Re: [SciFiNoir Lit] about sexuality in scifi

  • SEBARNES@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 7, 2003
      In a message dated 7/7/03 11:41:53 AM, njem@... writes:

      > In addition to Delany and Butler, there's also Jewelle Gomez
      > (Afro-Latina-American I think), who does stories with multiethnic lesbian
      > vampires, among other things.

      of course, part of the problem here is that every additional "marginalizing"
      factor can push a writer further out of the mainstream of SF, marginalizing
      them and making it more and more difficult to sustain a career. For a black
      writer to add alternative sexuality is to diminish the potential readership.
      Delany hasn't done SF in about 25 years. Octavia (I think) has a larger
      readership among Feminists and black women than in the SF field (although she is
      justifiably highly respected). Economics makes a difference. If you can't
      eat, you can't write.

      Steve

    • cecilwashington
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 7, 2003
        "Octavia (I think) has a larger readership among Feminists and black
        women than in the SF field (although she is justifiably highly
        respected)."

        I read a local article that pretty much said the same thing back in
        1999. Interestingly enough, I managed to turn a white feminist on to
        Butler after I told her how much I liked C.S. Lewis when I was a
        kid. She loves the Lilith's Brood trilogy. It was also a black
        feminist who told me about Butler. None of my geek buddies had ever
        heard of her.
      • Laileana
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 7, 2003
          I have found that sci fi has less sex than other genres-horror seems to have some fantastical love scenes, but I have also read quite abit of fantasy that has some sex scenes-or alot of sex scenes-Kushie trilogy. Personally I am an adult I think if the sex scene fits the story I have no problems with it being depicted.
          Lois

          SEBARNES@... wrote:

          In a message dated 7/7/03 6:47:37 AM, kobranaghast@... writes:

          > do you think that scifi is more realistic about sexuality than other
          > genres? more conservative? do you think it has any effect on the way people view
          > scifi/fantasy/specfic.? I know some scifi related genres, such as anime, get
          > alot of criticism for depictions of homosexuality and some people feel that
          > scifi presents "abnormal" sexualties too often.(I have a friend who refuses to
          > read SF for this reason). Does this criticism come from conservative culture?

          Certainly less sexual than mainstream. Don't know about mystery or
          westerns, though--seems to me that there's more sex and romance there, too. It would
          be reasonable to suggest that such complaints come from the more sexually
          conservative, yes.

          Steve

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com