Re: [Sci-Fi_Armor] Re: New Photo ????

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 1, 2007
      Greetings All,

      Yeah, I didn't think that I would be able to slip one by any of you old
      space dogs. --LOL

      I think that just about anyone who has ever saw any of the old DS-9
      series saw and REMEMBERS that particular vessel. She was certainly a
      beautiful prime example of the one of the alternative possibilities for
      star/space travel. One that really does exist and not only in SF but
      within our own reality as well. She was certainly a major and
      refreshing change from the usual fare of Star Trek ship designs.

      Me, I fell in love with the idea of actually SAILING trough space many
      ages ago. I have always thought that it was a shame that so many story
      writers are so stuck on Warp/Star/Jump/Fusion/???? Whatever Drives in
      order to move their ships/stories from point A to point B. I think that
      they have greatly overlooked an elegant and eye-dazzling alternative to
      the now commonplace flash-bang-zoom that every starship to hit the
      screen just HAS TO HAVE. --- Too bad. The Star Sailing method alone
      could make for a whole string of very interesting alternative
      storylines.

      What do you all think??? --- Flash-Bang or Smooth Elegance???

      SCI-FI ARMOR
      --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.

      http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
    • david schnyer
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 1, 2007
        i think the story problem with "lightjammers" is
        that they're slow, getting from "A" to "B" can
        take years, if not centuries, so the ship/voyage
        becomes the story. something like that t.v. show
        some years back featuring a couple of long haul
        truckers. there was very little "road time" on
        screen, the stories centered on what the main
        characters did when they stopped somewhere. that
        made sense, speaking from personal experience
        there's not much to make stories about while
        enroute unless something goes sideways and i'd
        imagine it would be pretty much the same on a
        voyage that took a hundred years or more. so on a
        "generation ship" the stories would have to come
        from interactions within the crew and passengers,
        on a "sleeper ship" there would be no stories.
        another maybe better analogy would be the
        pre-steam era windjammer voyages, there too the
        daily details of working the ship get old
        quickly, the stories are storm, battles, mutiny,
        shipwreck etc.
        "gunner"

        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 3, 2007
          Greetings Gunner and All,

          Of course you made some Great Points, but (naturally) I see alternative
          arguments.

          > i think the story problem with "lightjammers" is
          that they're slow, getting from "A" to "B" can
          take years, <

          Not necessarily true. As demonstrated in that DS-9 show were they
          caught a ride at better than light speed by riding the Tachyon Eddies.
          Solar winds are not the only source of sail power available. How fast
          are the Ether winds, currents, eddies and vortexes??? Just as with
          those Flash-Bangers you can claim to be using any form of Sci-Fi
          fantasy means of propulsion. --- We can even augment those sails by
          projecting various forms of energy streams and bursts into the sails
          from projectors aboard ship.

          > there's not much to make stories about while
          enroute unless something goes sideways <

          Ah, but it is NOT about the Destination, but the Journey itself! ---
          Yeah, that answer never worked with the kid's traditional --- "Are we
          THERE yet???" --- either. --LOL

          > another maybe better analogy would be the
          pre-steam era windjammer voyages, there too the
          daily details of working the ship get old
          quickly, the stories are storm, battles, mutiny,
          shipwreck etc. <

          No matter how fast any of those Flash-Banger starships travel, in
          reality you would still get PLENTY of Doldrums. When was the last time
          that you saw ANYBODY doing routine ship's maintenance on any movie, TV
          show or in any book??? (And I don’t mean taking two seconds to shine
          some little flashy thingy at some other flashy thingy. I'm talking
          scrubbing heads. Repairing hot manifolds. Scouring the refuse disposal
          units. Vermin hunting and eradication. Even just polishing the brass
          work. Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,….) Even those Flash-Bangers require
          daily upkeep. (Surely all of those Redshirt Guys are not only there for
          Monster Bait!!! --LOL) Unless their between Bangs are necessary for
          soap opera (character) development you usually see nothing of the dull
          times no matter how "fast" the writers want you to think their ships
          are. So Yeah, Storms, Battles, Mutiny, Shipwrecks, --- I'll add my
          favorites Alien Contacts (both friendly and not), Space Pirates, Bugs,
          --- and let us not leave out that most feared of all space encounters
          --- The Subspace Anomaly!!!! --- are still the standard fare.

