Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Links and BSF

  • Maurice (Reece) Jennings
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 30, 2002
      Hmmmmm,,, All Black SF is, John? Or just those starting out who aren't famous...
      How about Samuel Delany and Octavia Butler?

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 30, 2002
        Reece,

        Your email puzzled me until I realized you thought I was referring to
        the field of black science fiction. I was in fact writing about my
        collection of thirty-nine short stories entitled BLACK SCIENCE
        FICTION. I repeated the links because they weren't hot in the
        previous email: Intro: John Faucette, New York City.

        I made reference to the selfpublishing because some people are
        particular about that sort of thing. I didn't want there to be any
        surprises for them.

        I hope this answers your question.

        Peace

        John

        "Maurice \(Reece\) Jennings" <mcjennings@s...> wrote:

        > Hmmmmm,,, All Black SF is, John? Or just those starting out who
        aren't famous...
        > How about Samuel Delany and Octavia Butler?

      • Maurice (Reece) Jennings
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
          It did, John. Thanks! You have 39 short stories? I think I dumped the email with the links. Can you send a location where I can buy all or some?

          Reece Jennings

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
            --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@y..., "Maurice \(Reece\) Jennings"
            <mcjennings@s...> wrote:

            > It did, John. Thanks! You have 39 short stories? I think I
            dumped the email with the links. Can you send a location where I can
            buy all or some?

            BLACK SCIENCE FICTION: http://www.bscifi.com

            The site contains nine sample stories and a link to the publisher.

            Also, the URL is posted in LINKS.

            Peace.

            John
          • Laileana
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
              It has come to my attention that Amazon is promoting and selling a book which represents pedophilia as a life style. I know that the authors of the book have freedom of speech but I also have the freedom to boycott a book seller which in my opinion sells books that endanger children. I do not know if anyone is interested, but I did want to make concerned parties aware.

              Lois

              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0854492410/qid%3D1036063010/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-4977301-0621462

              Blessed be the turtles for they carry the weight of the world.

            • D M Lockhart
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                Where was this book being "promoted"?

                Are you equally as outraged about "Germs: Biological
                Weapons and America's Secret War" by Judith Miller,
                Stephen Engelberg, and William Broad?

                [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684871599/qid=1036089519/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-6113697-8888154%5d

                Isn't it better to educate children and protect them
                from stuff like this than to boycott a seller of
                books?

                I think boycotting Amazon only blocks good books from
                being shared while effectively promotes negativity.

                --- Laileana <laileana@...> wrote:

                > It has come to my attention that Amazon is promoting
                > and selling a book which represents pedophilia as a
                > life style. I know that the authors of the book have
                > freedom of speech but I also have the freedom to
                > boycott a book seller which in my opinion sells
                > books that endanger children. I do not know if
                > anyone is interested, but I did want to make
                > concerned parties aware.
                >
                > Lois

                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0854492410/qid%3D1036063010/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-4977301-0621462

                > Blessed be the turtles for they carry the weight of
                > the world.

                > removed]

                HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
              • Chantal
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                  Boycotting is certainly a reasonable action that can be taken in a
                  free society, far more reasonable than censorship of any kind. It
                  would be ineffective in this case though, because Amazon is only one
                  bookseller. Chances are Borders and Barnes & Noble also carry this
                  book and you'd have to boycott them too. Then you'd have to boycott
                  its publisher, Heretic Books and any small booksellers who use the
                  same distributor. Where would you buy your books then?

                  I think it is best not to call attention to such books as these and
                  let them sink quietly into oblivion. Out of curiosity, how did you
                  come across it?

                  *-Chantal-*

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                    D M Lockhart <dmlnpg@...> wrote:

                    Where was this book being "promoted"?

                    I do not necesarily expect people to agree with me. But in my opinion amazon is promoting the book by offering it for sale at all. It is not for "awareness" of pedophilia. It promotes pedophilia as a way of life. It promotes relationships with children as "love" and not abuse.

                    Are you equally as outraged about "Germs: Biological
                    Weapons and America's Secret War" by Judith Miller,
                    Stephen Engelberg, and William Broad?

