Re: LEGO Goes To War

  • dm_tim
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 21 2:34 PM
      As long as we're talking Marines in space, does anybody remember the short-lived series "Space Above and Beyond"?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_Above_and_Beyond

      I thought it was a lot of fun but I had a hard time wrapping my head around pilots who also regularly ran ground patrols. Still I enjoyed it quite a bit.

      Regards,

      Tim

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26 6:05 AM
        Greetings Gunner and ALL,

        > somewhere in my files i've got a poem he wrote to virginia, a tongue in
        cheek warning to rash young men about falling in love with redheads <

        LOL! Yeah, ya just gotta LOVE them Red Heads! I guess I should feel blessed. My wife's Red was ~ lightened up ~ a bit (??? LOL) by her Norwegian Blond. You sure don't want to be around when her Viking Blood is up! LOL

        SCI-FI ARMOR
        --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
        "Never Give Up! -- Never Surrender!"
      • Brooks Rowlett
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 26 6:45 AM
          As big a Navy/Marines fan as I am, I have to point out that with a few exceptions, most amphibious operations in the Pacific involved more US Army troops than Marines. I don't think any Marine troops at all were landed in the New Guinea campaign; the initial landings at Leyte were all Army except for some attached Marine artillery and a couple of other small units; Okinawa involved more Army divisions than Marine and the Marianas was a mix.

          Also, remember the ship in Starship Troopers, RODGER YOUNG was name for an Army hero.

          Brooks Rowlett

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 26 7:50 AM
            Greetings Tim and ALL,

            > As long as we're talking Marines in space, does anybody remember the short-lived series "Space Above and Beyond" ?
            http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Space:_Above_ and_Beyond <

            Are you kidding??? THAT was one of MY ALL TIME FAVORITE Sci-Fi shows!!! I thought that it was a very cheap shot the way the TV channels kept giving it the typical ~ The Who Really Watches Sci-Fi Anyway ~ Shuffle, and then went and just dumped it with a (hopefully) MAJOR cliffhanger ending!!! I keep (futilely) hoping that ~ someone/anyone ~ will pick it up, resurrect it and/or at least do a Closure Movie.

            Some ~ Good News ~ though. You can catch some free (very poor quality) episodes on YouTube, or ya can get the series (after MANY years of waiting) on DVD. PLUS a bunch of other goodies from Amazon!
            http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=space+above+beyond&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1471231520&ref=pd_sl_493jheugig_e http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=space+above+beyond&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1471231520&ref=pd_sl_493jheugig_e

            YouTube - Space: Above and Beyond
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmg_paR4jF0
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmg_paR4jF0

            > I thought it was a lot of fun but I had a hard time wrapping my head
            around pilots who also regularly ran ground patrols. Still I enjoyed it quite a bit. <

            Hey, MARINES are ~ suppose to be ~ versatile! Otherwise they would just be yet another batch of Fly Boys! (LOL)

            Actually, the whole Pilot = Ground Trooper idea is rather funny. Show me a Pilot and I'll show you a guy who HATES to get his boots dirty, and feels Darn NAKED trying to fight without his Winged Steed!

            But I think that the Pilots = Ground Troops has a lot to do with what has become Expected TV Fare. Not sure ~ WHERE ~ it started. (???) They used basically the same idea in the original and new Battlestar Galactica, a bit in Babylon 5, Star Wars, and in any number of Mil-Sci-Fi books and films. Even anime like Robotec, etc used it.  I guess that the writers figure that there's no point in letting the RedShirt/Jarheads have any of the Fun & Glory! They'll just use them for background scenery when they need a lot of Good Guys getting wiped out by the Bad Guys. Besides, what writer wants to have to write up a script that keeps bouncing between TWO lead groups of characters? THAT would just totally confuse all of those ~ simple minded ~ Sci-Fi fans. Wouldn't it???

            Ever notice how ALL of the space-fighter craft featured these days can land anywhere with no worries about needing runways, etc? Its the ONLY WAY the writers can get these Fly Boys to the Action so they can rescue the Beautiful Alien Wench and fight the Bad Guy Mano-A-Mano! Its also a bit of a laugh how they can ALWAYS seem to squeeze that Rescued Wench into those ONE MAN COCKPITS!!! LOL

            Hhhmmm, . . . Maybe the script writers are all former envious Glory Starved Wing Nuts. What do YOU ALL think??? LOL

            SCI-FI ARMOR
            --- Because the Multiverse is NOT a friendly place.
            "Never Give Up! -- Never Surrender!"
          • Max
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26 11:10 AM
              Ever notice the last thing to fail is the artificial gravity. Weapons, shields, even life support, but the av almost always holds up to the end and BEYOND!

              Of course it has to work for the actors except in good examples like 2001 a Space Odbally.

              Same with ships facing off in close proximity.

              I realize the need to see what is going on (for the audience) but it gets goofy at times. I would paint MY ship flat black certainly not white.