          STARGATE was the only folks who found a way around the Between Bangs
          Doldrums --- but even they went and built Flash-Bang starships. I guess
          everybody at some point needs that soap opera/character building
          between Bangs down time.

          I still think Star Sailing could be a darn interesting alternative to
          all of the --- More Of The Same Old Thing --- found in all of those
          current Flash-Bang space shows.

          BTW --- Just some interesting items regarding the Realities of Space
          Sailing ---

          Wiki -- Solar Sail
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

          Wiki -- Magnetic Sail
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_sail

          Wiki -- Mini- magnetosphere Plasma Propulsion
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-magnetospheric_plasma_propulsion

          Wiki -- Laser Propulsion
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_propulsion

          Wiki -- Stellar Wind
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_wind

          Wiki -- Solar Wind
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_wind

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 3, 2007
            "Of course you made some Great Points, but
            (naturally) I see alternative arguments."
            -------------------
            of course you do, that's part of "keeping it
            fun", thanks for the links, i'll be interested in
            reading them. just now, prompted by your links
            i'm reviewing in my mind just how many forms of
            "ftl drives" i've seen in sci-fi over the years.
            one that pops up is a. bertram chandler's
            "mannschenn drive", a "time twister" that used a
            rotating mobius coil whose side effects produced
            some interesting stories, see chandler's
            "rimworlds" series...

            "... out on the Galactic Rim things are very iffy
            and if you fart really hard you're liable to blow
            yourself on to an Alternate Time Track."
            (a.bertram chandler)

            "gunner"

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Bertram_Chandler

          • david schnyer
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 3, 2007
              "STARGATE was the only folks who found a way
              around the Between Bangs Doldrums --- but even
              they went and built Flash-Bang starships. I guess
              everybody at some point needs that soap
              opera/character building between Bangs down
              time."
              -----------------
              they were first on t.v. but the "gates" either to
              the stars or alternate universes have been around
              for quite a while in sci-fi and fantasy. c.s.
              lewis used one in his "narnia" story, "the lion,
              the witch and the wardrobe", andre norton used
              them in her "witchworld" series and there were
              many others. it's a handy way to get around all
              that weary travelling. what was the name of that
              t.v. show some years ago that featured a group of
              people lost in a series of alternate worlds via a
              "gate" trying to find their way home? the series
              got dropped after a few seasons but it had real
              possibilities. so "stargate" wasn't the first
              after all, and didn't they do at least one
              "alternate universe" story too?
              "gunner"

            • WhiteWolf McBride
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 3, 2007
                --- david schnyer <gunnera4@...> wrote:

                > "STARGATE was the only folks who found a way
                > around the Between Bangs Doldrums --- but even
                > they went and built Flash-Bang starships. I guess
                > everybody at some point needs that soap
                > opera/character building between Bangs down
                > time."
                > -----------------
                > they were first on t.v. but the "gates" either to
                > the stars or alternate universes have been around
                > for quite a while in sci-fi and fantasy.

                > what was the name of that t.v. show some years ago
                > that featured a group of people lost in a series
                > of alternate worlds via a "gate" trying to find
                > their way home? the series got dropped after a few
                > seasons but it had real possibilities.

                > "gunner"

                "Sliders", who's classic enemy was the 'Kromagss', from an
                alternate-Earth dimension where Cromagnon man evolved, and
                Neanderthal man was enslaved:

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliders

                The Wiki also references a pilot called "Doorways"
                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106752/
              • david schnyer
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 3, 2007
                  that's the one i was thinking of, thanks
                  whitewolf.
                  "gunner"

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 8, 2007
                    Greetings Gunner and All,

                    > "... out on the Galactic Rim things are very iffy
                    and if you fart really hard you're liable to blow
                    yourself on to an Alternate Time Track."
                    (a.bertram chandler) <

                    I LOVE that quote!!!!

                    Thanks for the Head Thumper! --- I had somehow forgotten all about AB
                    Chandler's stories. Unfortunately I have only read a handful of his
                    books. Not sure why --- just got lost in the shuffle I guess. Now I
                    have yet another writer's stories to hunt down and read. THANKS!!! ---
                    I have added him to our ever growing Links section under The Writers.