                    Not familiar with the book. However, if it promotes children being harmed, than i think it too should be not be sold on a national book sellers forum.

                    [http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0684871599/qid=1036089519/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-6113697-8888154%5d

                    Isn't it better to educate children and protect them
                    from stuff like this than to boycott a seller of
                    books?

                    Amazon is not the only place to buy books and as far as I concerned not a good place to buy books if they are supporting an organization that believes it is a lifestyle to molest children. There are plenty of other book sellers, like halfprice, that do not offer such books a forum.

                    I think boycotting Amazon only blocks good books from
                    being shared while effectively promotes negativity.

                    I personally am in support of promoting negativity against pedophilers.

                    Lois

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                      Actually, Amazon is the only major bookseller selling the book and has recieved numerous complaints, so I think boycotting will be effective in that case. Or I should say that I know that niether Borders nor Barnes and Nobles is selling the book. I think Heretic publications just publishes child pornography-or so I heard, have not checked it out myself-so I am already boycotting them without even knowing it. If it came down to it I would never buy another book. I would just rent from the library, I feel that strongly about not supporting pedophilia.
                      It was brought to my attention in a pagan parenting net group I am in. I did not believe it until I got the url and saw it for myself. After that I have done some searching and thought others might be interested.
                      Lois
                      Chantal <nft966mf26@...> wrote:Boycotting is certainly a reasonable action that can be taken in a
                      free society, far more reasonable than censorship of any kind. It
                      would be ineffective in this case though, because Amazon is only one
                      bookseller. Chances are Borders and Barnes & Noble also carry this
                      book and you'd have to boycott them too. Then you'd have to boycott
                      its publisher, Heretic Books and any small booksellers who use the
                      same distributor. Where would you buy your books then?

                      I think it is best not to call attention to such books as these and
                      let them sink quietly into oblivion. Out of curiosity, how did you
                      come across it?

                      *-Chantal-*

                      > It has come to my attention that Amazon is promoting and selling a
                      book which represents pedophilia as a life style. I know that the
                      authors of the book have freedom of speech but I also have the freedom
                      to boycott a book seller which in my opinion sells books that endanger
                      children. I do not know if anyone is interested, but I did want to
                      make concerned parties aware.

                      > Lois

                      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0854492410/qid%3D1036063010/sr%
                      3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-4977301-0621462

                      > Blessed be the turtles for they carry the weight of the world.

                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      Blessed be the turtles for they carry the weight of the world.

                    • cecilwashington
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                        You can order my two books directly from the publishers. This is what
                        I recommend. Amazon marks up the book after they get it from the
                        publisher anyway, so you'd be saving money.

                        If you want to order Badlands, you can go here:

                        http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/8194

                        or the tiny url version: http://tinyurl.com/2ctm

                        I'm all for freedom of speech, but come ON!

                        Anyway, I doubt that an Amazon boycott will happen. It really sucks
                        too, because I have really enjoyed the times I've gotten cheap used
                        books and cheap rare books from that service.

                        Now, I don't know. I don't.
                      • Laileana
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                          Thanx for letting me know where I can get them from the publishers. I do not expect others to necesarily be upset about it, but I appreciate your respect-by giving me alternative purchasing methods.
                          Lois
                          cecilwashington <cecilwashington@...> wrote:You can order my two books directly from the publishers. This is what

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                            Chantal's idea of boycotting the particular publisher is probably the
                            best course of action. If we know what organization puts out that
                            product, we can choose not to buy from them.

                            Amazon probably does not even know what's in that book. Someone pays,
                            they get space. If they read EVERY book they'd lose a lot of money in
                            wasted time and labor.
                          • Laileana
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                              They know. Friends of mine have written them letters. I will definetely boycott publishers, but I will also boycott Amazon. In my opinion, money is no excuse to sell a product that offers pedophilia as a lifestyle.
                              Lois
                              cecilwashington <cecilwashington@...> wrote:Chantal's idea of boycotting the particular publisher is probably the

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                                i would like to register a complaint with them--does anyone know how to go
                                about it?

                              • knockturnal_one

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 31, 2002
                                        Thanks, John. Saved for near future perusal.
                                        Good stories!