the left behind books

  • Toni Rae
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 29, 2003
      Hey everyone...

      Have any of you read any of the books in the popular Left Behind
      series? If so, I'm curious as to your opinions on it....

      I haven't read them, but I've read reviews and numerous articles,
      and it just seems like a bunch of overhyped, paranoid, religious
      propaganda to me...

      http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/
    • onering992000
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
        I have read book one, and part of book two. a relative gave them to
        me for Christmas. Unless, you are a member of a conservative
        christian denomination, i dont think it will mean much to you. i
        found the pacing to be really slow and because i dont really share
        these religious beliefs, i lost interest. to be fair, i dont think it
        is outwardly hostile to other people as some religious fiction is,
        so...not my thing, but hey.

        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Rae" <toniraeknight@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hey everyone...
        >
        > Have any of you read any of the books in the popular Left Behind
        > series? If so, I'm curious as to your opinions on it....
        >
        > I haven't read them, but I've read reviews and numerous articles,
        > and it just seems like a bunch of overhyped, paranoid, religious
        > propaganda to me...
        >

        > http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/
      • Laileana
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
          My younger sister really likes them. I am not a Christian but she is and I believe they center on the end of the world or some thing along thiose lines. I would not opposed to reading them but am not particularly interested in reading them eitherLois

          Toni Rae <toniraeknight@...> wrote:Hey everyone...

          Have any of you read any of the books in the popular Left Behind
          series? If so, I'm curious as to your opinions on it....

          I haven't read them, but I've read reviews and numerous articles,
          and it just seems like a bunch of overhyped, paranoid, religious
          propaganda to me...

          http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

        • ravenadal
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
            wrote:
            > Hey everyone...
            >
            > Have any of you read any of the books in the popular Left Behind
            > series? If so, I'm curious as to your opinions on it....
            >
            > I haven't read them, but I've read reviews and numerous articles,
            > and it just seems like a bunch of overhyped, paranoid, religious
            > propaganda to me...
            >

            > http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/>>

            The notions behind the "Left Behind" books fascinate me, but I haven't
            read any of them because IMHO they are barely literate, let alone
            literary. This subject manner does not have to handled this shabbily.
            In cinema, Michael Tolan's "The Rapture" is an intelligent and well
            conceived movie that accepts the last days and the rapture as biblical
            fact. Also, a friend of mine, a born-again Christian and a born-again
            virgin (darn it!),has written an excellant first novel about the same
            subject that is gripping, compelling and not, like the "Left Behind"
            series, an insult to the English language. Unfortunately, she hasn't
            published it, yet.

            ~rave!
            The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
            http://www.theworldebon.com
          • sistahgal2000
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
              I highly recommend the Left Behind series. I've only read the first
              book but I found it enthralling. I am not a Christian but I've always
              been intrigued by the book of Revelations. Well, the Left Behind
              series is entirely based on that book. It is so powerfully written
              that I was almost "scared" into becoming a Christian again (a tactic
              not uncommon for Southern Baptists ... hehehehe - I can say that, I
              grew up in the Black Baptist Church!). If you are a Christian, I'm
              certain this series will renew your faith. It's honestly one of the
              best books I've ever read. It's less religious propaganda and more
              like a realistic apocalyptic narrative - Octavia Butler couldn't have
              written a better story. Of course, the actual story is an ancient
              prediction of the end of the world but it is brilliantly modernized.

              My brother is a minister and seminary student so naturally I've
              discussed the series with him. The controversy around the series is
              that those who have forsaken Jesus (those "left behind") are given a
              second chance at redemption. They can either choose to side with the
              anti-christ, who is gaining world power, or stand against him on the
              side of Jesus. The book of Revelations doesn't really say anything
              about those "left behind" getting a second chance. This is purely
              intrepretation - therein lies the controversy.

              I believe there's an accompanying audio or video tape that you can
              purchase with the first book. It describes what those "left behind"
              have to do in a last chance to "enter the gates of heaven." The first
              book was also made into a feature-length movie starring Kirk Cameron.
              You should be able to find it in any video store.

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 30, 2003
                Hmpf.

                I liked the book. But I honestly did not pay much attention to the
                literary style in which it was written. I was preoccupied with the
                concepts of salvation and damnation. And I've always found "the
                rapture" to be one of the greatest horror stories ever written.

                The Bible can be such a playground for speculative fiction. As a
                child I remember reading "Many Waters" by Madeline L'Engle (author
                of "A Wrinkle in Time." "Many Waters" is set right before the great
                flood which destroyed the world save for what Noah salvaged on his
                arc. If I remember correctly, in the novel there are two sects of
                angels. Good angels and bad angels. These angels frequently
                cohabitate and copulate with human beings - I don't think any
                offspring were produced, though. Apparently, there is some evidence
                that this actually occured somewhere in the book of Genesis. I like
                the idea of human beings interacting with angels on a regular basis -
                although, I'm not sure what on heaven or earth they had in common!

