What happened to our virtual book parties??

  • tracey_minor <tdlists@comcast.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2003
      Hi everybody. I'm just checking in because when I first launched the
      group in October, I started a monthly book party initiative. Some of
      you kept with the schedule - reading and reviewing the books in the
      schedule. But most of us including myself did not. I think the
      problem is that many of us get busy and don't set aside the time to
      buy the books, must less read them before the scheduled discussion
      begins. I also think the economy has made people less free with
      their disposable income -what may be left of it.

      On my part, I owe you an apology of sorts. When I started the list
      in October I probably had no business doing so, but probably feared
      things were going to get busy and if I did not do it then, I never
      would. Since October, I launched a 3,000 page web site, wrote 4
      articles, got married, moved and redecorated, went on my honeymoon,
      played hostess to relatives from around the world during the
      holidays, and now I find myself plagued with morning sickness day and
      night - Yippee! I'm pregnant.

      While I am still happy about the development of the list,
      unfortunately, SciFiNoir Literature Virtual Book Parties and possibly
      Cecil Washington, author of Badland's and active member of both
      SciFiNoir groups have suffered as a result. (Sorry Cecil)

      Now that the problem has been addressed, I think we should look for
      solutions. The following are my thoughts on the subject:

      1. Review short stories that can be obtained for free online or with
      permission from the author. Obviously Cecil's story would be first.
      2. Recruit another moderator
      3. Review Books quarterly instead of monthly
      4. Start a book roll call to see what everyone is reading to
      generate conversations and interest in those books.

      What do you think? Any ideas of your own?

      Tracey deMorsella (Formerly Tracey L. Minor)
      E-mail: tdemorsella @...
      http://www.multiculturaladvantage.com