                    (BTW --- You guys could really help me out here by adding some of your
                    own favorites you know!!!)

                    His Wiki mentions a rather interesting ship --- a Gaussjammer --- but
                    not much details. I don't recall it in any of his stories that I read
                    way back when. Any ideas regarding sources for images, drawings,
                    descriptions, etc???? The name makes it almost sounds like that
                    Magnetic Sail idea. Yet another writer ahead of his time???
                    ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_sail )

                    > they were first on t.v. but the "gates" either to
                    the stars or alternate universes have been around
                    for quite a while in sci-fi and fantasy. <

                    Of course you are more than right. --- If I only had a dime for every
                    Pan-Dimensional Doorway that has been "opened" by some Fantasy writer
                    over the eons!!! --- We could even include Alice's little adventures in
                    Wonderland if we liked. However, (and hopefully someone will help me
                    out here if I'm wrong) but it seems to me that STARGATE was among the
                    first to make use of them in a purely Military Sci-Fi setting. At least
                    I can not recall off the top of my head any others. I am not sure if
                    Aliens running through them in order to conquer Earth (aka - OUTER
                    LIMITS, etc.) really matches our discussion or not, but --- What the
                    heck. --- I'm open. ---- Any Thoughts????

                    > just now, prompted by your links
                    i'm reviewing in my mind just how many forms of
                    "ftl drives" i've seen in sci-fi over the years. <

                    Yeah, I tried to do that too but wound up with one heck of a headache!
                    --LOL I took the Easy Button and did a Wiki hunt. Thought that you
                    might find this listing about as interesting as I did!

                    Wiki -- Spacecraft Propulsion
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Spacecraft_propulsion

                    --- Funny thing though. Maybe I just missed it, but I don't recall
                    seeing anything about STEAM Powered space flight. Whats up with
                    that???? --- (And --- yeah --- I'm not kidding -- they really are
                    looking at Steam Propulsion for spacecraft!!!)

                    http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 8, 2007
                      Greetings All,

                      I just got the news that the BBC AMERICA channel will finally start
                      running TORCHWOOD tonight!!! (Saturday - Sept 8 9:00 PM EASTERN) So
                      check your local listings. This show might just be even better than the
                      NEW DOCTOR WHO that gave it birth. Either way, it sure looks to be a
                      good deal of FUN!

                      BBC AMERICA
                      http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/262/index.jsp

                      Wiki -- TORCHWOOD
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchwood

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 8, 2007
                        Greetings All,

                        Especially all of you GODZILLA type fans!!! --- My son told me about
                        this flick the other day. I have yet to catch a trailer (Dial-Up Hell
                        so forget the online!) but it sure sounds like a whole lot of
                        Monstrously Good FUN! --- Dragons vs. Tanks whats not to love??? --LOL

                        IMDb D-WAR
                        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372873/

                        Moviefone DRAGON WARS (D-WAR)
                        http://movies.aol.com/movie/dragon-wars-d-war/30592/main?sem=1&ncid=AOLMOV00170000000009

                        Anybody here seen anything about this Flick???

                        SCI-FI ARMOR
                        --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.

                        http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
                      • david schnyer
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 8, 2007
                          "His Wiki mentions a rather interesting ship ---
                          a Gaussjammer --- but not much details. I don't
                          recall it in any of his stories that I read
                          way back when."
                          -----------------
                          as i remember the "gaussjammer" was considered in
                          chandler's universe as obsolete, having been
                          superseded by the mannschenn moebius coil drive,
                          the "time twister", so the gaussjammers didn't
                          figure in the stories except as "relics".
                          "gunner"

                          Need a vacation? Get great deals
                          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                          http://travel.yahoo.com/
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 8, 2007
                            Greetings Gunner, WW and All,

                            > > what was the name of that t.v. show some years ago
                            > that featured a group of people lost in a series
                            > of alternate worlds via a "gate" trying to find
                            > their way home? the series got dropped after a few
                            > seasons but it had real possibilities.

