Re: Futaba 6YG TX Parts???

  • heavyaslead
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
      Dan

      I would suggest getting a Skyport 4VF off Ebay. See just the
      transmitter with no crystal going for as low as 10 dollars. For that
      you can pull off one of the stick mechanisms and the trainer switch
      to fit your radio.

      Cheers
      Eric Scott

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
        Greetings Eric and All,

        Yeah, but, the thing that makes this a real kick in the gut is that the
        total cost for the parts that are needed to convert from a ratcheted
        joystick to a self-centering one is only $1.50!!!!

        >For the stick conversion you will need parts:
        >
        >ST-37
        >HSP50105 T 1M10A03401 ST-16 SPRING HOOK for $.30
        >HSP50120 T 1M10A04301 ST-36 SWING ARM for $.80
        >HSP60620 T J50060 SCREW + PMS 2X14 for $.15
        >HSP67360 T S90087 TRIGGER SPRING 3PG for $.25

        (This from Futaba Service Support. I have been informed that they
        prefer to work with authorized dealers.)

        My whole problem at this point is in locating a dealer/distributor who
        would be willing to order the parts for me. My local RC shop won't and
        neither will a couple of online ones I have tried. I guess the
        miniscule cost is not much of an incentive to them. To bad. It also
        means that I won't be making any other more costly business
        transactions with them either!!!

        Just starting to get a little frustrated with the whole silly business.

        Dan G

        --- heavyaslead <reed@...> wrote:
        > Dan
        >
        > I would suggest getting a Skyport 4VF off Ebay. See just the
        > transmitter with no crystal going for as low as 10 dollars. For that
        > you can pull off one of the stick mechanisms and the trainer switch
        > to fit your radio.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Eric Scott

        =====
        Dan

        Sci-Fi_Armor

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • WhiteWolf
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 16, 2004
          --- Grauwolf <grauwulf@y...> wrote:
          > Greetings Eric and All,
          >
          > Yeah, but, the thing that makes this a
          > real kick in the gut is that the total
          > cost for the parts that are needed to
          > convert from a ratcheted joystick to a
          > self-centering one is only $1.50!!!!

          Dan:

          I know someone in Montreal where Udisco is
          (Futaba's Canadian servicer) and I'll ask
          if he can get these parts.

          I personally want 'em too, so I'll ask how
          many sets he can get if bulk is cheaper.

          Wait... only two of those parts are needed
          for the 4VF... the arm and the spring. I've
          swapped my ratchet from one side to the
          other, but I can double-check.

          Option #2: find ~older~ radios that used those,
          and get 'em on eBay as 'sold as is' and then
          you can sell sets. I'll be pulling as many sets
          as I can before selling my AM's if the parts are
          compatible.

          Other option is finding a place to find the
          spring, and make the arm yourself.

          WhiteWolf

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 19, 2004
            Greetings WW and All,

            >I know someone in Montreal where Udisco is
            (Futaba's Canadian servicer) and I'll ask
            if he can get these parts.<

            Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

            >Wait... only two of those parts are needed
            for the 4VF... the arm and the spring. I've
            swapped my ratchet from one side to the
            other, but I can double-check.<

            On my 6YG, I am pretty sure I will need the spring hook and screw as
            well in order to be able to adjust the arm tension. If I find the
            parts, I might as well get them all. It would only lend an overly
            frustratingly simple conversion project some illusion normalcy. When I
            started looking for these parts I never imagined it could possibly turn
            into (to use one of my old favorite "Military Issue Terms") such a
            FUBAR.

            > I'll be pulling as many sets
            as I can before selling my AM's if the parts are
            compatible.<

            If they are, you have got yourself a gold mine!

            Of course I could circumvent all of this if I could just figure out how
            to wire-up two servos from the RX so that I can use only one joystick
            to control both "tracks". Any ideas????

            Dan G

            =====

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 20, 2004
              --- Grauwolf <grauwulf@y...> wrote:

              > Of course I could circumvent all of this if I
              > could just figure out how to wire-up two servos
              > from the RX so that I can use only one joystick
              > to control both "tracks". Any ideas????

              Dan:

              Ok, this may or may not work as I think, but you'd
              have to ask one of the fliers to see if I'm right.

              An aircraft mixer board is supposed to take two
              channel inputs, and depending on the inputs, put
              out a 'mix' of the two channels to two outputs.
              (the battle-bot robotics guys may know how too)

              This is how Tamiya's DMD controls their RC tank
              throttles: one stick is throttle, the other is
              the throttle 'mixer' which becomes the steering
              by varying the 'power' to the gearbox motors.

              Now that still uses two channels, and you still
              have the rachet problem, but it affects ~both~
              throttles together if the steering stick is
              center spring-loaded.

