Re: Changes . . .

  • dm_tim
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 18, 2013
      Congratulations Grauwolf,

      I know I rarely post here but I always enjoy reading yours. At least I won't worry what happened to you if there's a stretch between your posts. I'm really happy for you.

      Best Regards,

      Tim

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
        Greetings ALL,

        (Playing Hooky! LOL)

        THANKS, Guys, for the encouraging words!

        Believe me, Gunner, there is nothing that I would rather be doing than DRIVING. I HATE office/paperwork BS! Always have, and always will. The guy they canned left me with a real cluster f*** the size of the Rockies. Believe me, it couldn't have been a bigger disaster if he had been trying. The real hamstringing kicker here is that I have to try and ~> FIX <~ everything while I'm also still driving! At least until I can hire and train-up TWO new drivers to replace me. A six week minimum. (Hhhhmmm, HEY! If they need TWO drivers to do my job, then why wasn't I getting paid twice as much to do my job??? = The Bloody Universe just ain't never fair!!! LOL) At least they are giving me Carte-Blanche to handle things. Strangely, I've already seen some improvements in a couple of our problem slacker drivers. Which I'm taking as a very hopeful sign! Plus, I've been getting our rigs caught up on a ton of much needed repairs. I've even been given the go ahead to start the ball rolling on buying a pair of additional tractors! So, things ain't ~ too bad ~ all-in-all. Ain't nothing broken too bad that it can't get fixed!

        All I need is TIME!!!

        Which, of course, the Multiverse and the Evil Dark Multi-Winged Paperwork Daemons Of Chaos From The Seventh Level Of Niflhel In The Outer Reaches Of The Spiral Arm Of The Dreaded Black Sun Filled Nightgaunt Galaxy (bloody bureaucrats and their darn titles!) in all their infinite cruelty, steadfastly refuses to relinquish!!! <sigh>

        Break time over = Back To Bloody Work!

      • david schnyer
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
          slacker drivers/guards, yep, seen a couple of those at "amsa" the armoured truck outfit. i usually let them do the walking at the stops, letting them get plenty of healthy exercise and fresh air. we had two that i wondered why they even took a job that required carrying a gun. the worst though was "mad brown" a former campus cop, he was eager to get into a fight. thankfully he got fired for stalking a female guard before he achieved his hoped for "moment of glory". i suspect the company's lawyers breathed a sigh of relief when he left. he took "be polite, be professional, and have a plan..." to the extreme.
          "gunner"

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
            My old man was a short-haul Teamster about 35 years ago. I remember hanging out with him and his buddies back in the day. They were just great guys, stopping to help motorists, safe drivers, knew how to get where they were going and could fix anything. It sounds like there are still some folks out there who remember what it was like. What states are you guys in? I haven't seen good truckers in California for years.

            Regards,

            Tim

            --- In Sci-Fi_Armor@yahoogroups.com, "Grauwolf" <grauwulf@...> wrote:

            > Greetings ALL,
            >
            > (Playing Hooky! LOL)
            >
            > THANKS, Guys, for the encouraging words!
            >
            > Believe me, Gunner, there is nothing that I would rather be doing than DRIVING. I HATE office/paperwork BS! Always have, and always will. The guy they canned left me with a real cluster f*** the size of the Rockies. Believe me, it couldn't have been a bigger disaster if he had been trying. The real hamstringing kicker here is that I have to try and ~> FIX <~ everything while I'm also still driving! At least until I can hire and train-up TWO new drivers to replace me. A six week minimum. (Hhhhmmm, HEY! If they need TWO drivers to do my job, then why wasn't I getting paid twice as much to do my job??? = The Bloody Universe just ain't never fair!!! LOL) At least they are giving me Carte-Blanche to handle things. Strangely, I've already seen some improvements in a couple of our problem slacker drivers. Which I'm taking as a very hopeful sign! Plus, I've been getting our rigs caught up on a ton of much needed repairs. I've even been given the go ahead to start the ball rolling on buying a pair of additional tractors! So, things ain't ~ too bad ~ all-in-all. Ain't nothing broken too bad that it can't get fixed!
            >
            > All I need is TIME!!!
            >
            > Which, of course, the Multiverse and the Evil Dark Multi-Winged Paperwork Daemons Of Chaos From The Seventh Level Of Niflhel In The Outer Reaches Of The Spiral Arm Of The Dreaded Black Sun Filled Nightgaunt Galaxy (bloody bureaucrats and their darn titles!) in all their infinite cruelty, steadfastly refuses to relinquish!!! <sigh>
            >
            > Break time over = Back To Bloody Work!
            >
            > Keep It FUN!
            >
            > Dan G

          • david schnyer
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 21, 2013
              tim,
              my late uncle was a "day tripper" for "overnight" back when i started over the road, he used to kid me about being a "roadie" with my boots and beat up saddle tramp's cowboy hat. he drove mostly new england and new york, i've been over most of the u.s.. i still carry a mental picture of the main interstate highway net in my head. like your dad and his buddies, i've driven just about everything on wheels, from a mack 15 speed "triplex" to motorcycles, over somewhere north of a million miles. i'm retired now, collecting my rocking chair checks, but it was a good life, and i met a lot of good folks along the road.
              "gunner"

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 23, 2013
                Greetings Tim, Gunner and ALL,

                Tim, sad enough to have to say, but those "Good Ol'Days" and that breed of Driver is pretty much gone. You can see it quite plainly just by pulling into any truck stop for as long as it takes to buy a soda. Between all of the ~ Foreign Nationals ~ who barely speak and/or understand english, the young kids who can't function without a GPS and other electronic cheats and can't tell a screwdriver from a lug wrench, steadily rising crimes against Drivers and their rigs, and ever stricter laws and constricting deadlines, &tc, &tc, . . . well, it just ain't the same world anymore.

                Not ~ entirely ~ dead . . .YET! . . . My wife just told me of a story she read yesterday online. Three Drivers used their rigs to shelter and escort a mother and daughter who, while driving alone across country, were being harassed by a carload of young Punks. The mother was crying for help for some time on her CB (no cell connection) with NO response from police, &tc. The reason these Drivers "just appeared out of nowhere" (no CB chatter from the Drivers) and vanished again into the nowhere, was that if John Law found out what they had done, they wouldn't have been given medals. They would very likely have lost their licences and LIVELIHOODS!!! . . . Yeah, welcome to the Brave New World Of Trucking!

                When you consider the HARD FACT that every single thing that you buy from ANYWHERE got there by TRUCK, you would think that a Driver would be given every aid possible to do his job. Unfortunately, the opposite is far Far FAR more the case. Drivers face one of the most underappreciated, toughest and top most hazardous jobs in the world (look it up!) every day. Yet on nearly every hand Laws, Restrictions, Taxes, Insurance Requirements, Poorly Engineered Roads and Streets, Flat Out State and Federal Greed, Careless Four Wheelers and just a seeming All Around Hate Of Those Big Slow Smelly Damn Trucks is CONSTANTLY thrown against them. Its a bloody wonder to me that they can get ANYBODY dumb enough to want to do the job at all!!!

                Yet we do. And most of us ~ STILL ~ love it!

                Hhhmmm, . . . do ya think that "Professional" is just another word for . . . Bloody Freaking Insane!!!??? LOL