              I would also keep a good supply of basic mass, say... rocks and boulders or even garbage and spare parts. Then when the enemy fleet is upon you and everybody is going mach 9.9 you simply jettison a bunch or rocks in front of the pursuing fleet.

              Can you say destroyed in a flash but no boom? Ever see what a tiny marble can do to a satellite at normal orbiting speeds?

              Just some thoughts.

              Max crazy in MI.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 27 7:12 AM
                Greetings Brook and ALL,

                > As big a Navy/Marines fan as I am, I have to point out that with a few
                exceptions, most amphibious operations in the Pacific involved more US Army
                troops than Marines. I don't think any Marine troops at all were landed in
                the New Guinea campaign; the initial landings at Leyte were all Army except
                for some attached Marine artillery and a couple of other small units;
                Okinawa involved more Army divisions than Marine and the Marianas was a mix. <

                More than right! I sure didn't mean it to sound like we were slighting ANYBODY. Heck, I would even point out the Heroic, and often FORGOTTEN, involvements of the Filipino guerrillas, the Chindits, scattered natives from a number of islands, and ALL OF THE REST of the combined forces of Our Other Allies!!! NO, SIR! The Pacific Campaign was by no means a One Branch or solely a US Theater of Operations!!! My uncle served in the Army in Burma and my dad in the Navy air arm in the Marshall and Soloman Islands. So, even though they never talked very much about what they themselves endured, I grew up with a darn good ~ education ~ and major appreciation of all that really was involved. Certainly, far more than made it to any movie screens or even into many books!

                > Also, remember the ship in Starship Troopers, RODGER YOUNG was name for an Army hero. <

                That is one of the things that I really like about Mil-Sci-Fi. Unlike the ~ Wet Navy ~ where a ship might be named for a sailor or marine hero (darn few ever really have been for lower ranks) a SPACE ship could be named for a hero from any branch AND from any nation! It often opens folks eyes to the services rendered by many forgotten, yet well deserving, service personal. I wish that more writers would make use of it!!!

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 27 7:49 AM
                  Greetings Max and ALL,

                  LOL! Yeah, ALL Very GREAT Points!!! LOL!

                  Unfortunately, if a ship (as most would certainly need to) had any form of ~ Deflector Shields ~, or lacking that form of tech a ~ Heavily Armored Deflecting Bow ~, the old Trashcan Dump trick wouldn't work so well. All it might do is really piss off some poor boatswain's mate who would get stuck with scrubbing the mess back off that shinny white paint work. Ya better hope ya don't run into him in any of those spaceport dives all us swabs like so much!!! LOL

                  One point that I think your list missed. = Hull Breaches.
                  Very Few writers ever think much about them. When was the last time you saw any of those spacer heroes scramble into a suit??? (The actors all whine that, even with all of those lights INSIDE the helmets, they hinder the closeups!) Me, I would be grabbing mine LONG before Number One could even get the R out in his cry of ~ Red Alert! ~ !!! LOL

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 29 10:30 AM
                    Hey Max,

                    As far as I can recall only one of the Star Trek movies ever had the artificial gravity fail. I just can't remember any other movies or TV shows where it did.

                    Also I don't suppose you'll see things like debris in space being much of a deal unless someone puts together a near future show. I think it would be great but it's hard to make the sorts of things that are "edge of your seat terrifying" in terms of real space tech seem so in fiction. Really, you'd know quite some time in advance of a solar flare or micro meteor event that it was coming and would be scrambling to get to cover and worried about burning extra fuel but you'd have to compress hours of real time into seconds of screen time or folks would get bored. They'd need amazing writing to make that work.

                    --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, "Max" <The_Golden_Stallion@...> wrote:

                    > Ever notice the last thing to fail is the artificial gravity. Weapons, shields, even life support, but the av almost always holds up to the end and BEYOND!
                    >
                    > Of course it has to work for the actors except in good examples like 2001 a Space Odbally.
                    >
                    > Same with ships facing off in close proximity.
                    >
                    > I realize the need to see what is going on (for the audience) but it gets goofy at times. I would paint MY ship flat black certainly not white.
                    >
                    > I would also keep a good supply of basic mass, say... rocks and boulders or even garbage and spare parts. Then when the enemy fleet is upon you and everybody is going mach 9.9 you simply jettison a bunch or rocks in front of the pursuing fleet.
                    >
                    > Can you say destroyed in a flash but no boom? Ever see what a tiny marble can do to a satellite at normal orbiting speeds?
                    >
                    > Just some thoughts.
                    >
                    > Max crazy in MI.

                  • dm_tim
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 29 10:35 AM
                      GW,

                      I had forgotten about that last episode. That was awesome. And darned frustrating that the story didn't end properly. I will say they did have a pretty great setting and group of back stories. Well, maybe with Hollywood's inability to write new stuff and recent advancements in CGI perhaps someone will dust this off...