Re: [Sci-Fi_Armor] Re: Bitondo Bros Productions

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2006
      Greetings Eric and All,

      Thanks for all the info!

      > the
      iron-clad was able to line up and ram the battleship, which was a
      perfectly acceptable tactic for ships during the civil war. Needless
      to say, the battleship sank quickly and no one else accepted any
      challenges. <

      Now that really did give me a chuckle! --- "I ain't going in there --
      that old girl is just plain MEAN!" --LOL

      > I must point out the difficulty of battling ACW ships in any scale.
      Ships like the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia have very little
      effective penetrable area. Because of this it will be nearly
      impossible to sink an opponent, which is the ultimate goal of any form
      of model warship combat. <

      Yeah, that is what has had me the most puzzled. To a great extent it is
      the reason that I would like to contact folks doing this sort of
      combat. Just how are they working the battle damage angle??? And what
      about spar-torpedoes???

      Now technically speaking that is precisely what would make this form of
      naval combat so historically realistic. In most cases combat between
      ironclads lasted for quite some time with neither side gaining any real
      advantage. Most often, an ironclad was damaged by --

      -- loss of draft to her boilers (funnel/s shot to pieces)
      -- mechanical problems (poor quality parts, poor design (exposed
      steering chains!)
      -- steam plant battle damage (usually from ramming other vessels!))
      -- swarmed/outnumbered (ten union ships to one rebel was not uncommon).

      > That said, I am very interested in ACW
      combat, and would like to build a ship or two to battle Dan in the
      future. <

      Now that I would very much like to see!

      > Though most clubs limit ships to those from
      1900 and later, I doubt many people will object to them participating
      in combat if you actually build one. It's another small, slow target
      with relatively light armament. <

      Now that would be the clinker now wouldn't it? As with the ACW ships
      the pre-1900 ships would still retain the same serious advantages over
      their later day rivals. Personally, I would like to build the
      USS MONTEREY
      http://members.cox.net/ironmonger/monterey.htm

      Or a breastwork monitor such as the HMVS CERBERUS
      http://www.papershipwright.freeserve.co.uk/
      (Click on "Free Downloads" --> HMVS CERBERUS for a GREAT model image.)

      Or a similar later twin-turreted MONITOR type ship. (Plus actually, I
      have been doing a lot of serious side engineering to incorporate their
      designs into a LAND ironclad version just because I like their look so
      much. Yeah, twin turrets, mastheads, funnels and all. Well, maybe not
      the lifeboats. --LOL )

      BTW -- Could you imagine what it must have been like to float one of
      those "Cheese Boxes on a Raft" clear across the Pacific back in the
      day??? Iron Ships & Iron Men! -- No bloody doubt!!!!

      > Someone in the
      NTXBG built a French predread, but it isn't armed.
      http://warship.wynne.ws/images/Ships/target28.html <

      Yeah, I caught the "target 28" id right off. Some folks just ain't got
      no respect! --LOL

      > You might be interested to hear that I have begun planning my next
      video project: FAQ about model warship combat. <

      What an EXCELLENT idea!!! Please do let us know when you have it up.
      Plus do not be shy about putting up a Link in our Sci-Fi Armor Links
      page. ALL info resources are always helpful and welcome!

      If you all get that ACW club thing going let me know. You might just
      have a convert.

      (http://www.yahoo.com/preview)
    • ericbitondo
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2006
        It's been a while since I've seen whats going on here. I am pleased
        to announce a new video from Bitondo Bros Productions. It is ONLY A
        PREVIEW of my planned coverage of the WWCC Last Man Standing.

        The idea for the Last Man Standing is to show off as much of the LMS
        video as possible, without music, and with Carl's and my comments
        about the tactics that viewers should notice. This is to show off
        what a battle is really like (as you should know, we don't play a
        soundtrack customized to the action during a battle). It will be
        three to four separate videos on youtube providing an introduction to
        the battle and ships as well as the actual coverage of the battle
        itself. Of course, it will also take a lot of work to put together
        (we spent the weekend putting together 2 minutes, imagine what 30-40
        will take).

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLQO3-0o0DU

        Our next planned project is the FAQ. Again, it will probably be a
        multi-part series that covers the basics of the hobby in general,
        followed by more specifics about Biggun and the WWCC construction,
        armament, and combat operations. I will need to do some more filming
        for this, particularly of captains preparing for battle, working in
        the shop, and most importantly showing off the insides and
        construction of their boat from the ground up.

        Eric
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2006
          Greetings Eric and All,

          This all sounds GREAT!!!

          Really looking forward to the FAQ. I like to pick up ideas, tricks and
          tips from wherever I can get them. Besides I am still debating with
          myself about building one of these ships. Still pretty much hung up on
          that desire to build a working old Span-Am War coastal monitor. Just
          can not shake off that USS MONTEREY M-6. Twin mounted 15 inch and twin
          mounted 10 inch guns all on a raft. BOOM! BOOM! --LOL

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com