                            > "gunner"

                            > "Sliders", who's classic enemy was the 'Kromagss', from an
                            alternate-Earth dimension where Cromagnon man evolved, and
                            Neanderthal man was enslaved: <

                            Dig back a little bit further and you might find the old TV show that
                            in all likelihood inspired the writers of SLIDERS. ----- Anybody
                            remember those lost travelers from THE TIME TUNNEL??? --- Every week
                            they were jumped from one harrowing historical disaster to the next. I
                            don't recall if they ever made it back home. -- Scarier yet! -- They
                            keep making attempts to bring the thing BACK! --LOL

                            Wiki -- The TIME TUNNEL
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 8, 2007
                              Greetings Gunner and All,

                              > so the gaussjammers didn't
                              > figure in the stories except as "relics".
                              > "gunner"

                              But I LIKE "Relics"!!!

                              One website dedicated to him has a few computer generated images ---
                              But sadly --- No Gaussjammers.

                              So were they Spaceships or sea going Surfaceships??? From the tidbits
                              it is hard to be sure. Any ideas???

                              SCI-FI ARMOR
                              --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.

                              that gives answers, not web links.
                            • david schnyer
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 8, 2007
                                "So were they Spaceships or sea going
                                Surfaceships? ?? From the tidbits
                                it is hard to be sure. Any ideas???"
                                ---------------------
                                the gaussjammers were spaceships but slow, think
                                in terms of the 18th and early 19th century
                                sailing ships, before the "clipper ships" like
                                the "cutty sark" and then the later steam ships
                                that ended the "age of sail" for most commercial
                                use. though sailing schooners did persist in the
                                coastwise trade to the end of the 19th century,
                                and were revived briefly in the first world war
                                when ships were in short supply. the gaussjammers
                                had a bad habit of going missing and that too led
                                to their being replaced by mannschenn drive ships
                                which have their own hazards were still
                                considered safer than the gaussjammers. i believe
                                the gaussjammers may have used a form of
                                "magnetic flux" drive rather than magnetic sails
                                but my memory isn't too clear on that point, and
                                captain grimes is no longer with us to clarify
                                the question.
                                "gunner"

                              • WhiteWolf McBride
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 9, 2007
                                  --- Grauwolf <grauwulf@...> wrote:

                                  > Greetings All,
                                  >
                                  > I just got the news that the BBC AMERICA channel will finally
                                  > start running TORCHWOOD tonight!!! (Saturday - Sept 8 9:00 PM
                                  > EASTERN) So check your local listings. This show might just be
                                  > even better than the NEW DOCTOR WHO that gave it birth. Either
                                  > way, it sure looks to be a good deal of FUN!
                                  >
                                  > BBC AMERICA
                                  > http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/262/index.jsp
                                  >
                                  > Wiki -- TORCHWOOD
                                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchwood

                                  For those without cable, Season One will be out IN ITS Entirety
                                  (all 13 episodes) on November 19, according to its Wiki site.

                                  Hooyah!
                                • WhiteWolf McBride
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 9, 2007
                                    --- Grauwolf <grauwulf@...> wrote:

                                    > Greetings Gunner, WW and All,
                                    >
                                    >>> what was the name of that t.v. show some years ago
                                    >>> that featured a group of people lost in a series
                                    >>> of alternate worlds via a "gate" trying to find
                                    >>> their way home? the series got dropped after a few
                                    >>> seasons but it had real possibilities.
                                    >>>
                                    >>> "gunner"

                                    >> "Sliders", who's classic enemy was the 'Kromagss', from an
                                    >> alternate-Earth dimension where Cromagnon man evolved, and
                                    >> Neanderthal man was enslaved:

                                    > Dig back a little bit further and you might find the old TV
                                    > show that in all likelihood inspired the writers of SLIDERS.
                                    >
                                    > Anybody remember those lost travelers from THE TIME TUNNEL???
                                    > Every week they were jumped from one harrowing historical
                                    > disaster to the next. I don't recall if they ever made it
                                    > back home. -- Scarier yet! -- They keep making attempts to
                                    > bring the thing BACK! --LOL
                                    >
                                    > Wiki -- The TIME TUNNEL
                                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Tunnel

                                    Hey, thats concept was basically used in another form in
                                    Dr. Who but instead of a 'gate', they use the TARDIS. It
                                    predates TT by three years, and is Guinness World Record
                                    holder!

