[SciFiNoir Lit] Re: Dhalgren revisited

  • belsidus2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
      Amy:

      Why (not to start argument, but to review the good points of the book)

      Chris Hayden

      -- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Harlib" <aharlib@e...>
      wrote:

      > aharlib@e...
      > I loved this book too!
      > Amy
      >

      > > I never loved and dreaded a book so much. Loved because of its
      > > skill, dreaded because it made me feel some emotions that I did
      not
      > > want to feel. In other words, I give Dharlgren an A+!!!!!!
      > >

      > > Community email addresses:
      > > Post message: SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subscribe: SciFiNoir_Lit-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Amy Harlib
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
        aharlib@...

        > Amy:
        >
        > Why (not to start argument, but to review the good points of the book)
        >
        > Chris Hayden
        I read it when it first came out which was nearly 30 years ago so my memory
        is vague but I loved the realistic characters, many, including the
        protagonist Kid, were of color in a strange decaying, urban setting that
        reminded me of my stomping grounds, NYC. The language was very poetic to me
        and the emotional content was affecting. I adore all of the SF & F Delany
        has written but I do not go near the porn - I just do not read porn.
        Cheers!
        Amy (the black out this past August was kind of like being in Dhalgren!)
      • belsidus2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
          Amy:

          I have never read any in depth discussion or analysis he or anyone
          else has written of the book--a "How I Wrote Dahlgren" would be
          interesting (in the manner of Ellison's "How I Wrote the Invisible
          Man" but all writers don't work that way--some don't want nobody
          getting too close to their mojo.

          I have always thought, especially after reading his autobiograpy,
          that Bellona the City in the book is supposed to be New York City
          during the period he was roaming it and that it, like "Aye and
          Gommarah" contains many of his true adventures.

          In the new edition of the book with the foreword by Gibson said
          writer writes that he had the same reactions you did.

          I am from St. Louis and the midwest so events of the tumultuous
          cities were muted, but a lot of the cribs The Kid visits did remind
          me of some hippie crashpads--hipness melted away in the dirt poverty
          and filth.

          Interesting. I did not know Delaney had done porn.