Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] new to group // Anubis Award

  • NojoJojo
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2003
      on 11/26/03 5:41 PM, brokenumbrellapress at brokenumbrellapress@...
      wrote:

      > (and if so, where did you read about it?) I'm trying to gauge the
      > best way to attract good writers.
      >
      > I've posted to a few other horror oriented groups this week, and
      > have gotten some helpful response. Any advice you want to
      > throw my way is appreciated! The complete info on the contest is
      > on my website.

      Hi, Jeff, and welcome to the group. Just a couple of suggestions...

      -There's a big stigma among wannabe-published and published writers against
      participating in contests that have fees, especially new contests without
      "established" backers. There have been many, many scams in the industry in
      which so-called new publishing companies appear and sponsor a prize contest,
      and essentially make off with the entry fees without ever giving anything
      back to the winner. There's really nothing to distinguish *your* contest
      from one of these scams, so that's probably a big deterrent.

      -Another issue is that your publishing company is brand new, without an
      established reputation. For those authors who care about such things, this
      means there's no incentive to participate in your contest, because it
      doesn't give them the kinds of "bragging rights" they can use to further
      their careers. Maybe you should spend awhile publishing and establishing
      yourself, *then* run this contest.

      Good luck in your endeavors, and hope this has been helpful.

      Nora
    • cecilwashington
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
        I wish I'd known about this sooner. You could have advertised on my
        website and in my magazine.