                                    Time Tunnel is available on DVD, and includes the 2002 pilot
                                    and one un-aired episode, and the old series will be shown
                                    starting this Setember on the US 'Life' network.
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 9, 2007
                                      Greetings Gunner, WW and All,

                                      > Time Tunnel is available on DVD, and includes the 2002 pilot
                                      and one un-aired episode, and the old series will be shown
                                      starting this Setember on the US 'Life' network. <

                                      About a month ago I caught the last 25 minutes of an episode that they
                                      keep rerunning on various cable channels. It is the same DVD that I
                                      have seen in the video shops. I don't recall the name that they are
                                      using to sell it by, but it is not THE TIME TUNNEL. I think that it
                                      might be the "Visitors From Beyond The Stars" episode 18. A glance at
                                      the back of the case shows those ever so cool silver face painted
                                      "aliens" that were so popular with all of these old shows. An old TT
                                      hand will recognize the lead actors James Darren and Robert Colbert
                                      from the series.

                                      As BAD as it now all looks when viewed today, TT was a prime example of
                                      a topnotch TV Sci-Fi series of its day. A stiff prime time ratings
                                      competitor alongside Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Wild,
                                      Wild West, Lost In Space and a handful other now well forgotten shows.
                                      --- Who knows, maybe a remake will net them a few more Moments In The
                                      Sun like it did for some of those other old shows.

                                      Since we seem to be on the subject ---- Anybody here have any favorite
                                      (whether Ancient or relatively New) old TV shows that they would like
                                      to see resurrected???

                                      Man, just how many of these old shows were there??? ----- Lets see now,
                                      there was ---The Invaders, My Favorite Martian, Land of the Giants,
                                      Land of the Lost, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Earth II, ALF, Space
                                      Above and Beyond, Mork & Mindy, V, --- PLUS all of those cartoon shows!
                                      -------- YIPES!!!

                                      No wonder nobody is bothering to write anything NEW these days! --LOL

                                      So how about it guys??? How about ---

                                      What are YOUR top FIVE choices for the Sci-Fi TV Show RESURRECTION LIST
                                      ???

                                      --- &&&& ---

                                      YOUR bottom FIVE choices for the Sci-fi TV Show BURY THEM DEEPER LIST
                                      ???

                                      Of course any Suggestions Or Comments as to what you would Change, Fix,
                                      Up or Down Grade, etc, etc are always more than welcome!!! -- What the
                                      Heck, they're YOUR Shows!

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 9, 2007
                                        Greetings Gunner and All,

                                        Yeah, I don't know about safer if just a "Hard Fart" can blow you into
                                        an alternate time track!!! --LOL

                                        I still like the vision that the name generates even if it is only
                                        within my own mind. Any ideas as to which book might contain the best
                                        reference to these Gaussjammers??? These stories have me intrigued. My
                                        local library seems to be rather short on their Collected Works of A
                                        Bertram Chandler (Not A ONE!!!) so I will most likely have to select
                                        order the ones that I want to read. Any Personal Favorites that you
                                        would like to recommend????

                                        SCI-FI ARMOR
                                        --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.

                                        http://farechase.yahoo.com/
                                      • david schnyer
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 9, 2007
                                          "Any Personal Favorites that you
                                          would like to recommend?"
                                          ------------------
                                          at the moment, no, it's been a while since i last
                                          went through the "rimworlds" stories, but you've
                                          prompted me to dig in to the them again and i'll
                                          be looking. one i do remember had grime's ship
                                          trapped in some kind of spatial limbo where all
                                          sorts of lost ships, space and ocean going as
                                          well as aircraft ended up. in the course of
                                          poking around it seems chandler may have coined
                                          one of my favourite "aussie-isms" "this is
                                          liberty hall, you can spit on the mat and call
                                          the cat a bastard".
                                          "gunner"

                                          Need a vacation? Get great deals
                                          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                                          http://travel.yahoo.com/
                                        • Dan
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 16, 2007
                                            Greetings Gunner and All,

                                            Well I will sure be looking forward to that list of recommendations!!!

