Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] Re: I think this may be going too far

  • Ronald Methvin
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 10, 2003
      Yahoo.com has reported that the girl's mom and the
      RIAA have setteled for $2,000.

      As an attorney, who does a lot of Intellectual
      Property work, I have to chime in and make a
      clarification. While borrowing the piece of plastic
      that songs, movies, etc, come on is permitted,
      downloading and/or making digital copies of songs that
      you do not already legally own (with very few
      exceptions) is unquestionably copyright infringment
      and illegal, regardless of whether or not the other
      person is a stranger.

      www.eff.org is good place to get more info on
      copyright laws.

      Ronald W. Methvin, Esq.
      www.DreamCon.net

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • SEBARNES@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Sep 12, 2003
        In a message dated 9/12/03 11:53:15 AM, cecilwashington@... writes:

        > Steve,
        >
        > I think you'd offer suggestions no matter what (LOL).  I don't think
        > you're the type of person who believes in keeping quiet.
        >
        > If you were the type who believed in keeping quiet, you'd probably
        > never be a successful writer.

        truedat. I love my audience, the SF field, the black reading community. I
        love you all enough to speak what seems to me to be the truth, trusting in
        your own intelligence to evaluate and throw out anything that really doesn't
        work. I feel so incredibly blessed in my life, and understand that it took an
        entire community of people to help me to a place where I literally love every
        aspect of my life. None of the things I say here are intended to make anyone
        wrong or show how freaking smart I am. It's more a sense that the world
        moves forward by every one of us sharing what we've learned along the way. To
        me, science fiction has been about the "what If", the "If only..." and the "If
        this goes on."

        I've simply chosen to apply these questins to my own life in a balanced
        matrix, and see what would happen. What Larry Niven called "a science fiction
        write4r's approach to fitness and success." I just say that my primary work of
        art is my own life, lived with grace, power, and contribution. and I like to
        share these thoughts, and hope no one in my audience will misinterpret my
        intent.

        Steve