                Very interesting Hebrew myth.

                --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@t...>
                wrote:
                > The notions behind the "Left Behind" books fascinate me, but I
                haven't
                > read any of them because IMHO they are barely literate, let alone
                > literary. This subject manner does not have to handled this
                shabbily.
                > In cinema, Michael Tolan's "The Rapture" is an intelligent and well
                > conceived movie that accepts the last days and the rapture as
                biblical
                > fact. Also, a friend of mine, a born-again Christian and a born-
                again
                > virgin (darn it!),has written an excellant first novel about the
                same
                > subject that is gripping, compelling and not, like the "Left Behind"
                > series, an insult to the English language. Unfortunately, she
                hasn't
                > published it, yet.
                >
                > ~rave!
                > The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
                > http://www.theworldebon.com
              • knockturnal_one
                Message 7 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                  I read 3 or 4 of them (it was a couple of years ago) along with one of my sisters, & we enjoyed them very much. Also, I saw the 2 Left Behind video. They didn't convey the story very well to me.

                  sistahgal2000 <sistahgal2000@...> wrote:I highly recommend the Left Behind series. I've only read the first

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 1, 2003
                    --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "sistahgal2000"
                    <sistahgal2000@y...> wrote:
                    The first
                    > book was also made into a feature-length movie starring Kirk Cameron.
                    > You should be able to find it in any video store.>>

                    The only thing worse than the books is the video.

                    ~rave!
                    The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
                    http://www.theworldebon.com
                  • Omavi Victorine
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 4, 2003
                      I have read about seven of the books and they are really intriguing and
                      fun to read ....

                      I have always liked books about the end of the world and things like
                      that ... I would recommend it to anyone ...

                      Omavi
                      <http://www.chaoticdreams.net/> The E-zine:
                      <http://www.chaoticdreams.net/> www.chaoticdreams.net
                      The Man: <http://yusuf-chaotic.chaoticdreams.net/>
                      http://yusuf-chaotic.chaoticdreams.net
                      Check Out The New Message Board:
                      <http://www.chaoticdreams.net/phpBB2/index.php>
                      http://www.chaoticdreams.net/phpBB2/index.php ***

                      Have any of you read any of the books in the popular Left Behind
                      series? If so, I'm curious as to your opinions on it....

                      I haven't read them, but I've read reviews and numerous articles,
                      and it just seems like a bunch of overhyped, paranoid, religious
                      propaganda to me...

                      http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2002/07/29/left_behind/

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=229633.3212141.4526654.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                      020227:HM/A=1556779/R=0/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?ftd2+
                      shopping:dmad/M=229633.3212141.4526654.2595810/D=egroupweb/S=1705020227:
                      HM/A=1556779/R=1/1051718946+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://www.ftd.c
                      om/rmi-framed-url/http://www.ftd.com/yahoo36>

                      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=229633.3212141.4526654.2595810/D=egrou
                      pmail/S=:HM/A=1556779/rand=639984378>

                      Subscribe Digest Mode: SciFiNoir_Lit-digest@yahoogroups.com

                      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    • ravenadal
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                        --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "Omavi Victorine"
                        <lyrical4ever@a...> wrote:
                        > I have read about seven of the books and they are really intriguing
                        and
                        > fun to read ....>>

                        There are eleven of them, which, I imagine, would put you about four
                        books behind.

                        > I have always liked books about the end of the world and things like
                        > that ... I would recommend it to anyone ...>>

                        I went to Amazon.com and read the first fifteen pages of the first
                        two books in the Left Behind series. I can say they are written in
                        simple, declarative sentences.

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 5, 2003
                          <sistahgal2000@y...> wrote:>

                          I believe there's an accompanying audio or video tape that you can
                          > purchase with the first book. It describes what those "left behind"
                          > have to do in a last chance to "enter the gates of heaven." The
                          first book was also made into a feature-length movie starring Kirk
                          Cameron. > You should be able to find it in any video store.>>

                          http://www.timechangermovie.com

                          Speaking of Christian "straight to video," I had the,
                          well, "pleasure" would be too strong a word, opportunity to see "Time
                          Changer" last night:

                          "A Bible professor from 1890 comes forward in time to the present via
                          a time machine and cannot believe the things that he sees!"

                          This movie reminds me of christian songs that are just R&B songs with
                          the lyrics changed. To say this movie is derivative would be too
                          kind, but at least it bites from the best of the genre (H.G. Wells
                          novel,"Time Machine," and "Back to the Future," to name two).