              There is a way to do something with a one servo
              and mechanical controls, but most won't use the
              old wiper/resistors any more.

              Option #1: put the ratchet-crap on another stick
              control function? This assumes you'd be using
              the up/down motions as 'twin-throttles'. Put
              the ratchet on one of the left-right motions?

              Option #2: Pull one of the arms & tension blocks,
              and replicate it with metal or plexiglas, and
              then find a micro-spring match. Thought of doing
              this myself, aint had a chance to try...

              Option #3: Buy a buddy box, & cannibalize it for
              the parts? For about $10 (off eBay) you could
              get 3 sets out of it, then at $5 a pop for the 2
              other sets, you could make back your money. You
              might even be able to sell the rest for $ too!

              Bonus option: Buy a buddy box, use one set, then
              have a machinist or casting friend dupe the parts,
              and the only snag is the spring (again)

              Spring solve: dental braces micro-elastics...
              (found in drug stores, or free from orthodontist)

              Bonus #2: Buy the box, pull a springload, put your
              ratchet in it, and dump it again ( or keep it for
              the buddy-driving demo's with the kids - is why
              I bought a buddy-box!)

              Wierdest yet: Find someone who wants the ratchet
              part set, and trade 'em for their springload parts.

              WhiteWolf (in brainstorming mode...)
            • heavyaslead
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 24, 2004
                A programmable (PCM) type radio can mix on the front end
                (transmitter) such that motors can be controlled proportionally by
                two servos with one stick.

                But the short way about it is... you will need some kind of mixing
                capability to accomplish your goal.

                Trying a mechanical means, rather than electronic, is a step
                backwards and leads to potentially more maintenance issues.

                Cheers
                Eric Scott

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 24, 2004
                  --- "heavyaslead" <reed@g...> wrote:
                  > A programmable (PCM) type radio can mix on the front end
                  > (transmitter) such that motors can be controlled proportionally by
                  > two servos with one stick.

                  Problem there is PCM aint 100% compatible.
                  Case in point: the new 56020 Leopard can't
                  be used with a PCM radio. Says so right on
                  the box.

                  > But the short way about it is... you will
                  > need some kind of mixing capability to
                  > accomplish your goal.

                  Isn't that what I said? A mixer-board.

                  I may have posted it for Grau in one of the
                  other RC groups.
                • heavyaslead
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 25, 2004
                    Yeah, saw the 56020 note as well, stupid. Seems that Tamiya would
                    have the forthought to design for the digital age!

                    Apparently the Tamiya electronics require a "dumb" controller for the
                    new leopard.

                    Cheers
                    Eric Scott

                    --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, "WhiteWolf"

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 27, 2004
                      Greetings WW and All,

                      I will have to go check out one of those aircraft mixer boards and see
                      if they'll fit into my minuscule hobby allotment budget.

                      >There is a way to do something with a one servo
                      and mechanical controls, but most won't use the
                      old wiper/resistors any more.<

                      Funny you should mention those. The old (ancient? Stone-age? --LOL) Cox
                      Bandit that got me restarted in playing with this stuff used one of
                      those. It never seemed to give much control over the speed, just
                      forward/reverse action. However, (What with all the "fun" I've been
                      having trying to find parts.) it did get me thinking about trying to
                      use a rotating resistor type switch for the speed control. The drawback
                      is that it would then require three servos and channels to control the
                      speed and direction on two tracks. So if you've got the plans for those
                      old "One servo and mechanical controls" this old dinosaur just might be
                      interested!

                      Your "Brainstorming Mode" works for me!

                      It looks like I will just have to go hunting on e-bay for my parts. (I
                      hate that place. Personal, we won't go there. --LOL) Silly me, to think
                      that I could just BUY the simple parts that I needed from an
                      "authorized dealer" rather than getting stuck in their pass-the-sucker
                      games. Should have know better at my age. They sure could have saved me
                      a lot of time and grief if all they would have said was, "I am sorry,
                      but the parts that you requested are unavailable for sale to the
                      general public." I guess they figured that it was more fun for them by
                      doing it their way.

                      Dan (Not a happy Futaba customer.) G

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 27, 2004
                        Greetings Eric and All,

                        >Trying a mechanical means, rather than electronic, is a step
                        backwards and leads to potentially more maintenance issues.<

                        Actually, since all of my stuff is pretty much experimental at this
                        point the only real issues that I have revolve around a very tight
                        budget. So believe me, if you have got some "backward" purely
                        mechanical suggestions to problem solving I am always more than happy
                        to give them a listen. I guess that I am just a bit more comfortable
                        with the mechanical over the electrical. However, I am more than aware
                        of the many benefits derived from replacing mech with electronic so I
                        welcome ALL the input that I can get!!!

                        Dan G

                        =====