                                            Yesterday I had a chance to do a walk through of our local B&N. Not
                                            One Single Copy of any of his stuff!!! --- I guess they need the shelf
                                            space for all of those oh so wonderful and creatively inspired Vampire
                                            Trash and Harlequin Romance Sword & Sorceress series that seem to be
                                            about the only thing they want to stock these days. And Let's not
                                            forget all of those Cute Fuzzy Animal S&S series they stock. (Did
                                            someone move the Kiddy Section???) --- Someone is just going to have
                                            to explain to me how it is that that stuff can be in any way shape or
                                            form considered for stocking in the SCIENCE FICTION section of a
                                            bookstore. --- Anyone???? --- I sure don't get it.

                                            Believe It Or Not! -- They actually had ONE whole very slim copy of HG
                                            Wells' WAR OF THE WORLDS. (It must have been overlooked!) --- Yeah,
                                            things are really starting to look pretty darn sad at the old B&N when
                                            VT, HRS&S and CFAS&S is allowed to oust even the very CLASSICS
                                            themselves. --- Makes ya yearn to take a heavy pulse cannon to the
                                            whole works! --- Now just try and tell me that THAT doesn't sound like
                                            a whole lot of FUN! <evil grin> --LOL

                                          • david schnyer
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 16, 2007
                                              that's the problem with "beans and noodles" and
                                              their competitors, they go with the latest fads,
                                              heinlein still sells well but a lot of the good
                                              classic writers get forgotten, like poul anderson
                                              and his "dominic flandry" series. flandry made
                                              james bond look like a wuss, and he had a whole
                                              galaxy to play in. e. e. (doc) smith and his
                                              "gray lensman" series is a dated these days but
                                              its still the archtype of the good old romping
                                              stomping space opera. a good used book store can
                                              be a treasure trove, but they're getting hard to
                                              find these days.
                                              "gunner"

                                              Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
                                            • david schnyer
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 16, 2007
                                                rather than make you wait while i dig through a
                                                couple of thousand paperback books (literally)
                                                here's a fairly representative list of chandler's
                                                "rim worlds" titles, though most of them seem to
                                                be out of print you can try the used book stores
                                                on line.
                                                "gunner"

                                                http://ebooks.palm.com/author/detail/1787

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 20, 2007
                                                  Greetings Gunner and All,

                                                  > , like poul anderson
                                                  and his "dominic flandry" series. flandry made
                                                  james bond look like a wuss, and he had a whole
                                                  galaxy to play in. <

                                                  And Flandry always seemed to be able to carry it all off with a darn
                                                  sight more class, dash and style than old JB. A GREAT series!

                                                  > a good used book store can
                                                  be a treasure trove, but they're getting hard to
                                                  find these days. <

                                                  Rodger That! The last time I thought to try a local used book store the
                                                  guy tried to charge me $2.00 for a nothing special, very used old 60
                                                  Cent paperback! --- Some of these guys have been spending WAY too much
                                                  time on e-Bay!

                                                  Thanks for the palm e Book Store tip!!!!

                                                  > i remember those, "john norman" seemed to have a
                                                  hang up, <

                                                  Yeah, I think that you would have to say that old John had a LOT of
                                                  hang ups! --LOL --- Yet I certainly remember enjoying his series! A
                                                  good run for anyone who also liked ER Burroughs various Lost Worlds
                                                  adventures, but wanted something that wasn't quite as dated as ERB. ---
                                                  PRIEST-KINGS OF GOR always remained one of my favorites.

                                                  > a lot of the good classic writers get forgotten <

                                                  You sure got that right!!! --- If anyone has bothered to check out our
                                                  LINKS section lately they will find a Folder there labeled --- THE
                                                  WRITERS. I have been trying to find and add Links to all of those
                                                  amazing writers (both old and new) who have given us all of these
                                                  Fantastic Multiverses. I sure don't have the time to link them all, and
                                                  my favorites might not even be the same as yours --- So It Would Sure
                                                  Be Nice!!! --- if some of you other MSF Junkies would list some of YOUR
                                                  favorites as well. --- This could be a darn good way to help keep some
                                                  of our heroes from being lost to the ages!

                                                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658