Military Issue

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
      Greetings All,

      Yesterday I received an unsolicited catalog through the mail. I can't
      call it "Junk Mail" because (for once!) it was actually full of
      something that I am interested in. Okay, maybe this stuff is not
      Sci-Fi (well maybe it is if you tweak it a little like some of us tend
      to do. --LOL) but it sure is a L-O-T!!! of Very Cool military
      paraphernalia! These guys have just about anything --- books, DVDs,
      models, figures, memorabilia, and even some off the wall military
      goodies I haven't seen offered anywhere else. I only wish that they
      covered a larger time span --- like back at least to the Napoleonic
      Wars. --- Ah well. --- Anyway, if you guys are interested in anything
      from pre-WWI up to today these guys are worth a look through.

      Military Issue
      http://www.militaryissue.com/militaryissue/index.po

    • david schnyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
        minor quibble, the m.g. on the pictured jeep
        model looks more like a .30 air cooled browning,
        the gun i got my nickname from, and the one
        usually found on jeep post mounts. the .50
        caliber m2 hb was too much for the jeep post
        mount to handle and would tear the mount loose in
        short order, the .50 cal was usually used on a
        ring mount on 6by6s, half tracks, m-20 scout cars
        and sometimes on open mounts on tank turrets,
        though the .30 cal was more usually seen there
        too. basically the model is right, the catalogue
        text is mistaken.
        "gunner"

        http://farechase.yahoo.com/
      • WhiteWolf McBride
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
          --- david schnyer <gunnera4@...> wrote:

          > minor quibble, the m.g. on the pictured jeep
          > model looks more like a .30 air cooled browning,

          Which jeep David? Link?

          The Amphib jeep link doesn't have a MG, and the 1/32 link
          ~is~ most definately a .30 cal Browning 1919 air-cooled.

          Don't look at the ammo box, as many were retrofitted. Look at
          the TRIGGER GRIP - single pistol grip, not a butterfly.

          Browning .30 cals have a single grip and could be fired from
          the tripod with one hand and fed with the other, if needed.
          The M2HB .50 had too much recoil (same reason it busted jeep
          pintel mounts) and needed two hands to hold on. Watch Kelly's
          Heroes for .30 cal firing, and .50 AA mount in Tora Tora Tora.

          Agreed, .50's usually had ring mounts, like on the Deuce's,
          M7 Priest's, and was on a VERY short post on the tanks. When
          used on the 'Nam gun-trucks (and again in Iraq) the mount was
          again very short. Even the new Delta LAV buggies use whats
          called a 'naval' ring mount for theirs in the roll cage.
        • david schnyer
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 5, 2007
            "Which jeep David? Link?"
            -----------------
            i should have saved a link, sorry, didn't think
            of it. in that catalogue there was a small pic of
            a ww2 willys "mb" jeep model offered for sale. it
            carried a machine gun on a post mount, the gun
            looked like a browning .30 air cooled as your
            post described:

            "Don't look at the ammo box, as many were
            retrofitted. Look at the TRIGGER GRIP - single
            pistol grip, not a butterfly.
            Browning .30 cals have a single grip and could be
            fired from the tripod with one hand and fed with
            the other, if needed.
            The M2HB .50 had too much recoil (same reason it
            busted jeep pintle mounts) and needed two hands
            to hold on."

            that's what caught my eye, the catalogue text
            called it a .50 caliber, which was obviously
            wrong and the fault of the copywriter, not anyone
            in this group of skilled and knowledgeable model
            builders. (and no sarcasm intended gents, you may
            make mistakes but they're infrequent and very
            minor on the whole.)
            "gunner"

            http://tv.yahoo.com/