Vintage BOLOS

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      Greetings All,

      Some old guy once said, "There ain't nothin' new under the sun."

      Check out these magazine covers and note -- (1) the date of issue (2)
      that these were not Sci-Fi mags from back in the day but Science/Tech
      magazines. Are you all flagging for a bit of inspiration? Maybe you
      all should have a little chat with gramps! --LOL

      The Megabattleship Tank
      http://davidszondy.com/future/war/megabattleship.htm

      The Battleship Tank
      http://davidszondy.com/future/war/battleship.htm

      The Electro-Ray Tank
      http://davidszondy.com/future/war/electroray.htm

      The Flame Tank
      http://davidszondy.com/future/war/flametank.htm

      The Gyro Destroyer
      http://davidszondy.com/future/war/gyro.htm

      "Yeah, you can be darn sure that those bloody tentacled Martians would
      have had a darn sight tougher time of it if we would have had a few of
      these armored behemoths commissioned into service at the time of their
      sneaky attack! I'm just glad our boys will be a bit better equipped
      when they set out to whup them monsters back on their own red turf! --
      Kick their green butts, Boys!!! --- Ah,...do Martians have butts???"
      --- from interview with the famose Pappy Ratchets at launch of First
      Joint Martian Retaliatory Strike Force.

    • WhiteWolf McBride
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2006
        --- "Dan" <grauwulf@...> wrote:

        > Greetings All,
        >
        > Some old guy once said, "There ain't nothin' new under the sun."
        >
        > Check out these magazine covers and note:
        > (1) the date of issue
        > (2) that these were not Sci-Fi mags from back in the
        > day but Science/Tech magazines.
        > Are you all flagging for a bit of inspiration? Maybe you
        > all should have a little chat with gramps! --LOL

        - Links & quote snipped for brevity -

        Dan,

        I've seen that Gyro-thing before, in my roamings on the 'Net
        Gyrocycles or monowheels are another growing 'fad-machine',
        and one V8 powered one was shown at the odd 'Burning Man'
        festival a few years back.

        Flame-tanks were used in WW2, you forget the Brit Crocodile
        and Sherman M42 Flame tanks? The Croc's were among Hobart's
        Brit 'Funnies' that were designed for D-Day, and the Sherman
        ones helped the US get the Nips out of their caves on the
        Pacific Islands (no racial slight meant)

        As for the mobile battleships, they are problematic: the one
        on paddlewheels is a joke. Weight would crush 'em before it
        got off the beach; the tracked one might work, but you'd need
        hellaciously wide tracks (and multiple sets) to get respectable
        ground pressure to avoid miring itself. Look at the M28/95 the
        US built, the proposed Brit Tortoise, and the German Maus, and
        then compare their overall tonnage to the track area. Thats
        why the heavier Bolos have most of their undersides as tracks.

        That screw-tube one is an idea, and there is a toy out there
        that uses that mode of propulsion, and it was also used in a
        swamp/tundra vehicle, though I cannot remember its name. The
        electro ray seems to draw on Tesla's ideas, but they never
        came to fruition, unless you think of the US work on ELF and
        the rumours that come out of Area 51. directing it might be a
        problem, as electricity has an annoying way of finding its own
        conductor to ground-discharge...

        Someone did pay attention to that submarine beacher though.
        In the 12-book series called 'Warbots', they have amphibious
        APC's that can nose up onto the beach to deliver troops,
        though they are not too big (maybe the size of a WW2 LCM-3)
        and have bigger sub-carriers that combine today's boomers and
        carriers into one, to hide that horrifically big airfield
        under water. Then again, the writer used aerodynes (flying
        disks like that one Avro built)as the airborne craft of choice
        of the modern US Air Force.

        As for the Tyco toys, bugs have been there for ages. I have
        one of those assemble-it-yourself ones, with the clockwork
        powerplant, and now you can get robotics ones that are far
        from cheap ($500 and up, depending on your choice of number
        of leg-pairs and leg-joints respectively) I thought of getting
        a frame to run it under RC, but even that was horrifically
        expensive. Besides, you need a basic computer interface to
        control the unit to operate multiple legs for multiple sets
        of motions (one for straight, another for slow left/right,
        tight left/right, and stationary turn)

        I like that rotary Nerf launcher though...
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2006
          Greetings WW and All,

          Oh sure, if you are going to go and get all scientific and logical
          about it and throw in a crushing dash of reality --- of course none of
          this stuff would work.

          In fact, the most damning thing about any of these humongous war
          machines (past or future) is their SIZE. Just take a look around you
          and show me anywhere short of the artic or the Sahara desert where
          there is enough open room to run even one of these monsters. I am not
          just talking about maneuvering around buildings and such, but all of
          the natural terrain features as well. Valleys, mountains, rivers, etc
          equipped with roadways providing access to and from an area for normal
          size vehicles only become box canyons and insurmountable traps and pits
          for giant machines. (Yeah, I know the later BOLOS could fly. That is
          just a cheat that comes far too late in the game.) Now you can add in
          all of those manmade obstructions such as city centers, waterways,
          raised roadways, etc. and what you get is a big tank with really no
          where to go. (Ever watch a semi try to turn around on a side street???
          It ain't pretty.)

          Yeah, reality sucks. So why let it interfere with the FUN! ???

          > As for the mobile battleships, they are problematic: the one
          on paddlewheels is a joke. Weight would crush 'em before it
          got off the beach; the tracked one might work, but you'd need
          hellaciously wide tracks (and multiple sets) to get respectable
          ground pressure to avoid miring itself. <

          You are right. The weight distribution factor was a big issue until the
          British government revealed that Scotland Yard had recovered portions
          of Dr. Cavor's research. With the aid of Torchwood's R&D department
          they were able to begin manufacturing Cavorite in small quantities. It
          only required the installation of minuscule portions of this substance
          to the lower hull to substantially reduce the vessel's overall weight.
          Yet they were still able to retain enough mass to maintain the
          stability required to support the impressive armor and weapons array of
          these Land Dreadnoughts.

          (Now see, ain't that more Fun!??? --LOL)

          Have a burning question?