3553ScifiFiction Event Calendar from Carl Brandon Society

  • Tracey deMorsella (formerly Tracey Minor)
    Aug 1 6:10 AM
      From Nalo Hopkinson, nalo@...

      The Carl Brandon Society http://www.carlbrandon.org/
      is dedicated to addressing the representation of people of color in the
      fantastical genres such as science fiction, fantasy and horror. We aim to
      foster dialogue about issues of race, ethnicity and culture, raise awareness
      both inside and outside the fantastical fiction communities, promote
      inclusivity in publication/production, and celebrate the accomplishments of
      people of color in science fiction, fantasy and horror.

      The Steering Committee of the Carl Brandon Society has decided to try a
      monthly listing of events related to issues of people of colour in SF/F/H.
      I'm the list editor for now. I've put one together in a hurry for August,
      just as a pilot list. Let me know what you think. At the bottom of the list
      is a form that you can use to send me information about future events.

      Please feel free to forward the list on, but do not alter its content.

      CARL BRANDON SOCIETY LISTING OF EVENTS RELATED TO
      PEOPLE OF COLOUR IN SF/F/H
      AUGUST 2004
      (not intended to be a comprehensive list)

      In this month’s issue:

      1. Call for Papers: Multicultural Comics/Genre Film/Fiction, Fall 2005 issue
      of Extrapolation
      2. Conference: “A Commonwealth of Science Fiction”, Aug. 5-8
      3. Workshop: “Writing the Other: Bridging Cultural Differences for
      Successful Fiction”, Aug. 14
      4. Diversicon, Aug. 13-15
      5. 43rd Japan National Science Fiction Convention (G-Con), Aug. 21-22

      1. Call for Papers: Multicultural Comics/Genre Film/Fiction, Fall 2005 issue
      of Extrapolation

      DATE OF EVENT:
      Deadline: February 1, 2005.

      DESCRIPTION OF EVENT:

      http://fp.dl.kent.edu/extrap/

      The Fall 2005 issue of Extrapolation will be devoted to
      Multicultural Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror. We are interested in
      English language fiction, film, and comics, preferably work with both
      multicultural and genre content. Writers and other artists whose work we
      would like to see essays on include, but are not limited to, Steven Barnes,
      Octavia Butler, Ted Chiang, Brenda W. Clough, Samuel Delany, Tananarive Due,
      Owl Goingback, Nancy Farmer, Jewelle Gomez, Hiromi Goto, Virginia Hamilton,
      Los Hernandez Bros., Ernest Hogan, Nalo Hopkinson, Larissa Lai, Walter
      Mosley, Walter Dean Myers, Jamil Nasir, Greg Pak, Guillermo Gomez-Pena, R.
      Garcia y Robertson, William Sanders, Charles Saunders, S. P. Somtow (Somtow
      Sucharitkul), Craig Kee Strete, John Woo, William Wu, and Laurence Yep.

      All manuscript submissions, including explanatory notes and the list of
      Works Cited, should be double-spaced on one side of the sheet only. Neither
      embedded footnotes nor generated footnotes that some software systems make
      available should be used. Documentation should follow the MLA Style Manual
      with parenthetical citations in the text and a Works Cited list at the end.
      Only explanatory endnotes are needed.

      CONTACT PERSONS:
      Please send electronic submissions in Word to both the guest editor
      Michael Levy at levym@...
      and
      Extrapolation editor Javier A. Martinez at jmartinez@....

      Please contact the editors with specific questions.

      2. Conference: A Commonwealth of Science Fiction

      DATE OF EVENT:
      Thursday 5 to Sunday 8 August, 2004

      DESCRIPTION OF EVENT:
      http://homepages.enterprise.net/ambutler/acosf/acosftt.htm

      To consider the Commonwealth and the common weal: the Empire writing back,
      centres and margins, national histories of sf, national identity and science
      fiction, dialects and idiolects, hybrid identities, post-imperial
      melancholy, international and local markets, the 'Special Relationship', the
      Pacific Rim vs the North Atlantic, and discoveries and rediscoveries, from
      British Commonwealth countries.