                          Like the "Left Behind" movie, "Time Changer" stars has-been sit-com
                          stars -- in this case, Hal Linden (Barney Miller) and Gavin MacLeod
                          (Mary Tyler Moore Show and Love Boat).

                          For some odd reason the past portrayed in this movie seemed "realer"
                          than the "present time" the Bible professor travels to.
                          The "present" seems plastic and generic like a television sitcom set.
                          The story also becomes more heavy-handed and hackneyed after the prof
                          travels to the future. The first half of the movie actually rises to
                          the level of watchable.

                          One viewer listed at IMDB.com says it better than I can:

                          "It's rather obvious Hollywood is fairly liberal, but at least the
                          movies that show this bias are entertaining. "Time Changer" is
                          basically one long tirade against the values of today. It is, in some
                          ways, valid (churches should focus on the Bible and not on "fun"
                          activities designed to swell the ranks, our society HAS become too
                          obsessed with sex and violence), but, in some ways, it is incredibly
                          intolerant. Saying that Jesus Christ is the only source of truth is
                          like saying Buddha or Mohammed can only show correct morals; in this
                          modern era, that kind of attitude belongs in 1890.

                          This is a Christian movie for diehard Christians. The movie itself is
                          fairly slow, with long theology and philosophy along with heavy-
                          handed acting that sometimes borders on the laughable (Captain
                          Stubing!). Personally, I prefer theology from a pastor and
                          entertainment from a movie. Oh well."
                          The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
                          http://www.theworldebon.com
                        • Toni Rae Knight
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 6, 2003
                            Okay...

                            Well, I finally had the opportunity to read a book
                            from the "Left Behind" series and I have to be
                            honest...it was very poorly written. So much so that I
                            didn't even want to finish it, but I did...just to
                            give the author the benefit of the doubt. It didn't
                            get better.

                            As an avid reader and a devoted writer, it always
                            bothers me when people jump on the bandwagon and turn
                            a mediocre or bad writer into a bestselling author
                            when there are so many truly talented authors out
                            there who will never get to make a decent living doing
                            what they love.

                            I think "end of the world" books are interesting as
                            well but I get annoyed by evangelists who's mentality
                            seems to be; since the world is coming to an end
                            anyway, and there�s nothing we can do about it we
                            should all focus on giving ourselves to God and forget
                            about working to improve the quality of our lives here
                            on earth or helping those in need.

                            http://search.yahoo.com
                          • onering992000
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 7, 2003
                              Found an nice quote that sums up my feelings about the LEFT BEHIND
                              series. I too forced myself halfway through book two, before i gave
                              up.

                              Many books require no thought from those who read them, and for a
                              very simple reason; they made no such demand upon those who wrote
                              them.
                              Charles Caleb Colton (1780 - 1832), Lacon,

                              --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Toni Rae Knight <
                              toniraeknight@y...> wrote:
                              > Okay...
                              >
                              > Well, I finally had the opportunity to read a book
                              > from the "Left Behind" series and I have to be
                              > honest...it was very poorly written. So much so that I
                              > didn't even want to finish it, but I did...just to
                              > give the author the benefit of the doubt. It didn't
                              > get better.
                              >
                              > As an avid reader and a devoted writer, it always
                              > bothers me when people jump on the bandwagon and turn
                              > a mediocre or bad writer into a bestselling author
                              > when there are so many truly talented authors out
                              > there who will never get to make a decent living doing
                              > what they love.
                              >
                              > I think "end of the world" books are interesting as
                              > well but I get annoyed by evangelists who's mentality
                              > seems to be; since the world is coming to an end
                              > anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it we
                              > should all focus on giving ourselves to God and forget
                              > about working to improve the quality of our lives here
                              > on earth or helping those in need.

                              > http://search.yahoo.com
                            • onering992000
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 7, 2003
                                As per the Hebrew Myth, if I remeber correctly, they creatures you
                                refer to are the nephilim. In some commentaries, they are the
                                offspring of angels and mortal women, and thus a race of giants
                                destroyed in Noah's flood because of their evil ways and angelic
                                powers which made them selfish and bullying basically. In others,
                                they are a subset of angels. Older, and mystical sects still follow
                                the first interpretation, though discussion of classification of
                                angels is not longer common. Others believe the nephilim are
                                offspring of Lilith, the first wife of Adam whom he rejected, and she
                                coupled with demons(who were once angels) thus giving them those
                                types of powers. This explanation was used to link the older Greco-
                                Roman gods and goddesses to the larger Christian narrative, though
                                not a popular interpretation.

