality); and spine-tingling suspense when a
          supernatural creature from the legendary past sinisterly manifests in the
          midst of upheavals brought about by the clash of civilizations. That the
          weird being in question happens to be female in essence also raises
          important questions about the age-old fear of women's power in a patriarchal
          society and the emotional and intellectual costs when nearly all of the
          feminine half of the population (with exceptions like Marsiti), gets
          dominated by the males. The one-dimensional villainy of the Dutch officer
          remains the sole underdeveloped aspect of this otherwise superlative example
          of the creativity happening in independently published graphic novels.

          That 'Garlands of Moonlight' delivers so much cultural complexity,
          storytelling skill (thanks to Jai Sen), and artistic richness (kudos to
          Rizky Wasisto Edi) packed into 85 pages in such an elegant, compact volume,
          and a first time effort at that, is nothing short of astonishing---and all
          for the price of $4.59! This book can be easily obtained through major
          online booksellers or directly from the publisher. Don't miss this one!
          Shoto Press has ambitious plans to produce more innovative, exciting,
          Asian-themed work on a quarterly basis and their endeavors deserve the
          widest support and recognition. 'Garlands of Moonlight', with its ingenious
          and enthralling blend of the fantastic with harsh historical realities will
          hopefully be only the first flower in a blossoming garden of flourishing
          graphic novel delights.
        • Tracey deMorsella (formerly Tracey Minor)
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15, 2004
            Jai is a member here!! I am sure she will appreciate the recommendation!

            Tracey

> [...]

            of the creativity happening in independently published graphic novels.

            That 'Garlands of Moonlight' delivers so much cultural complexity,
            storytelling skill (thanks to Jai Sen), and artistic richness (kudos to
            Rizky Wasisto Edi) packed into 85 pages in such an elegant, compact volume,
            and a first time effort at that, is nothing short of astonishing---and all
            for the price of $4.59! This book can be easily obtained through major
            online booksellers or directly from the publisher. Don't miss this one!
            Shoto Press has ambitious plans to produce more innovative, exciting,
            Asian-themed work on a quarterly basis and their endeavors deserve the
            widest support and recognition. 'Garlands of Moonlight', with its ingenious
            and enthralling blend of the fantastic with harsh historical realities will
            hopefully be only the first flower in a blossoming garden of flourishing

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            ---
            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

            ---
          • Laileana
            Message 5 of 8 , May 16, 2004
              > I loved the winds of the forelands series myself.
              >
              > Lois

              Isnt it great!!!!!!!!

              Yes it is. I am anxiously awaiting the next book.

              Lois

              Message 6 of 8 , May 20, 2004
                I dont know what is going to happen next. Maybe a Qirsi marriage with non
                qirsi?

              • Laileana