      An Event Organised By The Science Fiction Foundation:
      http://www.sf-foundation.org/

      WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND:
      Anyone

      COST TO ATTEND:

      Full Fee £150/US$270
      Reduced Fee (for people earning less than £15,000 p.a.) £110/US$198

      The full fee includes tea and coffee breaks, lunch and evening meals but
      excludes Thursday evening food.

      LOCATION OF EVENT:
      Liverpool Foresight Centre
      Liverpool, U.K.
      http://www.foresightcentre.co.uk/

      REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
      Booking Form
      Please fill in the form here:
      http://homepages.enterprise.net/ambutler/acosf/booking.htm#booking and send
      UK £ cheques / US $ checks (payable to The Science Fiction Foundation) to:
      Farah Mendlesohn
      22 Addington Road
      Reading
      RG1 5PT
      UK
      Please enquire for rates in other currencies and to check if you qualify for
      the lower fee: farah3@...

      CONTACT PERSON:
      Dr. Farah Mendlesohn
      farah3@...

      ANY OTHER INFORMATION:
      Accommodation details:
      http://homepages.enterprise.net/ambutler/acosf/accom.htm#accom

      Getting to Liverpool:
      http://homepages.enterprise.net/ambutler/acosf/getting.htm#getting

      List of papers to be delivered:
      http://homepages.enterprise.net/ambutler/acosf/papers.htm#list

      Provisional programme:
      http://homepages.enterprise.net/ambutler/acosf/acosftt.htm#prog

      3. Workshop: Writing the Other: Bridging Cultural Differences for Successful
      Fiction

      DATE OF EVENT:
      Aug. 14, 2004, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.

      DESCRIPTION OF EVENT:
      Carl Brandon Society founding member Nisi Shawl announces the presentation
      of a three-hour session of “Writing the Other: Bridging Cultural Differences
      for Successful Fiction,” taught by her with the assistance of Victoria
      Garcia, in Los Angeles's EPIC Center on Saturday, Aug. 14, 1 to 4 p.m. The
      workshop is part of the 30th Anniversary Conference sponsored by The
      International Black Writers & Artists-Los Angeles (IBWALA).

      Writing the Other teaches participants how to write convincingly about
      characters of diverse races, religions, sexual orientations, physical
      abilities, and other culturally significant categories of difference. Both
      professional and beginning writers have benefited from the five previous
      sessions. Feedback from former students is available at
      http://www.writingtheother.com

      The workshop was developed with the help of writer and critic Cynthia Ward.

      COST TO ATTEND:
      Cost will be $75 for IBWALA members, $95 for all others.

      LOCATION OF EVENT:
      Los Angeles's EPIC Center
      Los Angeles, California
      USA

      REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
      To register, or for further information, go to
      <http://ibwala.org/conference.htm>.

      CONTACT PERSON:
      Name: Nisi Shawl
      Email: nisis@...

      4. Convention: Diversicon 12

      DATE OF EVENT:
      August 13 to 15, 2004

      DESCRIPTION OF EVENT:
      http://www.sfminnesota.com/diversicon/

      Diversicon is a project of SF MNNESOTA, a multicultural, multimedia
      organization dedicated to improving contacts among groups and individuals
      interested in speculative fiction, in and out of the tratditional SF
      community. Our continuing mission: to provide the most thoughtful
      Programming and the mellowest, most welcoming parties of any Minnesota SF
      convention.

