Re: WH40K as a sci-fi wargame - having fun with da boyz

  • ericbitondo
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 1, 2007
      Personally, I prefer when the author lays down basic rules about what
      is fictional and what is based on reality. Larry Niven's The Integral
      Trees and The Smoke Ring provide good examples. The fiction of the
      books is a ring of breathable air orbiting a neutron star in a binary
      system. The science is when Niven then sets about creating a world
      that follows the laws of nature, but fit in with the fictional element
      (giant double ended trees, people who have grown extremely tall,
      transportation between settlements using kites and strong tidal
      winds). The novel comes when he builds a story IN this world, rather
      than ABOUT it. Of course, it doesn't have to go that far. In the
      Battletech universe, mechs are powered by fusion reactors. The heat
      these reactors generate is often an important part of battle.

      I've never been particularly interested in any of the Warhammer games.
      My only opinion of them is that the miniatures look cool. However,
      modern day computer games tend to look much better, are usually faster
      and easier to play (the computer does all book keeping for you), and
      provide more accurate simulation of small scale military actions. Of
      course, I prefer RC models over computers, because that's based in the
      real world.

      Eric

      new warship combat video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSU8nQ7o0u4

      --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, "surprisemove" <meieimatai@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > However, lets consider a 4m tall 7ton ork warlord. For a start he
      > would have to be constantly feeding (as do elephants), and would not
      > be able to participate in fighting for very long because of the
      > slower metabolism and therefore lower energy available to waste.
      > Because of this relative immobility the ork would soon be buried
      > under mountains of waste mixed with its own spores! NOW THERE IS A
      > PICTURE I WOULD NOT WANT TO PAINT :-)
      >
      > What I describe above is simply what happens to fantasy when people
      > ask simple scientific questions.
      >
      > The reason I stopped at ork language is because the canon is
      > completely ridiculous. In order for orks to use runic language and
      > speak in the way they are supposed to speak according to WH40K, they
      > would need a vastly superior intelligence and an entirely different
      > skull and neck structure (what neck?). The problem is that phonetics
      > are derived from a physical construct of the species' bone and muscle
      > structure, and in orks this is very close to guerrilla. This means
      > that IF they could speak English for example, it would be a high
      > sounding (almost squeaky) voice with a strongly Arabic pronunciation.
      > However considering their temper, it would be spoken the way Japanese
      > speak in samurai movies.
      >
      > Use of runic writing system would be even less likely because this is
      > a system with no punctuation, and with symbols having meaning as well
      > as values, and therefore closely resembling Hebrew. The ancient
      > Greeks and Romans couldn't master Hebrew (Phoenician) and they
      > couldn't master the runic alphabet used by the Celto-Germanian
      > tribes, so how would species with ork intelligence do so?
      >
      > More related to warfare are the concepts of ork gods Gork and Mork
      > which are the gods of Defense and Attack. This is EXTREMELY strange
      > because the more often used ork tactics are the raid or ambush, so
      > there would need to be at least one god of Surprise!
      >
      > Of course best I left to the last - ork currency. Orks apparently use
      > their teeth which are regrown in the same manner as those of sharks.
      > In my days at university the economics professor would remind us
      > constantly that money does not grow on trees, however if it grows on
      > orks, is there a difference?
      > Now consider orks captured by other orks in battle and having all
      > their teeth pulled. How would they eat? Either they would require
      > enormous amounts of fungi, or liquefied protein, or even larger
      > amounts of vegetable matter. They could swallow chunks of meat (on
      > assumption they had access to some or just became temporarily
      > cannibalistic), but this would be exhausting and make them vulnerable
      > while they are defenceless (why well fed lions seldom attack).
      >
      > Now, I am not being critical here, but simply illustrate the sort of
      > questions asked in science fiction about extraterrestrial species
      > humanity may encounter, and what forms the basis of science fiction,
      > as opposed to `science fantasy' while...

    • surprisemove
      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 4, 2007
        I use Wiki and others to save on typing....why reinvent the wheel
        every time I want to say something ;-)

        I do a lot of my own research, and have numerous disputes with Wiki
        editors, but lack the access to edit so I do not view Wiki as THE
        source, but A place to start.

        Cheers
        greg