Re: the left behind books

  • ravenadal
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
      --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Rae" <toniraeknight@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hey everyone...
      >
      > Have any of you read any of the books in the popular Left Behind
      > series? If so, I'm curious as to your opinions on it....
      >
      > I haven't read them, but I've read reviews and numerous articles,
      > and it just seems like a bunch of overhyped, paranoid, religious
      > propaganda to me...
      >

      > http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/>>

      The notions behind the "Left Behind" books fascinate me, but I haven't
      read any of them because IMHO they are barely literate, let alone
      literary. This subject manner does not have to handled this shabbily.
      In cinema, Michael Tolan's "The Rapture" is an intelligent and well
      conceived movie that accepts the last days and the rapture as biblical
      fact. Also, a friend of mine, a born-again Christian and a born-again
      virgin (darn it!),has written an excellant first novel about the same
      subject that is gripping, compelling and not, like the "Left Behind"
      series, an insult to the English language. Unfortunately, she hasn't
      published it, yet.

      ~rave!
      The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
      http://www.theworldebon.com
    • sistahgal2000
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
        I highly recommend the Left Behind series. I've only read the first
        book but I found it enthralling. I am not a Christian but I've always
        been intrigued by the book of Revelations. Well, the Left Behind
        series is entirely based on that book. It is so powerfully written
        that I was almost "scared" into becoming a Christian again (a tactic
        not uncommon for Southern Baptists ... hehehehe - I can say that, I
        grew up in the Black Baptist Church!). If you are a Christian, I'm
        certain this series will renew your faith. It's honestly one of the
        best books I've ever read. It's less religious propaganda and more
        like a realistic apocalyptic narrative - Octavia Butler couldn't have
        written a better story. Of course, the actual story is an ancient
        prediction of the end of the world but it is brilliantly modernized.

        My brother is a minister and seminary student so naturally I've
        discussed the series with him. The controversy around the series is
        that those who have forsaken Jesus (those "left behind") are given a
        second chance at redemption. They can either choose to side with the
        anti-christ, who is gaining world power, or stand against him on the
        side of Jesus. The book of Revelations doesn't really say anything
        about those "left behind" getting a second chance. This is purely
        intrepretation - therein lies the controversy.

        I believe there's an accompanying audio or video tape that you can
        purchase with the first book. It describes what those "left behind"
        have to do in a last chance to "enter the gates of heaven." The first
        book was also made into a feature-length movie starring Kirk Cameron.
        You should be able to find it in any video store.

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
          Hmpf.

          I liked the book. But I honestly did not pay much attention to the
          literary style in which it was written. I was preoccupied with the
          concepts of salvation and damnation. And I've always found "the
          rapture" to be one of the greatest horror stories ever written.

          The Bible can be such a playground for speculative fiction. As a
          child I remember reading "Many Waters" by Madeline L'Engle (author
          of "A Wrinkle in Time." "Many Waters" is set right before the great
          flood which destroyed the world save for what Noah salvaged on his
          arc. If I remember correctly, in the novel there are two sects of
          angels. Good angels and bad angels. These angels frequently
          cohabitate and copulate with human beings - I don't think any
          offspring were produced, though. Apparently, there is some evidence
          that this actually occured somewhere in the book of Genesis. I like
          the idea of human beings interacting with angels on a regular basis -
          although, I'm not sure what on heaven or earth they had in common!

          Very interesting Hebrew myth.

          --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@t...>
          wrote:
          > The notions behind the "Left Behind" books fascinate me, but I
          haven't
          > read any of them because IMHO they are barely literate, let alone
          > literary. This subject manner does not have to handled this
          shabbily.
          > In cinema, Michael Tolan's "The Rapture" is an intelligent and well
          > conceived movie that accepts the last days and the rapture as
          biblical
          > fact. Also, a friend of mine, a born-again Christian and a born-
          again
          > virgin (darn it!),has written an excellant first novel about the
          same
          > subject that is gripping, compelling and not, like the "Left Behind"
          > series, an insult to the English language. Unfortunately, she
          hasn't
          > published it, yet.
          >
          > ~rave!
          > The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
          > http://www.theworldebon.com
        • knockturnal_one
          Message 4 of 17 , May 1 7:13 PM
            I read 3 or 4 of them (it was a couple of years ago) along with one of my sisters, & we enjoyed them very much. Also, I saw the 2 Left Behind video. They didn't convey the story very well to me.