      Guest of Honor: S.P. SOMTOW
      S.P. Somtow is the author of over 40 books of science fiction and horror,
      including Vampire Junction (1984), the Riverrun Trilogy , and Jasmine Nights
      (1994). Several of his books are published under the name Somtow Sucharitkul
      , including Starship and Haiku (1981). He is also a music composer and
      independent film director. Born in Thailand, he is related to the Thai royal
      family.
      Special Guest: Mark Rich
      Mark Rich's fiction, poetry, criticism, and artwork have appeared in Analog,
      Amazing, SF Age, Tales of the Unanticipated, Full Spectrum 4, Years Best SF
      11, New York Review of Science Fiction and elsewhere. He co-founded The
      Magazine of Speculative Poetry with Roger Dutcher. His many writings on toy
      history include the books 100 Greatest Baby Boomer Toys (2000) and Toys A to
      Z (2001). With partner Martha Borchardt, he writes music and performs in the
      bands Mad Melancholy Monkey Mind and Keg Salad. A self-described
      Japanese-Anglo-American, he lives in northeastern Wisconsin

      WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND:
      Anyone.

      COST TO ATTEND:
      At the Door:
      Adult $40, Child $35

      LOCATION OF EVENT:
      Days Inn -
      Airport-Mall of America
      1901 Killebrew Dr , Bloomington MN
      USA
      952-854-8400

      REGISTRATION INFORMATION:
      http://www.sfminnesota.com/diversicon/registration.html

      CONTACT:
      For further info write to:
      PO Box 8036, Lake Street Station Minneapolis, MN 55408
      Or call:
      Eric M. Heideman, 612-721-5959
      Or you can reach us via email at:
      info@...

      ANY OTHER INFORMATION (e.g. hotel reservation information):
      http://www.sfminnesota.com/diversicon/hotel.html

      The Days Inn is a charming hotel right across the street from the Mall, with
      its rich plethora of restaurants, movies, and diversions. 1901 Killebrew
      Dr., Bloomington MN. Rates $79 + 13 1?2%, 952-854-8400. Mention Diversicon
      when reserving a room.

      CARL BRANDON SOCIETY LISTING OF EVENTS RELATED TO
      PEOPLE OF COLOUR IN SF/F/H

      Please use this form to supply information about your events. Please
      forward to Nalo Hopkinson (nalo@...), at least one month before your
      event takes place.

      6. Convention: G-con 2004. 43rd Japan National Science Fiction Convention
      (thank you to the SF-Lovers website for this information:
      http://www.sflovers.org/Reference/fandom/conlist/cons2.html )

      DATE OF EVENT:
      August 21-22, 2004

      DESCRIPTION OF EVENT:
      http://www.gcon.fromc.jp/

      COST TO ATTEND:
      JPY 14,000 until 6/30/04; Preliminary: JPY 3,000.

      LOCATION OF EVENT:
      The Nagara River International Meeting Assembly Hall, Japan

      FOR MORE INFORMATION:
      Info: Info@...

      Have an event of which you’d like to inform us? Please use the form below.
      Events will be included in the list at the discretion of the list editor,
      Nalo Hopkinson (nalo@...). Here’s the form (and note that if you don’t
      use it, but instead send me a wodge of data to figure out, that makes more
      work for me than I can usually take on. As a result, I may not use your
      listing):

      CARL BRANDON SOCIETY LISTING OF EVENTS RELATED TO
      PEOPLE OF COLOUR IN SF/F/H

      Please use this form to supply information about your events. Please
      forward to Nalo Hopkinson (nalo@...), at least one month before your
      event takes place.

      TYPE OF EVENT:
      q Convention
      q Conference
      q Festival
      q Reading
      q Lecture
      q Panel
      q Workshop
      q Media (film, television or radio programme)
      q Other (describe)

      TITLE OF EVENT:

      DATE OF EVENT (including year):

      DESCRIPTION OF EVENT (including website url, if available):

      WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO ATTEND:

      COST TO ATTEND (if none, write “free”):

      LOCATION OF EVENT:
      Location name:

      Street Address:

      Suite or room number:

      City/Town:

      State/Province, etc.:

      Country:

      REGISTRATION INFORMATION:

      CONTACT PERSON:
      Name:

      Full address:

      Phone number:

      Email:

      Fax:

      ANY OTHER INFORMATION (e.g. hotel reservation information):

      Tracey deMorsella, Managing Producer
      Convergence Media, Inc.
      Home of The Multicultural Advantage
      Phone: 215-849-0946