                                sistahgal2000@y...> wrote:
                                > Hmpf.
                                >
                                > I liked the book. But I honestly did not pay much attention to the
                                > literary style in which it was written. I was preoccupied with the
                                > concepts of salvation and damnation. And I've always found "the
                                > rapture" to be one of the greatest horror stories ever written.
                                >
                                > The Bible can be such a playground for speculative fiction. As a
                                > child I remember reading "Many Waters" by Madeline L'Engle (author
                                > of "A Wrinkle in Time." "Many Waters" is set right before the great
                                > flood which destroyed the world save for what Noah salvaged on his
                                > arc. If I remember correctly, in the novel there are two sects of
                                > angels. Good angels and bad angels. These angels frequently
                                > cohabitate and copulate with human beings - I don't think any
                                > offspring were produced, though. Apparently, there is some evidence
                                > that this actually occured somewhere in the book of Genesis. I like
                                > the idea of human beings interacting with angels on a regular basis
                                -
                                > although, I'm not sure what on heaven or earth they had in common!
                                >
                                > Very interesting Hebrew myth.
                                >

                                > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "ravenadal" <ravenadal@t...>
                                > wrote:
                                > > The notions behind the "Left Behind" books fascinate me, but I
                                > haven't
                                > > read any of them because IMHO they are barely literate, let alone
                                > > literary. This subject manner does not have to handled this
                                > shabbily.
                                > > In cinema, Michael Tolan's "The Rapture" is an intelligent and
                                well
                                > > conceived movie that accepts the last days and the rapture as
                                > biblical
                                > > fact. Also, a friend of mine, a born-again Christian and a born-
                                > again
                                > > virgin (darn it!),has written an excellant first novel about the
                                > same
                                > > subject that is gripping, compelling and not, like the "Left
                                Behind"
                                > > series, an insult to the English language. Unfortunately, she
                                > hasn't
                                > > published it, yet.
                                > >
                                > > ~rave!

                                > > The Black Prince. The Black Church. A State of Mind.
                                > > http://www.theworldebon.com
                              • sistahgal2000
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 8, 2003
                                  Yawl are straight harsh!

                                  It's funny that I don't have a stronger reaction to the The Left
                                  Behind series being so vehemently against western religion. However,
                                  at the time of reading the novel, I was still trying to reconcile
                                  Christianity with Africentricity. And like I said previously, being
                                  somewhat of a horror buff I've always appreciated the book of
                                  Revelations as a great scare. This series was my first time reading a
                                  novelization of the "Rapture" and I found it intriguing. It was
                                  written in a sort of evangelized narration, which I guess most non-
                                  Christians would find irritating. I'm not sure what my reaction would
                                  be to it if I read it now. But - dawg - was it really that bad?!

                                  --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, "onering992000"
                                  <kobranaghast@m...> wrote:
                                  > Found an nice quote that sums up my feelings about the LEFT BEHIND
                                  > series. I too forced myself halfway through book two, before i gave
                                  > up.
                                  >
                                  > Many books require no thought from those who read them, and for a
                                  > very simple reason; they made no such demand upon those who wrote
                                  > them.
                                  > Charles Caleb Colton (1780 - 1832), Lacon,
                                  >

                                  > --- In SciFiNoir_Lit@yahoogroups.com, Toni Rae Knight <
                                  > toniraeknight@y...> wrote:
                                  > > Okay...
                                  > >
                                  > > Well, I finally had the opportunity to read a book
                                  > > from the "Left Behind" series and I have to be
                                  > > honest...it was very poorly written. So much so that I
                                  > > didn't even want to finish it, but I did...just to
                                  > > give the author the benefit of the doubt. It didn't
                                  > > get better.
                                  > >
                                  > > As an avid reader and a devoted writer, it always
                                  > > bothers me when people jump on the bandwagon and turn
                                  > > a mediocre or bad writer into a bestselling author
                                  > > when there are so many truly talented authors out
                                  > > there who will never get to make a decent living doing
                                  > > what they love.
                                  > >
                                  > > I think "end of the world" books are interesting as
                                  > > well but I get annoyed by evangelists who's mentality
                                  > > seems to be; since the world is coming to an end
                                  > > anyway, and there's nothing we can do about it we
                                  > > should all focus on giving ourselves to God and forget
                                  > > about working to improve the quality of our lives here
                                  > > on earth or helping those in need.

                                  > > http://search.yahoo.com
                                • onering992000
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 8, 2003
                                    Sorry if I sounded too harsh! No offense meant. My sister loves the
                                    books which is why she passed them on to me. To each his own.
                                  • ravenadal
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 8, 2003
                                      <kobranaghast@m...> wrote:
                                      > Sorry if I sounded too harsh! No offense meant. My sister loves the
                                      > books which is why she passed them on to me. To each his own.>>

                                      Eye ain't sorry! ;)