            sistahgal2000 <sistahgal2000@...> wrote:I highly recommend the Left Behind series. I've only read the first

            wrote:
            > Hey everyone...
            >
            > Have any of you read any of the books in the popular Left Behind
            > series? If so, I'm curious as to your opinions on it....
            >
            > I haven't read them, but I've read reviews and numerous articles,
            > and it just seems like a bunch of overhyped, paranoid, religious
            > propaganda to me...
            >

            > http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

          • ravenadal
            Message 5 of 17 , May 1 10:34 PM
              --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "sistahgal2000"
              <sistahgal2000@y...> wrote:
              The first
              > book was also made into a feature-length movie starring Kirk Cameron.
              > You should be able to find it in any video store.>>

              The only thing worse than the books is the video.

              ~rave!
              The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
              http://www.theworldebon.com
            • Omavi Victorine
              Message 6 of 17 , May 4 11:45 AM
                I have read about seven of the books and they are really intriguing and
                fun to read ....

                I have always liked books about the end of the world and things like
                that ... I would recommend it to anyone ...

                Omavi
                <http://www.chaoticdreams.net/> The E-zine:
                <http://www.chaoticdreams.net/> www.chaoticdreams.net
                The Man: <http://yusuf-chaotic.chaoticdreams.net/>
                http://yusuf-chaotic.chaoticdreams.net
                Check Out The New Message Board:
                <http://www.chaoticdreams.net/phpBB2/index.php>
                http://www.chaoticdreams.net/phpBB2/index.php ***

                Have any of you read any of the books in the popular Left Behind
                series? If so, I'm curious as to your opinions on it....

                I haven't read them, but I've read reviews and numerous articles,
                and it just seems like a bunch of overhyped, paranoid, religious
                propaganda to me...

                http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229633.3212141.4526654.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                020227:HM/A=1556779/R=0/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?ftd2+
                shopping:dmad/M=229633.3212141.4526654.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1705020227:
                HM/A=1556779/R=1/1051718946+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.ftd.c
                om/rmi-framed-url/http://www.ftd.com/yahoo36>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=229633.3212141.4526654.2595810/D=egrou
                pmail/S=:HM/A=1556779/rand=639984378>

                Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • ravenadal
                Message 7 of 17 , May 5 8:35 PM
                  --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Omavi Victorine"
                  <lyrical4ever@a...> wrote:
                  > I have read about seven of the books and they are really intriguing
                  and
                  > fun to read ....>>

                  There are eleven of them, which, I imagine, would put you about four
                  books behind.

                  > I have always liked books about the end of the world and things like
                  > that ... I would recommend it to anyone ...>>

                  I went to Amazon.com and read the first fifteen pages of the first
                  two books in the Left Behind series. I can say they are written in
                  simple, declarative sentences.

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 5 8:55 PM
                    <sistahgal2000@y...> wrote:>

                    I believe there's an accompanying audio or video tape that you can
                    > purchase with the first book. It describes what those "left behind"
                    > have to do in a last chance to "enter the gates of heaven." The
                    first book was also made into a feature-length movie starring Kirk
                    Cameron. > You should be able to find it in any video store.>>

                    http://www.timechangermovie.com

                    Speaking of Christian "straight to video," I had the,
                    well, "pleasure" would be too strong a word, opportunity to see "Time
                    Changer" last night:

                    "A Bible professor from 1890 comes forward in time to the present via
                    a time machine and cannot believe the things that he sees!"

                    This movie reminds me of christian songs that are just R&B songs with
                    the lyrics changed. To say this movie is derivative would be too
                    kind, but at least it bites from the best of the genre (H.G. Wells
                    novel,"Time Machine," and "Back to the Future," to name two).

                    Like the "Left Behind" movie, "Time Changer" stars has-been sit-com
                    stars -- in this case, Hal Linden (Barney Miller) and Gavin MacLeod
                    (Mary Tyler Moore Show and Love Boat).

                    For some odd reason the past portrayed in this movie seemed "realer"
                    than the "present time" the Bible professor travels to.
                    The "present" seems plastic and generic like a television sitcom set.
                    The story also becomes more heavy-handed and hackneyed after the prof
                    travels to the future. The first half of the movie actually rises to
                    the level of watchable.

