G Harry Stine's "Warbots"

  • WhiteWolf
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2004
      Anyone read it?

      I've got what I think is a near-full set, but
      I stupidly loaned out #1, and missed one of
      the others. #1 is the Zahedan beginning, and
      the other is #9.

      The thing about Stine (died back in '96) was
      he saw the use of aerodynes (think that 60's
      'flying saucer') replacing most aircraft and
      choppers, and replacing men on the battlefield
      with tele-controlled robots.

      The series premise is that they find out its
      not all its cracked up to be when they are
      'swarmed' human-wave style in the Middle East.
      They begin a new program of 'Sierra Charlies',
      men & women that go back onto the battlefields
      with semi-intelligent voice-controlled bots,
      basically acting as the officers to their
      robotic 'grunts'.

      I highly recommend the series...

      He also saw submarine carriers, that only
      surfaced to launch the 'dynes from the deck
      hatches, and submarine landing craft that
      crawled up onto the beach.

      Anyone that browses used stores, please watch
      for issues #1 and #9 for me please? I'll cover
      prices and shipping, hate incomplete series!

      WhiteWolf
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2004
        Greetings WW and All,

        Been awhile. How are your projects going? I've been hung up obsessing
        over trying to reinvent the wheel (still hunting pedrail parts) and
        reinventing the paintball cannon (there has simply got to be a way of
        making those darn things smaller! --LOL).

        Can fully understand the need to maintain a complete series of good
        books. Since I've never noticed these, and you now have me intrigued, I
        will certainly be on the look out.

        >He also saw submarine carriers, that only
        surfaced to launch the 'dynes from the deck
        hatches,... <

        I could be wrong, but I thought that the Germans had messed around with
        these ideas back in WWI and/or II. (Curse that, "Nothing New Under The
        Sun." thing anyway! --LOL)

        http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/