Re: [Sci-Fi_Armor] Re: Back???

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
      Greetings Carl and All,

      > Columbus Ironworks.... <

      Yeah, other than a prompt delivery of their paper catalog I have not
      had much luck getting any other info out of these folks. They have a
      great line of ACW ships and ideas but not much follow through.
      Personally, I would very much like to find and talk to some other folks
      who are into these ironclad ships before I dumped a lot of cash into
      another major project.

      Still I think the idea of expanding on his idea of using micro-switch
      cutouts hooked to hit panels could make any form of non-destructive RC
      Combat about as real as it can get.

      > I have been experimenting with a 1/16 scale HL airsoft tank, but the
      results have been disappointing. <

      When I first started fooling around I had picked up a real cheap-o
      German MARS (mobile missile battery) from e-bay. The thing was pure
      junk that a kid would have had dead in the dirt within 20 minutes after
      opening the box. However, it did have a good set of motors and tracks.
      So I gutted it and used it for a base for a number of FUN experimental
      weapons platforms. Just adding cheap servo motors controlling
      micro-switches made a whole world of difference in what this thing was
      able to do. They turned JUNK! into Tough & Mean! (--LOL) I would gladly
      grab another if I found one. Scavenged parts from that MARS are still
      finding their way into other projects. Like they say --- PARTS IS
      PARTS! --LOL

      I am just trying to say that sometimes you do not need to worry about
      going Over Budget to get some FUN out of these things. Cheap & Dirty
      can get you through a lot.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
        Greetings All,

        Speaking of PARTS ---

        Does anybody else here remember those old all metal ERECTOR SETS??? (As
        a kid you never saw me without a band-aid or two from those darn
        things. --LOL) I just received a heads-up from THE ROBOT MARKETPLACE
        that they are having a sale on their VEX ROBOTICS SYSTEMS. I guess you
        can call it a modernized version of the ERECTOR. It is a pretty darn
        good deal and could provide folks with a very adaptable base from which
        to build and expand. The folks at TRM are a great lot and do feature a
        lot of great products at some of the best prices out there. Worth
        checking out no matter what you are building.

        The Robot Marketplace --
        http://www.robotmarketplace.com/marketplace_vex.html

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • crabfu1
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2006
          Ahhh yes, Vex :) I have used some of the hardware. The metal parts are
          structually stronger than Erector/Meccano sets. Very nice for building
          up chassis and stuff that needs to be strong.

          The only thing that I don't like is that they use semi square shafts,
          through square holes. They do this so that you can attach wheels,
          sprockets, gears etc. to them, without having to use a set screw. It's
          easy to just pop them on and off. However, it makes for some friction
          - not a big deal for powerful electric motors, but not a good thing
          for my steam engines. Overall though, it's really great, easy to
          quickly build up stuff, including optional tank treads, wheels,
          variety of gears and sprockets and such, large kits include
          electronics. The best part though, is that the nuts and bolts, as well
          as distance between the holes, are compatable with Meccano/Erector sets :)

          -Crabfu

          --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, Grauwolf <grauwulf@...> wrote:

          > Greetings All,
          >
          > Speaking of PARTS ---
          >
          > Does anybody else here remember those old all metal ERECTOR SETS??? (As
          > a kid you never saw me without a band-aid or two from those darn
          > things. --LOL) I just received a heads-up from THE ROBOT MARKETPLACE
          > that they are having a sale on their VEX ROBOTICS SYSTEMS. I guess you
          > can call it a modernized version of the ERECTOR. It is a pretty darn
          > good deal and could provide folks with a very adaptable base from which
          > to build and expand. The folks at TRM are a great lot and do feature a
          > lot of great products at some of the best prices out there. Worth
          > checking out no matter what you are building.
          >
          > The Robot Marketplace --
          > http://www.robotmarketplace.com/marketplace_vex.html
          >

          > Keep It FUN!
          >
          > Dan G

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • cbitondo
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2006
            hehe I played around with that for a bit. If you switch out their
            funky connectors, the servo and motor kits can plug directly into an
            ordinary hobby receiver. Several people are using the motor units
            for cannon rotation, and I even cut one up for use as an ESC.
            Wasn't up to the power requirements, though :(
            I haven't looked much into their wheels, gears, and sprockets. They
            might be useful for cannon rotation but there's better stuff out
            there as well.

            I used to get VEX from radio shack, but they stopped carrying stuff
            a while ago. Now I have to go online, which is a major pain for me.

            Carl