                    One viewer listed at IMDB.com says it better than I can:

                    "It's rather obvious Hollywood is fairly liberal, but at least the
                    movies that show this bias are entertaining. "Time Changer" is
                    basically one long tirade against the values of today. It is, in some
                    ways, valid (churches should focus on the Bible and not on "fun"
                    activities designed to swell the ranks, our society HAS become too
                    obsessed with sex and violence), but, in some ways, it is incredibly
                    intolerant. Saying that Jesus Christ is the only source of truth is
                    like saying Buddha or Mohammed can only show correct morals; in this
                    modern era, that kind of attitude belongs in 1890.

                    This is a Christian movie for diehard Christians. The movie itself is
                    fairly slow, with long theology and philosophy along with heavy-
                    handed acting that sometimes borders on the laughable (Captain
                    Stubing!). Personally, I prefer theology from a pastor and
                    entertainment from a movie. Oh well."
                    The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
                    http://www.theworldebon.com
                  • Toni Rae Knight
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 6 11:50 AM
                      Okay...

                      Well, I finally had the opportunity to read a book
                      from the "Left Behind" series and I have to be
                      honest...it was very poorly written. So much so that I
                      didn't even want to finish it, but I did...just to
                      give the author the benefit of the doubt. It didn't
                      get better.

                      As an avid reader and a devoted writer, it always
                      bothers me when people jump on the bandwagon and turn
                      a mediocre or bad writer into a bestselling author
                      when there are so many truly talented authors out
                      there who will never get to make a decent living doing
                      what they love.

                      I think "end of the world" books are interesting as
                      well but I get annoyed by evangelists who's mentality
                      seems to be; since the world is coming to an end
                      anyway, and there�s nothing we can do about it we
                      should all focus on giving ourselves to God and forget
                      about working to improve the quality of our lives here
                      on earth or helping those in need.

                      http://search.yahoo.com
                    • onering992000
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 7 8:21 PM
                        Found an nice quote that sums up my feelings about the LEFT BEHIND
                        series. I too forced myself halfway through book two, before i gave
                        up.

                        Many books require no thought from those who read them, and for a
                        very simple reason; they made no such demand upon those who wrote
                        them.
                        Charles Caleb Colton (1780 - 1832), Lacon,

                        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Toni Rae Knight <
                        toniraeknight@y...> wrote:
                        > Okay...
                        >
                        > Well, I finally had the opportunity to read a book
                        > from the "Left Behind" series and I have to be
                        > honest...it was very poorly written. So much so that I
                        > didn't even want to finish it, but I did...just to
                        > give the author the benefit of the doubt. It didn't
                        > get better.
                        >
                        > As an avid reader and a devoted writer, it always
                        > bothers me when people jump on the bandwagon and turn
                        > a mediocre or bad writer into a bestselling author
                        > when there are so many truly talented authors out
                        > there who will never get to make a decent living doing
                        > what they love.
                        >
                        > I think "end of the world" books are interesting as
                        > well but I get annoyed by evangelists who's mentality
                        > seems to be; since the world is coming to an end
                        > anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it we
                        > should all focus on giving ourselves to God and forget
                        > about working to improve the quality of our lives here
                        > on earth or helping those in need.

                        > http://search.yahoo.com
                      • onering992000
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 7 8:38 PM
                          As per the Hebrew Myth, if I remeber correctly, they creatures you
                          refer to are the nephilim. In some commentaries, they are the
                          offspring of angels and mortal women, and thus a race of giants
                          destroyed in Noah's flood because of their evil ways and angelic
                          powers which made them selfish and bullying basically. In others,
                          they are a subset of angels. Older, and mystical sects still follow
                          the first interpretation, though discussion of classification of
                          angels is not longer common. Others believe the nephilim are
                          offspring of Lilith, the first wife of Adam whom he rejected, and she
                          coupled with demons(who were once angels) thus giving them those
                          types of powers. This explanation was used to link the older Greco-
                          Roman gods and goddesses to the larger Christian narrative, though
                          not a popular interpretation.

