[SciFiNoir Lit] Re: Can You Write 50,000 Words in 30 Days

  • belsidus2000
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2004
      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Liggins Bill
      <bill_liggins@y...> wrote:

      > --- belsidus2000 <Frofidemus@n...> wrote:
      > > <Do you wait until you have completed a manuscript
      > > or do you edit as
      > > you go?>
      > >

      > I ramp up for my next session by reading the previous
      > days writing. I do some editing at this time watching
      > plot, theme, pacing, and voice. I'm more concerned
      > about the story than crossing the "t's" and dotting
      > the "i's."
      >
      > After my story's done (the glamor) I get into the fine
      > tuning (the drudgery). That's the part that goes on
      > until a publisher puts it to print.
      >
      > =====
      >
      > Bill Liggins
      >
      > Author of "WARNING," a Sci-Fi Novel
      >
      > http://www.authorsden.com/visit/author.asp?authorid=4905
      >
      > bill_liggins@y...
      >
      ><I usually write full bore ahead until I finish--then go back. It
      is a rare piece (and usually a very short one that I have thought
      about a long time or outlined very carefully) that does not need
      drastic overhauls when I am finished.

      Essays, newspaper columns, very short realistic fiction, business
      letters, stuff like this I can usually get in three drafts.

      Next hardest is detective/mystery and horror fiction--plotting is
      very important there and I must constantly ask my self why such and
      such happened and if it made sense along with dealing with the other
      little goodies--style, etc.

      Science fiction and poetry are the absolute hardest. Agony to do.
      Poetry can go through endless drafts and I can still be tinkering
      with it years later even after its been published. For science
      fiction I turn loose what I call my little Cybernerd who questions
      each and every word. It can be excruciating.

      Chris Hayden

    • Liggins Bill
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2004
        --- belsidus2000 <Frofidemus@...> wrote:
        > ><I usually write full bore ahead until I
        > finish--then go back. It
        > is a rare piece (and usually a very short one that I
        > have thought
        > about a long time or outlined very carefully) that
        > does not need
        > drastic overhauls when I am finished.
        >
        > Essays, newspaper columns, very short realistic
        > fiction, business
        > letters, stuff like this I can usually get in three
        > drafts.
        >
        > Next hardest is detective/mystery and horror
        > fiction--plotting is
        > very important there and I must constantly ask my
        > self why such and
        > such happened and if it made sense along with
        > dealing with the other
        > little goodies--style, etc.
        >
        > Science fiction and poetry are the absolute hardest.
        > Agony to do.
        > Poetry can go through endless drafts and I can still
        > be tinkering
        > with it years later even after its been published.
        > For science
        > fiction I turn loose what I call my little Cybernerd
        > who questions
        > each and every word. It can be excruciating.
        >
        > Chris Hayden

        Don't forget historicals and comedies.

        I had finished a historical novel recently, and even
        if it's never published I'm more proud of it than any
        of my other works.

        I'm too scared to do comedy. I had heard "death is
        easy . . . comedy's hard."

        =====

        http://search.yahoo.com