                          sistahgal2000@y...> wrote:
                          > Hmpf.
                          >
                          > I liked the book. But I honestly did not pay much attention to the
                          > literary style in which it was written. I was preoccupied with the
                          > concepts of salvation and damnation. And I've always found "the
                          > rapture" to be one of the greatest horror stories ever written.
                          >
                          > The Bible can be such a playground for speculative fiction. As a
                          > child I remember reading "Many Waters" by Madeline L'Engle (author
                          > of "A Wrinkle in Time." "Many Waters" is set right before the great
                          > flood which destroyed the world save for what Noah salvaged on his
                          > arc. If I remember correctly, in the novel there are two sects of
                          > angels. Good angels and bad angels. These angels frequently
                          > cohabitate and copulate with human beings - I don't think any
                          > offspring were produced, though. Apparently, there is some evidence
                          > that this actually occured somewhere in the book of Genesis. I like
                          > the idea of human beings interacting with angels on a regular basis
                          -
                          > although, I'm not sure what on heaven or earth they had in common!
                          >
                          > Very interesting Hebrew myth.
                          >

                          > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@t...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > The notions behind the "Left Behind" books fascinate me, but I
                          > haven't
                          > > read any of them because IMHO they are barely literate, let alone
                          > > literary. This subject manner does not have to handled this
                          > shabbily.
                          > > In cinema, Michael Tolan's "The Rapture" is an intelligent and
                          well
                          > > conceived movie that accepts the last days and the rapture as
                          > biblical
                          > > fact. Also, a friend of mine, a born-again Christian and a born-
                          > again
                          > > virgin (darn it!),has written an excellant first novel about the
                          > same
                          > > subject that is gripping, compelling and not, like the "Left
                          Behind"
                          > > series, an insult to the English language. Unfortunately, she
                          > hasn't
                          > > published it, yet.
                          > >
                          > > ~rave!

                          > > The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
                          > > http://www.theworldebon.com
                        • sistahgal2000
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 8 9:53 AM
                            Yawl are straight harsh!

                            It's funny that I don't have a stronger reaction to the The Left
                            Behind series being so vehemently against western religion. However,
                            at the time of reading the novel, I was still trying to reconcile
                            Christianity with Africentricity. And like I said previously, being
                            somewhat of a horror buff I've always appreciated the book of
                            Revelations as a great scare. This series was my first time reading a
                            novelization of the "Rapture" and I found it intriguing. It was
                            written in a sort of evangelized narration, which I guess most non-
                            Christians would find irritating. I'm not sure what my reaction would
                            be to it if I read it now. But - dawg - was it really that bad?!

                            --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "onering992000"
                            <kobranaghast@m...> wrote:
                            > Found an nice quote that sums up my feelings about the LEFT BEHIND
                            > series. I too forced myself halfway through book two, before i gave
                            > up.
                            >
                            > Many books require no thought from those who read them, and for a
                            > very simple reason; they made no such demand upon those who wrote
                            > them.
                            > Charles Caleb Colton (1780 - 1832), Lacon,
                            >

                            > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Toni Rae Knight <
                            > toniraeknight@y...> wrote:
                            > > Okay...
                            > >
                            > > Well, I finally had the opportunity to read a book
                            > > from the "Left Behind" series and I have to be
                            > > honest...it was very poorly written. So much so that I
                            > > didn't even want to finish it, but I did...just to
                            > > give the author the benefit of the doubt. It didn't
                            > > get better.
                            > >
                            > > As an avid reader and a devoted writer, it always
                            > > bothers me when people jump on the bandwagon and turn
                            > > a mediocre or bad writer into a bestselling author
                            > > when there are so many truly talented authors out
                            > > there who will never get to make a decent living doing
                            > > what they love.
                            > >
                            > > I think "end of the world" books are interesting as
                            > > well but I get annoyed by evangelists who's mentality
                            > > seems to be; since the world is coming to an end
                            > > anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it we
                            > > should all focus on giving ourselves to God and forget
                            > > about working to improve the quality of our lives here
                            > > on earth or helping those in need.

                            > > http://search.yahoo.com
                          • onering992000
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 8 4:29 PM
                              Sorry if I sounded too harsh! No offense meant. My sister loves the
                              books which is why she passed them on to me. To each his own.
                            • ravenadal
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 8 8:22 PM
                                <kobranaghast@m...> wrote:
                                > Sorry if I sounded too harsh! No offense meant. My sister loves the
                                > books which is why she passed them on to me. To each his own.>>

                                Eye ain't sorry! ;)